U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:51 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,812,134 times
The Jaguars won't be moving to L.A, according to latest press releases. It's not confirmed yet, but it's nearly impossible for that relocation to even occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:19 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,094,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
There are tons of Cowboys fans in San Antonio because there is no team here. Once a team is put in place here, San Antonio Cowboys fans will switch their loyalty. The Cowboys will be the number two team in South texas. This was a topic of conversation with a room full of Cowboys fans here in San Antonio at a Cowboy game party i was at. A majority said they would switch in a heartbeat. San Antonio would have no problem supporting a team. The market size is cut in half cause Austin's market is just minutes away. Combined you would have the 17th largest market. BTW way I'm no Cowboy fan! Don't dislike them or anything.

Also when the Saints played in San Antonio they had like 62,000 people attend I would love to see San Antonio get either a NFL team or a MLB team

Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM

110 posts, read 232,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
I think California should only have 3 teams so one of the teams in California should move & I say not San Diego or San Francisco. I would however love to see a team move to San Antonio/Austin or New Mexico or Oklahoma. If Jacksonville does move I hope they keep the name. L.A. Jaguars. If Oakland moves I hope they change the name. How about the Los Angeles Sharks LOL & then we could have a Dolphin vs Shark Superbowl LOL
I think they should consider putting a struggling team (i.e. Jaguars) in a state with a rich college football heritage, such as Oklahoma or even Nebraska (if they could recieve support). Not so sure about New Mexico though.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Also when the Saints played in San Antonio they had like 62,000 people attend I would love to see San Antonio get either a NFL team or a MLB team
MLB wouldn't work out well for SA, but football just might.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM

21 posts, read 44,892 times
Hopefully, the Yankees will move to L.A. All the other NY teams have moved except for the Yankees. It's time for them to make their move.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkinTall View Post
Hopefully, the Yankees will move to L.A. All the other NY teams have moved except for the Yankees. It's time for them to make their move.
What I don't understand is, the largest city in our country has TWO football teams, (Jets and Giants) and how the second largest city in our country has been fighting for 16 years to get any NFL team possible, even if the team is trash.

Why can't NYC just give up one of their teams for LA?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
What I don't understand is, the largest city in our country has TWO football teams, (Jets and Giants) and how the second largest city in our country has been fighting for 16 years to get any NFL team possible, even if the team is trash.

Why can't NYC just give up one of their teams for LA?
Because NY deserves both those teams and they have great support for both those teams and LA did either a terrible job supporting the team or could not get a deal to build a new stadium for it's team when they had them. The Jets and Giants belong in the NY area.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
There are tons of Cowboys fans in San Antonio because there is no team here. Once a team is put in place here, San Antonio Cowboys fans will switch their loyalty. The Cowboys will be the number two team in South texas. This was a topic of conversation with a room full of Cowboys fans here in San Antonio at a Cowboy game party i was at. A majority said they would switch in a heartbeat. San Antonio would have no problem supporting a team. The market size is cut in half cause Austin's market is just minutes away. Combined you would have the 17th largest market. BTW way I'm no Cowboy fan! Don't dislike them or anything.
But the Cowboys would still be the dominate team in the state. If they are 2nd in South Texas behind San Antonio's team, they won't be far behind. Also, I always see people bring up Austin in support of San Antonio's team. It works for the NBA because I believe they had a team before Dallas got one AND SA has been a winning franchise for a couple decades now. But football is another story. It will always be a Longhorn town and Cowboy town second.

Even in Houston where the Texans are the obvious number 1, there is still a great amount of Cowboy fans there and the sports radio talks about them at times.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because NY deserves both those teams and they have great support for both those teams and LA did either a terrible job supporting the team or could not get a deal to build a new stadium for it's team when they had them. The Jets and Giants belong in the NY area.
That is true, LA lost both the Rams and the Raiders in the exact same week. Very shocking, and they made no effort to build a new stadium for either of those teams, and in 2002 when they were promised the expansion franchise, they didn't build a new stadium then either, the NFL commission gave it to Houston instead because LA's old stadium wasn't working for them, and Houston was building one for the new team.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 PM

904 posts, read 1,636,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
With LA it was more of a stadium problem than a market problem. The Coliseum was outdated long before the Northridge quake that damaged both it and Anaheim Stadium. They were supposed to get the expansion franchise that became the Houston Texans but they couldn't get a stadium deal worked out. If they do, expect a team to move there shortly after.

The idea that the second-largest city is inherently incapable of supporting an NFL franchise - as in attending games if there was a proper place for it to play games - is preposterous.
Not totally. The Cleveland Browns, before they moved to Baltimore in 1995, played in one of the worst and ****tiest stadiums, even worse then the Coliseum..which really isn't that bad at all when it boils down to it. The old Municipal Stadium was horrible, hell, some seats had a cement beam in front of them, that's how bad the architecture was, HOWEVER they STILL sold out every game they played and fans still came to support them no matter what, even when they were losing, they still came to that bad stadium.

If you're a true fan, you'll suck it up and deal with the stadium. Los Angeles is known by most as a front-running city. If the team is good, sure they'll get support, but when the team is bad, a lot of people choose to spend their money on the other hundreds of activities there are to do in Los Angeles, or just go to the beach for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or