U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM

610 posts, read 2,755,752 times

Advertisements

What states are included in the "Bible Belt"? I know it is mainly southern states, but what are the other states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times
The main states I would say are a part of the bible belt are:
Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas, East Texas, North and North Central Florida, North Carolina.... and to a lesser extent; Kentucky, Southwest Virginia and West Virginia.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM

146 posts, read 458,880 times
Texas is known as the Bible Buckle

Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Although not entirely relational there's this map of counties by Baptist population.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...on/baptist.gif

And this map more specific to Southern Baptists. I think it's more dated though as it's from 1990.

http://www.adherents.com/maps/map_us_sbc.jpg

Generally I'd say Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Tennessee would count. (Not that all parts of each state would) In one survey Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, and West Virginia had the highest percentages believing the Bible is literally true.

Outside the "traditional South" there are places that might count. Parts of West Michigan have been called "The Michigan Bible Belt" as they have strong/conservative Dutch Reformed Church presence. More direct might be parts of Southern Missouri that have high percentages of Southern Baptists and Pentecostals. Dunkin County, Missouri is 70% Southern Baptist or Pentecostal.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Dunklin_County-MO.html

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-16-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,505,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
I thought the Greenville-Spartanburg was known as the buckle on the Bible Belt...maybe I'm wrong.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM

4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times
I should have included parts of Oklahoma and Southern Missouri in that mix as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 32,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
There are lots of places that are called the "buckle" of the Bible Belt. I think Nashville has the more legitimate claim since it's the headquarters of the Southern Baptist Convention, the Church of Christ, the Gideons, and the United Methodists' publishing house. More Bibles are printed in Nashville than anywhere else in the country. Nashville also has several universities with religious affiliations:

Aquinas (Catholic)
Belmont (Southern Baptist--well, sort of)
Lipscomb (Church of Christ)
Trevecca (Nazarene)
Vanderbilt (not really a religious school anymore, but it was founded as a Methodist school and still has a large divinity school which Al Gore flunked out of)

Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Nashville does seem to have one of the best claims. The "National Association of Freewill Baptists" seems to be headquartered in Nashville as well. Other possibilities coming to mind.

Greenville, South Carolina - The city, or county at least, is home of Bob Jones University.

Springfield, Missouri - "Baptist Bible College" and headquarters for the "Baptist Bible Fellowship International." Also has important Pentecostal schools like "Evangel University", "Assemblies of God Theological Seminary", and to a probably lesser extent"Central Bible College."

Chattanooga-Cleveland, Tennessee - Birthplace of "Church of God (Cleveland)" and home to "Tennessee Temple University."

Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,000,180 times
I feel like the Bible Belt is a part of the country where people talk about the Bible a lot but it doesn't really influence their behavior. I grew up in a small town and I know a lot of people from small towns across the "Bible Belt" Their behavior is no different from everyone else. Most of them started drinking in high school, a large number of girls (at least 30) I graduated high school with 2 years ago are now unwed mothers. The Bible Belt is really no different from the rest of the country.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,564,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I feel like the Bible Belt is a part of the country where people talk about the Bible a lot but it doesn't really influence their behavior. I grew up in a small town and I know a lot of people from small towns across the "Bible Belt" Their behavior is no different from everyone else. Most of them started drinking in high school, a large number of girls (at least 30) I graduated high school with 2 years ago are now unwed mothers. The Bible Belt is really no different from the rest of the country.
Exactly. There is a lot more Christian Culture down there, but not more true Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or