U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM

60 posts, read 132,390 times

Advertisements

1.) ALBUQUERQUE
2.) Denver
3.) Santa Fe
4.) El Paso
5.) Phoenix
I believe Albuquerque has the most Southwestern "like" things to do such as the 'National Firey Foods Expo' and the 'National Hispanic Cultural Center'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM

337 posts, read 466,825 times
Top Ten

1. Abuquerque
2. Las Cruces
3. Santa Fe
4. Roswell
5. Alamogordo
6. Deming
7. Durango
8. Farmington
9. El Paso
10. Tucson

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,374,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
That is good that they are affordable. However, as you can see from the photos, there are elements of "hard architecture" that is so boring in suburban Vegas, Phoenix, and Tucson: everything is at right angles, the trees are the same species, the colors are all the same, the sidewalk is separated from the street with a useless 20' gravel strip, the wall is the same color in front of every house, etc.

Compare this to older neighborhoods on the West Coast or Northeast or Colorado where each house is unique with its own suite of plant species. No restrictions on what you can plant, and the sidewalk is closer to the street, giving homeowners more privacy and more private property.

I guess the only two places that I've seen in the Southwest that are different from house to house are Nob Hill in Albuquerque and much of Santa Fe. I do not like HOA mandated restrictions.

Why not plant grass in the gravel strips?
Those planting strips are the absolute worse places to plant grass (because they are a heat island). I don't think anybody in Tucson would be foolish enough to do this. Also, I don't agree at all with your Colorado assertion. Most lots here use the same palette of borrowed eastern grass and trees. It's no longer legal for HOAs to mandate this, but tradition rules (in both old and new neighborhoods).

Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM

9,443 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzKpfw View Post
Top Ten

1. Abuquerque
2. Las Cruces
3. Santa Fe
4. Roswell
5. Alamogordo
6. Deming
7. Durango
8. Farmington
9. El Paso
10. Tucson
How anybody could put a cool eclectic and scenic city like Tucson below a poor and boring dump like Farmington, NM is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.