U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,454,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
Your guess are very wrong, not even close...
Good to know.

If you want to be around less "fake" people, start hanging around people with less money.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:43 PM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.
I live in Midwest. I notice that people are very fake here, a mean fake smiles, fake emotions...
I really don't like all this artificial fake. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone. I just don't like fake...
Please tell me, is it everywhere in USA, or in some places the situation is different? Where people (relations) are more real? And where most people are fake?
Thank you...

P.S. And another question. Did anyone notice this fake too, or I'm just crazzy?
Why do you think they're fake?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,142,570 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.
I live in Midwest. I notice that people are very fake here, a mean fake smiles, fake emotions...
I really don't like all this artificial fake. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone. I just don't like fake...
Please tell me, is it everywhere in USA, or in some places the situation is different? Where people (relations) are more real? And where most people are fake?
Thank you...

I know how you feel, kind of. Here if I say what's on my mind, exactly how it is on my mind, it's no problem. If I do the same while visiting family in Texas or Mississippi, it's considered rude, blunt, or something you just don't do. It was worse in Mississippi than in Texas, though. People were more likely to smile and wait for you to leave, instead of just asking you what was on their mind. They consider it politness/hospitality though. They put a big emphasis on not offending someone. It was crazy to me though, because the things they find offensive would be normal here.

I guess it's just an example of the different cultures and views that make up the U.S.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM

59 posts, read 207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I know how you feel, kind of. Here if I say what's on my mind, exactly how it is on my mind, it's no problem. If I do the same while visiting family in Texas or Mississippi, it's considered rude, blunt, or something you just don't do. It was worse in Mississippi than in Texas, though. People were more likely to smile and wait for you to leave, instead of just asking you what was on their mind. They consider it politness/hospitality though. They put a big emphasis on not offending someone. It was crazy to me though, because the things they find offensive would be normal here.

I guess it's just an example of the different cultures and views that make up the U.S.
You hit the target. Is it less fake in the East Coas(Boston, New York) than in the West Coast (California)?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
It's like that here in the South. People call it "being cordial" Everyone is friendly to your face because no one wants enemies. I've gotten used to it.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:20 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,154,332 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.
Thank you...

Where precisely in the Midwest do you live? The reason I ask is because I find that people in the Great Lakes cities (Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland) to be the most forthright people aside from folks on the East Coast (NYC, Phila, Boston). I'm not sure I would use the word "fake" either, but it's more of an unwillingness to just say what you're really thinking and feeling. People dance around things in an effort not to offend people, but it can get really frustrating when you constantly have to reinterpret everything people say to find the true meaning.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,249,222 times
Quote:

I might suggest this for another room, but not here. Browse around. Sorry.

Did that sound fake?

Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM

59 posts, read 207,344 times
Default Where most "fake people" live? North? South? East? West?

I don't like fake behavior.

1. Why are people in Minnesota so fake?

2. Is it everywhere in US like this? Or not?

3. Where are also a lot of fake people?

4. Where I should move if I don't like to see this fake smiles and fake behavior every day?
So tired of it.

Thank you, for your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.