U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,053,448 times

Advertisements

San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM

22,894 posts, read 16,278,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

Actually, Phoenix has some of the most renowned museums in the West and Southwest and specialty museum unmatched in the nation. The Phoenix Art Museum could house both the "art" museums that reside in Albuquerque and Tucson, The Chicano Cultural Museum and Center similarly is a great and large resource in Phoenix. Let's not forget the Heard Museum, THE museum renowned for the largest collection of a "native people's culture and art in the U.S." I could go on with Frank Lloyd Wright's museums like Taliesin and Taliesin West, ASU's galleries and museums which has just won awards.
I have to say 'no' here. I've been to the Heard Museum and while it is a lovely collection, it is certainly not larger than the Heyes collection that used to be the American Indian Museum in NYC and that now makes up the heart of the collection of the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington D.C on the National Mall, with satellites in Manhattan and Maryland.

While I certainly agree that Phoenix has much to offer - the Botanic Garden is fabulous - it is sorely lacking the intimacy that makes other SW cities so appealing. There is nothing in Phoenix to rival Old Town in Albuquerque, the Plaza in Santa Fe or in Taos, and certainly nothing to rival the history of Taos alone, home to Taos Pueblo the longest continuously inhabited settlement in this country.
As for being 'cool' and 'walkable' I did not see anyplace in Phoenix proper to rival Central Ave. in Albuquerque, not even near ASU (oh, I forgot, not Phoenix is it - that's Tempe). Yes, there are some nice shops, but most are chains, found pretty much in any large city in the U.S.

I find the arts 'scenes' much more vibrant in Santa Fe and Taos - Santa Fe boasts the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, the world-renowned Santa Fe Opera and much, much more, all within some of the most beautiful landscape anywhere in the world. And while Phoenix has a respectable history, it is not present there the same way it is in the cities in New Mexico. I never got the same feeling of a melding of cultures in Phoenix the way that I do in Taos, Santa Fe, Alburquerque, Las Cruces and even El Paso that typifies ''southwestern'' to me. I get more of that sort of feeling in Flagstaff, which, by the way, boasts its own fabulous Native American museum - The Museum of Northern Arizona.

So, in short, my favorite southwestern cities are:
Taos,
Santa Fe,
Las Cruces,
El Paso

Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 AM

3,995 posts, read 8,868,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have to say 'no' here. I've been to the Heard Museum and while it is a lovely collection, it is certainly not larger than the Heyes collection that used to be the American Indian Museum in NYC and that now makes up the heart of the collection of the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington D.C on the National Mall, with satellites in Manhattan and Maryland.
You must have only visited the Scottsdale satellite museum if you call the heard a "lovely collection!" Not only is there interactive tolerance theater/museum but huge festivals on the extensive indoor/outdoor campus:
Quote:
Since its founding by Dwight and Maie Heard in 1929, the Heard Museum has grown in size and stature to become recognized internationally for the quality of its collections, its educational programming and its festivals. Dedicated to the sensitive and accurate portrayal of Native arts and cultures, the Heard is an institution that successfully combines the stories of American Indian people from a personal perspective with the beauty of art. Through innovative programs, world-class exhibitions and unmatched festivals, the Heard Museum sets the standard nationally for collaborating with Native people to present first-person voices. Partnerships with American Indian artists and tribal communities provide visitors with a distinctive perspective about the art and cultures of Native people, especially those from the Southwest. Heard Museum: World Famous for a Reason

The Heyes Collection is admirable but lacking compared to the experience at the Heard.
Quote:
While I certainly agree that Phoenix has much to offer - the Botanic Garden is fabulous - it is sorely lacking the intimacy that makes other SW cities so appealing. There is nothing in Phoenix to rival Old Town in Albuquerque, the Plaza in Santa Fe or in Taos, and certainly nothing to rival the history of Taos alone, home to Taos Pueblo the longest continuously inhabited settlement in this country.
As for being 'cool' and 'walkable' I did not see anyplace in Phoenix proper to rival Central Ave. in Albuquerque, not even near ASU (oh, I forgot, not Phoenix is it - that's Tempe). Yes, there are some nice shops, but most are chains, found pretty much in any large city in the U.S.
True about the history of the other Southwest cities, but that isn't the Western/Southwestern crux of Phoenix as a southwestern hub. It is the modern, active, and large heart of the region. The lifeblood of the inter-mountain west that make is a junction of regional influence. It is hard to compare Phoenix' new flare to those of the much smaller towns in the region.

Central Ave in Albuquerque more cool and walkable than anyplace in Phoenix proper! LMAO! Sorry, but it doesn't even compare to downtown Mesa! Mill Ave in Tempe is much more vibrant, cool, and densely populated than any other region in the southwest HANDS DOWN! There aren't too many chains on Mill as well...

Quote:
I find the arts 'scenes' much more vibrant in Santa Fe and Taos - Santa Fe boasts the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, the world-renowned Santa Fe Opera and much, much more, all within some of the most beautiful landscape anywhere in the world. And while Phoenix has a respectable history, it is not present there the same way it is in the cities in New Mexico. I never got the same feeling of a melding of cultures in Phoenix the way that I do in Taos, Santa Fe, Alburquerque, Las Cruces and even El Paso that typifies ''southwestern'' to me. I get more of that sort of feeling in Flagstaff, which, by the way, boasts its own fabulous Native American museum - The Museum of Northern Arizona.
The Georgia O'Keefe Museum...um, ok yeah thats ok...but really? Where the action, the new mixed with old in that. The huge modern collection at PAM with the Monet and fashion exhibits that attracted the Mets directors. Read about the showcase on PAM's website...there really aren't any "melding of cultures" in cities other than Phoenix.

There is only one dominant culture in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, and El Paso...you don't have large Cuba, Dominican, German, British, Vietnamese, Indian (India), etc etc populations and areas that help influence a new type of southwestern culture in Phoenix and the metro area. It is something that can't be had but in Arizona. Even Flagstaff has more of this international influence than El Paso...

Old 01-29-2010, 06:04 PM

11,290 posts, read 7,880,663 times
THe best list which is also the most authentic
ABQ
El Paso - a close 2nd
Tucson
Phoenix

Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 AM

580 posts, read 940,868 times
Austin all the way! Even though as many have said, it's really not that Southwestern and only somewhat Texan!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 AM

5,648 posts, read 7,451,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Austin all the way! Even though as many have said, it's really not that Southwestern and only somewhat Texan!
I'll have to echo what's been said before. Having lived in Dallas, Austin, Tucson, and Phoenix, Austin is most certainly not a Southwestern city, nor does it feel like one.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 23,187,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, El Paso, or ?
Las Vegas by far.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,092,825 times
Defanatly the Phoenix area or Tucson

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 AM

190 posts, read 422,603 times
el paso. much lower crime and a very low murder rate (the lowest of any large city in america), great mountain views and a nice place to be in general. there is a great vibe there and the hispanc culture is genuine in el paso. people are very friendly and the resturaunts are some of the best!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
el paso. much lower crime and a very low murder rate (the lowest of any large city in america), great mountain views and a nice place to be in general. there is a great vibe there and the hispanc culture is genuine in el paso. people are very friendly and the resturaunts are some of the best!
i've really wanted to check out El Paso. what are some spots to go to there? southwesternally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.