U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,543,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Natural disasters hit many places irrespective of their religion or religious intensity.

I don't think most Christianity teaches that religious people will be completely spared from natural disasters.
I'm sure your right...

But I just always hear bible belt sentiment of people there always wishing California would just 'drop off the coast' do to earthquake or some other natural disaster...

Or putting down the NE...Jersey, New York ect ect...

So I guess if there is a God, it's obviously not a respecter of persons...
And our measure of 'judgement' sure has nothing at all to do with his...

Cause the devistation being wreaked in the bible belt, as of lately, is nothing like anything occuring all over the planet...

It's like carpet bombing from the sky or something...

Our fighter jets couldn't do this kind of damage in a a year worth of bombing...

This is like some 3rd world stuff or something...3rd world devistation...

Or maybe demons are causing all this havoc...

demons do not like the bible or christians, so maybe instead of saying it's from god, maybe Demons are going after christians now, and useing nature as their weapon...

Last edited by Time and Space; 03-04-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,986,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Much of Indiana, Ohio and Missouri seem like the Bible Belt in a lot of ways. As a Christian, I think thats a GOOD thing!

Southern Ohio definitely. There are many dry towns east of Cincinnati.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although I'm Catholic I didn't get into Catholic because it might be "too different."

Louisiana is listed by Gallup as among "the most religious" states and is quite Catholic.

"State of the States" Series
Religious Identity: States Differ Widely

Many Cajuns I think are still fairly conservative, if not always virtuous, Catholics. Although at times they believed in racial segregation even though this was out of conformity with Church tradition against racism. Interesting, possibly related to that, Louisiana traditionally has about the largest populations of African American Catholics in the nation. Certainly one of the longest traditions of it exempting Maryland.

Nebraska and the Dakotas have some highly conservative Catholic counties. Cedar County, Nebraska didn't even go for JFK, although it did go for LBJ. Also they had that Nebraska archbishop who was going to excommunicate people for belonging to Pro-Euthanasia or Pro-Abortion groups. (A view I agreed with by and large)

Northern Louisiana is primarily Baptist. Southern Louisiana is mainly Catholic.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Extreme Southern Iowa I would say has Bible Belt influences. Illinois, indiana, and Ohio the last time I checked were all around 14% Baptist. I would suspect not only or southern portions but the central portions of these states have a large percentage of baptists. They may not always be the dominant religion but I would suspect there are a large number who associate with it. Regardless, with all of the Midwest states influenced by the Bible Belt, the major cities (KC, St. Louis, Cincy, Indy, Columbus, etc.) are all far more Catholic. Another thing to keep in mind is that many African Americans are Southern Baptists.

My experience in Cincinnati is there are a lot of non-practicing Catholics there.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM

3,359 posts, read 6,543,186 times
Or maybe it's old ancient Indian or native American wishes, coming to priminition, for being ran off their lands...

These lands were once occupied by Indians...and maybe it's the spirits of the indians that are wreaking such havoc through the sky...by causing these tornadoes to practically surgically remove towns from the bible belt...

Old 03-04-2012, 12:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,007,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Extreme Southern Iowa I would say has Bible Belt influences. Illinois, indiana, and Ohio the last time I checked were all around 14% Baptist. I would suspect not only or southern portions but the central portions of these states have a large percentage of baptists. They may not always be the dominant religion but I would suspect there are a large number who associate with it. Regardless, with all of the Midwest states influenced by the Bible Belt, the major cities (KC, St. Louis, Cincy, Indy, Columbus, etc.) are all far more Catholic. Another thing to keep in mind is that many African Americans are Southern Baptists.
This is mostly true, except most African-Americans aren't Southern Baptist. They're part of historically black denominations, and Southern Baptist is not one of them. So when you see numbers for Southern Baptists, on this website for example The Association of Religion Data Archives - U.S. and World Religion Statistics and Data - ARDA Those numbers don't include historically black churches.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
This is mostly true, except most African-Americans aren't Southern Baptist. They're part of historically black denominations, and Southern Baptist is not one of them. So when you see numbers for Southern Baptists, on this website for example The Association of Religion Data Archives - U.S. and World Religion Statistics and Data - ARDA Those numbers don't include historically black churches.
I read something different from somewhere, but there's clearly no arguing with this, so I'll have to believe you.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
Despite what I said I think there are African-American Southern Baptists. They're listed as 86% white and 2.4% Hispanic. For some reason black is not listed, but I'd guess a fair percent of the other 11.6% are Black. If less than half of that 11.6% are black that would still be up to 5.7% of a 16.2 million people and 900,000+ could count as "many."

Neat resource.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,449,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Or maybe it's old ancient Indian or native American wishes, coming to priminition, for being ran off their lands...

These lands were once occupied by Indians...and maybe it's the spirits of the indians that are wreaking such havoc through the sky...by causing these tornadoes to practically surgically remove towns from the bible belt...
Or, it's just weather in the middle of the country and has nothing to do with what people believe or don't believe.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,121,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Or, it's just weather in the middle of the country and has nothing to do with what people believe or don't believe.
Amen......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or