U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,656 posts, read 7,464,579 times
Reputation: 4327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Teams that should move:

Jacksonville Jags (too small of a market, low support, games dont sell out and are often blacked-out,
and the fans are very fareweather)

Arizona Cardinals (the 'fans' like to think of themselves as fans but they are only fareweather and dont
deserve having a team, and Phoenix generally does not have a lot of support for its
teams due to its transient population).

Cincinnati Bengals (low support, cant make money, and they are partly within the Colts' territory as
they are winning)

Oakland Raiders (too close to San Fran)

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Buffalo Bills

Detroit Lions

San Diego (too close to America's 2nd largest metro area of L.A)

Green Bay (by far the smallest NFL market)
Quit being a Phoenix-hater. It's like this in almost EVERY post of yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM
 
Location: The Queen City
174 posts, read 355,006 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Teams that should move:

Jacksonville Jags (too small of a market, low support, games dont sell out and are often blacked-out,
and the fans are very fareweather)

Arizona Cardinals (the 'fans' like to think of themselves as fans but they are only fareweather and dont
deserve having a team, and Phoenix generally does not have a lot of support for its
teams due to its transient population).

Cincinnati Bengals (low support, cant make money, and they are partly within the Colts' territory as
they are winning)

Oakland Raiders (too close to San Fran)

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Buffalo Bills

Detroit Lions

San Diego (too close to America's 2nd largest metro area of L.A)

Green Bay (by far the smallest NFL market)
The Bengals, Panthers, Titans, Bills and Packers??? Do you not follow football at all? I don't think any of those teams are having problems with fan support. The Lions win a few more and you'll see they are still supported as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,035,737 times
Reputation: 3829
Don't the citizens of Green Bay own a large share of the Packers? I also find it hard to believe the Bills will move. The chargers playaed their first season in LA and they are having stadium problems.

I'm still guessing that Jacksonville or the Rams will make the move to LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
 
2,097 posts, read 5,878,136 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Why should L.A. have a team? That experiment has already failed. The NFL should ban any team's considering a move to L.A. until a place like San Antonio is given a chance.
Other cities that are big enough to support an NFL team but you don't hear in these discussions are Portland, Oregon (cuts into the Seahawks market though), Louisville, Kentucky (located close to the Bengals and Colts markets) and Salt Lake City. Those may be more viable options than L.A.
Also, I am completely against teams moving out of the country. I am even against the annual regular season game in London. The fact that the NFL Commissioner has mentioned that a Super Bowl in London is a possibility should have all 300 million American citizens shouting for his resignation.
Interesting topic, OP.
I'm not really sure teams being close matters as long as there are fans. Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, and Colts are all relatively close to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
 
1,012 posts, read 2,248,447 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Quit being a Phoenix-hater. It's like this in almost EVERY post of yours.
I can B a Phoenix hater all I want, just as you can be a Phoenix lover. Its a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,037 posts, read 4,562,446 times
Reputation: 1422
I think pretty much the only team that can realistically move is the Jaguars. Jacksonville hardly ever sells out the stadium, they have two other teams to root for, and Jacksonville is too close to Falcons territory.

Im just glad my Saints arent in this discussion anymore. They never should have been. taking the Saints out of New Orleans would be destroying a part of the citys soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 AM
 
21,220 posts, read 30,452,593 times
Reputation: 19674
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Teams that should move:

Jacksonville Jags (too small of a market, low support, games dont sell out and are often blacked-out, and the fans are very fareweather)

Arizona Cardinals (the 'fans' like to think of themselves as fans but they are only fareweather and dont deserve having a team, and Phoenix generally does not have a lot of support for its teams due to its transient population).
Cincinnati Bengals (low support, cant make money, and they are partly within the Colts' territory as they are winning)

Oakland Raiders (too close to San Fran)

Carolina Panthers

Tennessee Titans

Buffalo Bills

Detroit Lions

San Diego (too close to America's 2nd largest metro area of L.A)

Green Bay (by far the smallest NFL market)

Since when does too small a market suggest a team shouldn't be there?

Jacksonville managed to average 65,000 fans per game last year in a stadium with capacity for 67,000, which was number 19 out of a 32 team league. So to suggest the fans aren't loyal doesn't fly. The reason the franchise hasn't been profitable is because the NFL and TV networks focus on a dozen or so teams who receive a heavy majority of national coverage, and massive TV revenues, as a result.

Many American sports fans have a "frontrunner" mentality when it comes to team "support". The sports media fans that flame with repetitive coverage of the same teams and certain star players day in and day out. A-Rod, Tiger, Kobe, Romo, Peyton, etc. Repetitive blah-blah about these overpaid, overexposed individuals prevents coverage time for teams like Jacksonville. (and other NFL teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers and Texans).

Lack of exposure leads to a perceived lack of relevancy, and the cycle continues.

2009 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,705 posts, read 11,113,418 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menos Grande View Post
how lame. Your just scared that your stupid chargers might leave san diego. LA deserves a team more. San Diegans allways had beef with LA. people from LA allways like SD, but SD people hate LA. It not fair. I hope the ghargers move to LA too.
You know, you really make yourself look childish and foolish when you say things like the above. Don't assume that just because I live in San Diego that I am a Chargers fan. I'm not. Far from it, actually, I am a Broncos fan.
You also say that L.A. deserves it more. Well, the Chargers may sometimes have trouble selling out home games, but the last time I checked, San Diego hasn't lost a franchise yet. L.A. has lost (count 'em) THREE! Yeah, they sound really deserving of another chance.
"It not fair". Free advice: drop this phrase from your lexicon. Once again, it makes you look childish and foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,705 posts, read 11,113,418 times
Reputation: 14107
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'm not really sure teams being close matters as long as there are fans. Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Lions, and Colts are all relatively close to each other.
I understand your point, but with the exception of the Colts, those other franchises have been there for over 50 years. Back then the location of a team was not as driven by media market as it is today.
When the league considers the relocation of a franchise or expansion, that is now something they consider. Take Cincy, for example. If the league considered moving a team to Louisville, the Bengals owner would likely oppose the move as it potentially cuts into his market. The NFL does not want to cut into the market of an already small market team.
For a team to relocate close to another team the population would have to be exceedingly large in order for there to be essentially an entirely new fan base created.
A good example is the Houston Texans. They replaced the Houston Oilers, so Houston was already an NFL city. They were close to Dallas and the Cowboys market, and even closer to New Orleans and the Saints market. But Houston is a big enough city that it could support its own team without drawing from the fans bases of nearby teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2009, 12:11 PM
 
11,902 posts, read 32,960,859 times
Reputation: 8685
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Since when does too small a market suggest a team shouldn't be there?

Jacksonville managed to average 65,000 fans per game last year in a stadium with capacity for 67,000, which was number 19 out of a 32 team league. So to suggest the fans aren't loyal doesn't fly. The reason the franchise hasn't been profitable is because the NFL and TV networks focus on a dozen or so teams who receive a heavy majority of national coverage, and massive TV revenues, as a result.

Many American sports fans have a "frontrunner" mentality when it comes to team "support". The sports media fans that flame with repetitive coverage of the same teams and certain star players day in and day out. A-Rod, Tiger, Kobe, Romo, Peyton, etc. Repetitive blah-blah about these overpaid, overexposed individuals prevents coverage time for teams like Jacksonville. (and other NFL teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, Panthers and Texans).

Lack of exposure leads to a perceived lack of relevancy, and the cycle continues.

2009 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN
Actually, that link you provided says that in 2009 Jacksonville has averaged 49,651 at its 8 home games which is only 73.9% of capacity and 31st out of 32 teams (only Oakland was lower).

According to that link, only 8 NFL teams have averaged sell-outs all season:

According to actual attendance:

Dallas
Baltimore
Philadelphia
Tennessee
New England
Seattle
Indianapolis
Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top