U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,154 times

Advertisements

I'm 18 and just starting in college. I've been debating recently about where I would like to live after I graduate, and am in a position from which I can plan in advance.

What do you think are some of the best cities in the US for human interest? I'm thinking of this beyond the merely academic terms of culture such as culture of museums, symphonies, and restaurants. I'm thinking of a city that really lays bare the full gamut of the human experience.

Broadly, then, what do you think is the most interesting city in the country on the basis of its 'human' interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 PM

823 posts, read 3,376,041 times
Based on your description I would say New York City.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM

70 posts, read 296,611 times
Even though I wouldn't want to live in these cities, I'd say your best bets, in this order, are:

1. New York City
2. San Francisco
3. Boston
4. Seattle

Lots of everything and outdoors stuff nearby (which is why I didn't include Chicago).

Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 AM

25 posts, read 79,627 times
Oh 'ya already know the answer! lol. Seriously, I'd agree with sioviodante. Those are pretty much your choices.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:03 PM

80 posts, read 435,972 times
New York would have to be the ultimate destination in this category as it has been defined.

I like Silviodante's list, but these would be my Top 5:

1. New York
2. Washington, D.C.
3. San Francisco
4. Chicago
5. Los Angeles

Washington, D.C. is #2 on my list because behind New York it is quite a "melting pot" within the U.S. and for the nations. As I've told people before, what others learn as national and international news almost always is in some ways "local" here.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
There are quite a few outdoor activities in Chicago. It has arguably some of the best city parks in the nation, nearby ski resorts in Wisconsin and NW Illinois, abundant fishing and hunting nearby, the lakefront and beaches....

Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,919,242 times
Without a doubt NYC--a human interest each minute of each day--and some worthy of a good short-story.

Other cities are fascinating, and offer enormous opportunities, but no city has the sheer volume of diversity and oddity all in one package and often delivered to your door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Based on your description I would say New York City.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,759,755 times
Look past the obvious. A 22 year old solo in NYC is going to be tough. I would also contend that Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Dallas, San Diego, et. cetera are far above par. Alot are easier on the wallet too.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,919,242 times
Solo in NYC--hard but not impossible. But if the "human interest" is the top priority, I'd go with other cities as runner-ups: Boston, San Francisco, New Orleans (even today), Austin (perhaps), Seattle and even Portland (Or).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Look past the obvious. A 22 year old solo in NYC is going to be tough. I would also contend that Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Dallas, San Diego, et. cetera are far above par. Alot are easier on the wallet too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or