U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 PM

59 posts, read 207,327 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.
I live in Midwest. I notice that people are very fake here, a mean fake smiles, fake emotions...
I really don't like all this artificial fake. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone. I just don't like fake...
Please tell me, is it everywhere in USA, or in some places the situation is different? Where people (relations) are more real? And where most people are fake?
Thank you...

P.S. And another question. Did anyone notice this fake too, or I'm just crazzy?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,031,191 times
I know what you mean. But I am not sure if fake is the right word.

The locals are not as open to new ideas or new residents but they are genuinely polite.

There is also a severe lack of proactivity in this part of Missouri which may come across as empty promises, but in actuality is just people being lazy.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,322,024 times
Not much in the US is genuine. This is an artificial society.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Mountain people back home in Arkansas were often fairly sincere. This isn't always that great though. If they hated your race or your religion they'd tell you, sometimes in rather hurtful ways. (This is why people talking about the "two-faced" nature of "The South" confuse me. I know what they mean is more "lowland upper-class South", but they're not always real specific)

Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
I've found more fake people outside the Midwest actually.

In the end a lot of it comes down to how you actually project yourself, and how you're interpreting people's reactions to that. People are people no matter where you go.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlusPlus View Post
Hello everybody.
I live in Midwest. I notice that people are very fake here, a mean fake smiles, fake emotions...
I really don't like all this artificial fake. Sorry, I don't want to offend anyone. I just don't like fake...
Please tell me, is it everywhere in USA, or in some places the situation is different? Where people (relations) are more real? And where most people are fake?
Thank you...

I think your confusing fakeness with politeness.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:17 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,821,360 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.
Thank you...

I'll let you in on a little secret that even Americans have trouble grasping. If you're real to them, they'll be real back to you. Some people won't like that you're truthful or blunt, it will make them uncomfortable, but since it sounds like you don't like trading sincerity for politeness, you won't really miss not having them as friends, anyway.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,450,303 times
Quote:
Hello everybody.
Thank you...

I'm going to guess that you're between the age of 17 and 21. I don't mean this in a mean way, but I felt the same way around that time.

I have never thought of the Midwest (outside of Chicago) as a "fake place". I grew up in Southern California, the land of fake.

No matter where you are, you'll find fake people. You'll just have to convince yourself that you are above that. I'm in a fairly "fake" place now, and it isn't causing me any problems.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,821,360 times
lol, Holden Caulfield-esque comparison, "How old are you?!"

Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM

59 posts, read 207,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I'm going to guess that you're between the age of 17 and 21. I don't mean this in a mean way, but I felt the same way around that time.

I have never thought of the Midwest (outside of Chicago) as a "fake place". I grew up in Southern California, the land of fake.

No matter where you are, you'll find fake people. You'll just have to convince yourself that you are above that. I'm in a fairly "fake" place now, and it isn't causing me any problems.
Your guess is very wrong, not even close...

Last edited by PlusPlus; 12-16-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.