U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I was vacationing in Philadelphia in March, I decided to go to a liquor store to buy a six-pack of beer. Can't do! Not even at the nearest convenience store.

You must travel to the nearest beer dispensary to buy it.

How weird is that!
Yeah! Had the same experience in PA, years ago. What with their huge German and Catholic ancestry, it seem odd that such a law would've passed in the first place, even odder that it is still around! Anyone know the history of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I've heard of some neighborhoods that regulate what materials and what colors you can paint your house, some that ban solar panels on roofs, some suburbs that ban parking on the street, and some that ban outdoor clotheslines!
Yes, these are called HOA's.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM

44 posts, read 99,361 times
In my hometown of Jacksonville, FL; If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yes, these are called HOA's.
Well, HOAs suck!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,447,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I was vacationing in Philadelphia in March, I decided to go to a liquor store to buy a six-pack of beer. Can't do! Not even at the nearest convenience store.

You must travel to the nearest beer dispensary to buy it.

How weird is that!
New York is like that though. You can't buy beer at a liquor store, either. Convenience stores carry them though...as well as food stores.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,225,191 times
I don't know if it's still like this, but when I was growing up in New Jersey, beer and wine were only available at liquor stores and taverns. Supermarkets and convenience stores could not sell any alcohol.

Last edited by Rob Allen; 01-20-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 02:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
Default Developments in Florida do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I've heard of some neighborhoods that regulate what materials and what colors you can paint your house, some that ban solar panels on roofs, some suburbs that ban parking on the street, and some that ban outdoor clotheslines!
You can only paint your house the same color as the rest of the houses in your section. Everything is all the same, from trees to plants. One day coming home from work I was very tired and pulled into a driveway down the street from my house. THAT is how the identical things are.

The town that I lived in on LI had that outdoor clotheslines law, going back to the 1950s. Of course, who could see them in your backyard? Not even your neighbors since they were zoned half acres and we had woods in the back separating houses. I never heard of anyone getting a ticket for hanging their clothes outside in the 20 years I lived there. Stupid, uneforceable laws will ultimately be ignored. Law 101.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
In Maine it is still Illegal for men to urinate and look upward (towards the heavens) on Sunday.

In Newton, MA it is illegal to detonate a nuclear device within the city limits.

In Massachusetts it is illegal for mourners at a wake to eat any more than three (3) sandwiches.

In Massachusetts goatees are illegal unless one pays a special license fee to wear one in public.

In Massachusetts men must bring rifles to church on Sunday.

In Massachusetts gorillas are strictly forbidden from the rear seat of any vehicle.

In Massachusetts, tomatoes may not be used in the production of clam chowder.

In Massachusetts it is illegal for children (under 18) to purchase cigarettes, but there is NO age limit on smoking them. This means that a 4 year old can legally smoke a cigarette, he just can't purchase one.

Until this month, Prostitution was legal in Rhode Island as long as it took place indoors.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM

957 posts, read 1,941,243 times
"In Massachusetts gorillas are strictly forbidden from the rear seat of any vehicle."

I'll remember to leave my gorilla at home next time I'm in MA!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,780,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
"In Massachusetts gorillas are strictly forbidden from the rear seat of any vehicle."

I'll remember to leave my gorilla at home next time I'm in MA!
Nah, just buckle him into the front passenger seat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.