U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
I wouldn't just drive around Bessemer unless I knew where I was going.

yeah, I was just talking with a lady from Birmingham the other day about this, I told her I got lost in Bessemer and her eyes got really BIG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,167,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
yeah, I was just talking with a lady from Birmingham the other day about this, I told her I got lost in Bessemer and her eyes got really BIG!

Haha my eyes did the same thing when I read it!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,131,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
What would be some good places in the Deep South (Georgia or Mississippi) to get a real "southern" feel, like Civil War battlefields, old plantations, monuments, southern hospitality (if it's real) and whatnot?

Maybe some southern and transplant users can help me out.

I am also kind of un-used to traveling across the country, and I have never been outside the west (but I have if you count Texas as south).

DK
What route are you planning to take, DK? And how long do you have to spend on your trip?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,140,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What route are you planning to take, DK? And how long do you have to spend on your trip?
Don't quite know yet, but it will take 5-7 days for the trip altogether.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,845,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't expect Memphis to be anything like eastern TN, I've been there plenty of times and it's certainly not my cup of tea.

If you really want to experience the deep south in Mississippi, go to some of the smaller towns along the gulf coast like Lucedale or Wiggins. If you come to Alabama you could cruise around the towns of Bayou La Batre and Coden (south of Mobile), you'll feel like you're in Forrest Gump. Stop by Mary's Place and get some seafood, you won't find any fresher.

And don't rule out the Florida panhandle either, it's very much still part of the deep south, unlike South Florida.
yes we don't call it the panhandle but the redneck Riviera or lower Alabama. Take your pick! Oh and you should have said unlike most of Florida instead.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:01 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,131,465 times
Quote:
Don't quite know yet, but it will take 5-7 days for the trip altogether.

Well, I was going to say, if you have a chance to go thru a certain part of East Texas (which you said you have visited before, though), then you might put it on your itinerary.

I realize you are wanting to see the deep Deep South and "Old South Civil War" history, and Texas was not really all that important in the overall scheme of things in that regard (until the very end when eastern Texas and western Louisiana were pretty much the last stronghold of the Confederacy and where Dixie made its Last Stand).

Still though, there are parts that might be worth your time in that regard. The Marshall/Jefferson Texas area is as ante-bellum as it gets in that realm. And, near Tyler, are the remains of the last Confederate POW camp in the Trans-Mississippi Dept. Around Jefferson are the remmnants of a Confederate powder plant.

Anyway, just a thought. Hope you enjoy your trip and tour!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,194,895 times
Quote:
Thank y'all very much with the travel locations, from what I can tell...

Natchez, MS
Vicksburg, MS
Oxford, MS (possible)
Columbus, MS (maybe)
St. Francisville, LA (it's not far from Natchez)

I might being going on this trip alone, anything I should worry about (crime?), any rent-a-car places? Best airports to use?
Well, since you're planning to do a very similar trip and I'm going in a few days (the day after Christmas), let me say a few things:

I have never been to any of the aforementioned places. Mississippi and Louisiana both have reasonable crime rates, but I imagine this sharply decreases outside of the big city metro's. I wouldn't worry too much about any serious crime surrounding these towns, any more than any place you're used to in the Southwest. Many people from around the nation travel to these areas (especially Vicksburg, MS and the plantation areas of LA) and experience nothing negative. That said, of course take precautions such as locking your car and not flashing huge wads of cash, as you would in any town/city/state in America.

How old are you? Some rental places require you to be 25, although some are 21, and I believe a few will even allow rentals as low as 18, but you have to pay extra. If you can't rent, driving from home could be a great road trip (I'm driving from northern NJ!), but of course driving through New Mexico and Texas is much mileage.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,544,080 times
Get on the Natchez Trace and drive from Franklin, Tennessee all the way down through Mississippi. Stop in several towns along the way.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM

15,076 posts, read 31,448,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
yes we don't call it the panhandle but the redneck Riviera or lower Alabama. Take your pick! Oh and you should have said unlike most of Florida instead.
Well I don't know who "we" is, i'm guessing you mean south Floridians? Anything below Ocala is S. Florida to me, or rather "down yonder".

But yes, even people here describe the panhandle as the redneck riviera, and we say it with pride!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:15 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,140,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, I was going to say, if you have a chance to go thru a certain part of East Texas (which you said you have visited before, though), then you might put it on your itinerary.

I realize you are wanting to see the deep Deep South and "Old South Civil War" history, and Texas was not really all that important in the overall scheme of things in that regard (until the very end when eastern Texas and western Louisiana were pretty much the last stronghold of the Confederacy and where Dixie made its Last Stand).

Still though, there are parts that might be worth your time in that regard. The Marshall/Jefferson Texas area is as ante-bellum as it gets in that realm. And, near Tyler, are the remains of the last Confederate POW camp in the Trans-Mississippi Dept. Around Jefferson are the remmnants of a Confederate powder plant.

Anyway, just a thought. Hope you enjoy your trip and tour!
Reb, I was in the Collin/Dallas/Tarrant/Grayson/Denton area (and whatever part of Oklahoma is across from it). My uncle (who lives near McKinney) is actually not far from where the Southfork Ranch was in "Dallas".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Well, since you're planning to do a very similar trip and I'm going in a few days (the day after Christmas), let me say a few things:

I have never been to any of the aforementioned places. Mississippi and Louisiana both have reasonable crime rates, but I imagine this sharply decreases outside of the big city metro's. I wouldn't worry too much about any serious crime surrounding these towns, any more than any place you're used to in the Southwest. Many people from around the nation travel to these areas (especially Vicksburg, MS and the plantation areas of LA) and experience nothing negative. That said, of course take precautions such as locking your car and not flashing huge wads of cash, as you would in any town/city/state in America.

How old are you? Some rental places require you to be 25, although some are 21, and I believe a few will even allow rentals as low as 18, but you have to pay extra. If you can't rent, driving from home could be a great road trip (I'm driving from northern NJ!), but of course driving through New Mexico and Texas is much mileage.
I'm 18, I've heard that driving through Texas can be total hell though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or