U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 PM

343 posts, read 846,476 times

Advertisements

I think people should be careful not to overinterpret this list as being all that meaningful. Remember that this is AVERAGE 'happiness' and does not take into account variation around the average. The state with the lowest average happiness could conceivably have the happiest and least happy person in the US. Although no scores are given, it's probably safe to assume that differences between the states are rather slight, probably far less than the variance of the happiness distribution. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions about the circumstances in US states based on this ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 PM

350 posts, read 630,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
posted December 31, 2010
Why are these OLD, old, old threads revived?? - I never look at the date at the top to see when it was posted as I just assume it was a few days ago. Gosh is it so misleading....

Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 PM

359 posts, read 266,449 times
hahahahahah connecticut.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
How is Alaska so high on the list when its suicide rate is through the roof?
Because all the unhappy people have killed themselves, leaving the happy ones to respond to the survey. And they're glad the grumpy depressed ones are gone.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,948,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Why are these OLD, old, old threads revived?? - I never look at the date at the top to see when it was posted as I just assume it was a few days ago. Gosh is it so misleading....
heh, I was referring to the age of the article you posted.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
I just left Connecticut and moved to North Dakota for financial reasons, but the State of Connecticut is such a mess,
too much government, too much red tape, government workers are horrible especially at DMV, police are abusive,
court judges need to be replaced by ones who are familiar with the internet, taxes are high, their basically is no middle class,
you are struggling or well off, unless you have a good secure job and I wood recommend that anyone moving to Connecticut
have a lawyer on retainer of no less than $20,000. If you are any type of self-employed contractor don't trust people at all.
I don't care how friendly they are. Make sure you have deposits up front or payments at the beginning of everyday.
I am telling you this for you own good, stay out of Madison CT or wealthier communities they are the best con-artist.
I was self employed for 4 years in Colorado and never had a problem and then I moved to Connecticut for 7 years and my
******* still hurts from all the work I did for free or paid to do. Don't forget to get a Home improvement license or any
of the contracts you write will be worthless, I learned this the hard way. This is the state I grew up in, but when your
young you don't know these things. BEWARE OF CONNECTICUT,there is a reason it is #50 on the list above

Old 06-24-2012, 02:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,781,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Hmm, I'm generally less happy when there's lots of sun and more happy when it's overcast, or at least patchy clouds. Basically, when it's really bright and sunny I'm often irritable. I always find it a bit of a foreign concept that so many seem to associate sunshine with happiness. But apparently most do.
Agree.

"amount of sunsine" doesnt equate with "happiness", which is a wholly subjective term anyway.

These studies are like reading "Money" magazine, or taking CNN's "Top 10 best cities" at face value. Media outlets get paid by their advertisers to promote certain tourism areas.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:27 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,238,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Agree.

"amount of sunsine" doesnt equate with "happiness", which is a wholly subjective term anyway.

These studies are like reading "Money" magazine, or taking CNN's "Top 10 best cities" at face value. Media outlets get paid by their advertisers to promote certain tourism areas.
Not this one. This was compiled by the CDC.

Pre-Katrina, New Orleans was found to not only have the highest level of self-reported satisfaction of citizens in their own city, but also the lowest percentage of people who suffered from major mental illnesses.

Post-K it became a mess. Imagine a million people who all have PTSD and travel from one group therapy session to another, because that's what every party turned into.

This study was done 5 years later and even the lingering effects of Katrina and the high levels of pollution etc. couldn't keep us out of first place. That means that the self-reported level of happiness was very, VERY high.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:21 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,781,794 times
CDC has its own agenda, as well. The study was done by a govt agency, after Katrina.....hmm.....

New Orleans is interesting, I will give you that
The French Quarter has great food and music

I hope it someday gets re-built as well as Thailand did after the tsunami in 2004.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:55 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,238,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
CDC has its own agenda, as well. The study was done by a govt agency, after Katrina.....hmm.....

New Orleans is interesting, I will give you that
The French Quarter has great food and music

I hope it someday gets re-built as well as Thailand did after the tsunami in 2004.
The study mentioned in this thread was done in 2010. the 1 I mentioned was done before katrina.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or