Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 AM

1 posts, read 953 times

Advertisements

Having just graduated college this past June with a bachelors degree in engineering, I find myself wanting to relocate from Cincinnati. I was born, raised and lived my entire life so far in Cincinnati. Didn't travel much growing up, and therefore have not had the chance to experience other cities or states. Looking for recommendations on a general area or even state to focus my job search on. The plan is to narrow down a specific region and then job hunt within that area, BEFORE I move from Cincinnati. In today's economy I feel that it is too dangerous to relocate without having a job secured first. All recommendations will be appreciated, if you have any experience with specific places either good or bad please describe them.

What I am looking for in my relocation destination.

Weather:

I am not bothered by the extreme hot or cold. Prefer lower humidity and MUST have snow in the winter/white Christmas. I believe the snow in winter requirement limits me to the northern half of the country.

Geography:
I really enjoy spending time outdoors. Fishing, hiking, mountain bike riding, motorsports you name it. I much prefer plush greenery with mountains compared to open dry plains or desert. My dream is to own a small farm later in life when finances allow. One thing that I would like pursue further would be scuba diving. I have been to the beach one time in my life and really enjoyed it. It would be nice to have larger bodies of water nearby whether it be large lakes or the ocean. Local diving would be nice, but I think I would rather have snow in the winter.

Culture:
Politically I am rather conservative and am a practicing Christian. Not much for the large nightlife scene. Always looking to make new friends so a large active younger generation would be nice. Currently I am single and potentially looking to meet my future wife. Would like to relocate to an area with similar values. On the other hand I appreciate the diversity of different cultures and people. I enjoy the slower way of life that some refer to as a sort of country life style. I would like for my destination to be a good place to start and raise a family; so low crime, good education opportunities and overall economic stability are extremely important to me.

One location that keeps popping up is Colorado. The only downside that I can see is that it is so secluded from Cincinnati. Occasionally I would like to visit friends and family back in Cincinnati. Moving to Colorado would realistically require a plane ticket to get back to Cincinnati. Not to mention the initial cost of moving some of my stuff out there.

For a while I was considering the south, primarily the Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia area. I realize that I would probably have to give up my wish for snow in the winter, but I have heard great things about the culture down south and I think it may fit my personality rather well.

This is a major life decision for me, which I have spent countless hours researching. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
If you can find a job, Grand Rapids MI would be a great choice.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'd suggest Minneapolis (Denver's sister city in many ways), but Ohioans don't seem to do well in MN (don't seem to like it there).

~11-12 hours to Cincy by car.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Indianapolis i would recommend.
Huge population of young generation people that live in the city.
The top 2 demographic groups in Indy are the Baby Boomers and the Young Generation.
2nd its only a 1.5 hour drive from Cincy and a 3 hour drive to Chicago.
Plus it has the nations most affordable housing market and lowest cost of living.
Also its the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest and has the strongest economy in the midwest aside from Minneapolis.
Indiana also has a balanced budget with 1% capped property taxes and a 3.4% flat rate income tax and 7% sales.
Indiana/Indy are also conservative which would fit your taste. The state also has a large christain population. Especially around Indianapolis.
Also Indy is a very clean green city with one of the largest urban parks in the US. Eagle Creek and White River State park. Plenty of new trails are being built around the city for hiking and biking.
Finally Indianapolis is ranked as a top city to raise a family by forbes.com and many other sources. We have the worlds largest Childrens Museum and a wonderful sports scene for families the NCAA is also headquartered in Indy and the city has a contract to host the NCAA men and womens final four every 5 years. The Suburb of Fishers is the safest city in the United States according to QA crime rankings.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
I second the vote for Indianapolis and would throw Lexington, KY in the mix too. May be a little more humid than you're looking for.

I haven't been to either city, but am searching for a place to move with much of the same criteria you have and Lexington fits the bill for me.

Good luck! You're very smart to secure work first.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Well Indianapolis has alot more amendities than Lexington KY and better yet its only a 3 hour drive from Chicago and Lake Michigan and 4 hours from the Mountains in addition theres alot more festivites and events held in the Indy area. Heck we just got done hosting Super Bowl 46 with no flaws.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:01 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you can find a job, Grand Rapids MI would be a great choice.
This should help: Engineer jobs in Grand Rapids, MI - Indeed Mobile

It is an area known for being more conservative and with a high amount of church attendees. It is close to Lake Michigan and is an area that has held steady. There are quite a few Christian schools in the area too.

Grand Rapids Official Website - Hotels, Vacations, Restaurants, Travel, Events - Experience Grand Rapids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.