U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 AM

15,587 posts, read 23,218,569 times

Advertisements

This thread is in the wrong forum. It needs to be moved to the Sports forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 PM

174 posts, read 354,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Hey L.A. Take the DETROIT LIONS! In return, give us Hollywood.
Hmmmm.....I think I'd rather keep the Lions if I were you.....

Not often you get to say that!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM

904 posts, read 1,636,245 times
I really don't want to see LA get a team. Seriously, the only the reason the NFL is playing with the idea...again is because they cannot stand the fact the second largest market in the United States doesn't have a money making machine (team) in that city. I could understand if they never tried to put a team there before, but they've tried multiple times and it's failed horribly. If the NFL wants to expand, they need to go to cities who've never had a team yet would have a very good chance at supporting a team. I'm not a fan of the whole Europe idea, however I wouldn't mind seeing Toronto get a team...as long as it's NOT the Buffalo Bills. The Bills fans are amazing and should keep their team. I believe Toronto can support a team, but it needs to be an expansion team or a team relocating from a city that no one really cares about. That leads me to my next point...

Even though I'm 23, I still remember in 1995 Art Modell moving the Cleveland Browns. People can say that they want about the city of Cleveland, but if you're an NFL fan, you know the Browns have some of the best fans in the NFL (their my fan team by the way). Modell wanted a new stadium, but realized it wouldn't come quick enough, so he sold a Cleveland team that sold out every game and had full support overnight to a new city for no better reason then he wanted a new stadium sooner. That is epic bull****...

In my opinion the NFL should not allow an owner to move a team if their in a city where the team is succeeding in revenue and support. Not every team can be good (Detroit Lions, Post 1999 Cleveland Browns), however sooner or later things will change for every team. But, if a team isn't good yet gets full support from their fans and make the NFL a quite a bit of money(which they love..), then the NFL should not allow those teams to leave. The Cleveland Browns in 1995 had everything but a good new stadium, but Cleveland said it wouldn't be anytime real real soon that they'd get a new one. Cleveland Browns had full support from the fans though and in interviews, both players and fans said the stadium didn't really bother them (even though it was pretty ****ty)....

Anyways, like I said, the NFL should not allow teams to move over petty stuff, especially if they have sold out stadiums every weekend, even when the team sucks. I'm all for teams moving though if they get very bad fan support and no support from the city. There is no point for a city to keep paying for a team that gets no fan support and makes no revenue for the NFL. If that's the case, then I can almost see where it'd make sense to move the team to a new city where they'd get better support. I know the NFL is a business, but it's multi-billion dollar business because of it's fans and I think it's a business that should respect their fans. If the city supports the team and the fan base is great, no matter how bad the team is the NFL should not allow owners to move the team, especially over stupid stuff like a new stadium...especially when the only person who hates the stadium is the owner.

Sorry to rant, just my 2 cents...

Old 12-18-2009, 01:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,759,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Good point. If the "active lifestyle" of the people of LA keep them from watching football on Sunday, how come it doesn't keep them from watching baseball 3 times a week?
I was thinking the same thing.... Denver and Seattle are the 2 most active cities with outdoor activities and they have no problem selling out every home NFL game.

Regarding the Bills:

I really hope they stay in Buffalo and do not move to toronto. The Buffalo fans are some of the most loyal and this would be just another bad thing to happen to that area

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,223 times
LA is getting a football team. It's allready in place and they're waiting to break ground on the new stadium by next year with apporval of a team moving which is most likely going to happaen either Jacksonville or san Diego are the most likey and the RAms too.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I really don't want to see LA get a team. Seriously, the only the reason the NFL is playing with the idea...again is because they cannot stand the fact the second largest market in the United States doesn't have a money making machine (team) in that city. I could understand if they never tried to put a team there before, but they've tried multiple times and it's failed horribly. If the NFL wants to expand, they need to go to cities who've never had a team yet would have a very good chance at supporting a team. I'm not a fan of the whole Europe idea, however I wouldn't mind seeing Toronto get a team...as long as it's NOT the Buffalo Bills. The Bills fans are amazing and should keep their team. I believe Toronto can support a team, but it needs to be an expansion team or a team relocating from a city that no one really cares about. That leads me to my next point..
who cares what you think LA is gettin a team

Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Why should L.A. have a team? That experiment has already failed. The NFL should ban any team's considering a move to L.A. until a place like San Antonio is given a chance.
Other cities that are big enough to support an NFL team but you don't hear in these discussions are Portland, Oregon (cuts into the Seahawks market though), Louisville, Kentucky (located close to the Bengals and Colts markets) and Salt Lake City. Those may be more viable options than L.A.
Also, I am completely against teams moving out of the country. I am even against the annual regular season game in London. The fact that the NFL Commissioner has mentioned that a Super Bowl in London is a possibility should have all 300 million American citizens shouting for his resignation.
Interesting topic, OP.

how lame. Your just scared that your stupid chargers might leave san diego. LA deserves a team more. San Diegans allways had beef with LA. people from LA allways like SD, but SD people hate LA. It not fair. I hope the ghargers move to LA too.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:45 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,389 times
Teams that should move:

Jacksonville Jags (too small of a market, low support, games dont sell out and are often blacked-out,
and the fans are very fareweather)

Arizona Cardinals (the 'fans' like to think of themselves as fans but they are only fareweather and dont
deserve having a team, and Phoenix generally does not have a lot of support for its
teams due to its transient population).

Cincinnati Bengals (low support, cant make money, and they are partly within the Colts' territory as
they are winning)

Oakland Raiders (too close to San Fran)

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Buffalo Bills

Detroit Lions

San Diego (too close to America's 2nd largest metro area of L.A)

Green Bay (by far the smallest NFL market)

Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM

115 posts, read 326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It is a business what do you expect its all about money. If a team is doing poorly in an area they should be able to move. If the city does not want to give a stadium to a team they should be able to move etc.. Its about money.

LA will have a team in 5-10 years. The other cities you mentioned never will.
...and then the team will fail once again in LA and get moved once again.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:53 PM

904 posts, read 1,636,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menos Grande View Post
who cares what you think LA is gettin a team
LOL @ you. It's a message board. We all have opinions. If you don't like someones opinion about LA getting an NFL team, suck it up and give us reasons why you think they should get a team. No need to be an ass and make stupid posts with short childish answers like you just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or