U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times

Advertisements

There are some parts of the Bible Belt where drunkenness really is less common. However I'd agree otherwise. Plenty of promiscuity, etc in the "Bible Belt."

American Vice: Mapping the 7 Deadly Sins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,141,407 times
I don't know how much of northern Louisiana and southeastern Texas fit under the belt, but I can safely say they it skips a large portion of Louisiana.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
There are some parts of the Bible Belt where drunkenness really is less common. However I'd agree otherwise. Plenty of promiscuity, etc in the "Bible Belt."

I dunno. I was in a "dry county" in Arkansas on a canoe trip and I've never seen so many drunk people in my life. Not to mention all the other things that were going on. It was like floating redneck Mardi Gras.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Just saying how the statistics generally work. I can't speak to every anecdotal experience, but the "Bible Belt" states do have below average rates of drinking.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/co5.html
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Although there are some heavily Mormon places that might be more that way.

Last edited by Yac; 12-21-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 11:52 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,500,351 times
I found much of Oregon could be in the Bible Belt. The state really gives out some misleading information about itself. The entire state is not a Progressive liberal mecca of live and let live types. With the exception of Portland (and not all of it). Eugene, Ashland and maybe parts of the coast. The rest of this state especially Southern Oregon is very religious. Yet with such a dominant religious culture in much of the state, and the parts of Portland that are so Radical in their beliefs it is a strange mixture of people and beliefs. The amount of poverty, homelessness, drug useage and unemployment, is very high statewide for such a big state with really not that big a population. I wonder how much this completely different mixture of beliefs and views on issues, plays into the problems this state has with its population and its social woes. Religious views and politics play into much of the politics here. THere is rarely an election when an initiative driven by religious groups is not making its way to the ballot. Then in turn a Radical group is out collecting signatures, to get an initiative on the ballot to legalize pot or some other drug.

Very different type of state. Not for me I'm moving in 2010 after 4 years here.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:57 AM

16,967 posts, read 22,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I feel like the Bible Belt is a part of the country where people talk about the Bible a lot but it doesn't really influence their behavior. I grew up in a small town and I know a lot of people from small towns across the "Bible Belt" Their behavior is no different from everyone else. Most of them started drinking in high school, a large number of girls (at least 30) I graduated high school with 2 years ago are now unwed mothers. The Bible Belt is really no different from the rest of the country.
All people are imperfect and always will be.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,011,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
All people are imperfect and always will be.
I'm not arguing otherwise, on the contrary, I'm arguing that the Bible Belt is just like the rest of the country in the fact that people here are far from perfect. The term "Bible Belt" is very misleading.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:29 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Cool map!

I always laugh at stuff like this...the traditional "Bible Belt" is statistically more evil than the Heretics up in the Northeast...with the exception of Greed (give me money!!)

I remember while I was at Clemson, people would talk about the neighborly-love of the South and how Northerners were so cold to one another. I would always stand there with a shat-eating grin on my face and nod while thinking "if only you knew what the statistics showed".

Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

16,967 posts, read 22,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I'm not arguing otherwise, on the contrary, I'm arguing that the Bible Belt is just like the rest of the country in the fact that people here are far from perfect. The term "Bible Belt" is very misleading.
The term Bible Belt isn't entirely misleading as it's an accurate reference to part of the culture of the area. Whether or not that makes the people any different, worse or better, is irrelevant to the term.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,582 times
I've heard of Nashville being nicknamed the "Protestant Vatican"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or