U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,195,697 times

Advertisements

Well, I've never rented while on vacation (within the U.S.) because I kind of enjoy driving the long distance from home to get where I'm going. However, I was in a car accident several years ago, a few minutes from home. I was 18 at the time. The point of the story is that while I was searching for another car, I chose to rent for a month (covered by insurance), and after calling a few places, was able to find a place that covered 18 year-olds but it was $10 extra a day.

I have no experience driving through Texas or that area of the South/the Southwest, so I can't help you on that. You may want to consult TR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,468,524 times
I've drivin' across TX before and it seems like it takes forever, but I lived in Eastern NM about 15 mins. from the TX border at the time, we came into Amarillo and Oklahoma City on to Little Rock and Memphis then down to Jackson,MS and New Orleans, checked out Baton Rouge and Shreveport and then came into TX from Marshall all the way back into Amarillo and then home.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,142,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I've drivin' across TX before and it seems like it takes forever, but I lived in Eastern NM about 15 mins. from the TX border at the time, we came into Amarillo and Oklahoma City on to Little Rock and Memphis then down to Jackson,MS and New Orleans, checked out Baton Rouge and Shreveport and then came into TX from Marshall all the way back into Amarillo and then home.
For me it would require taking I-10 to I-20 from there.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,136,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Reb, I was in the Collin/Dallas/Tarrant/Grayson/Denton area (and whatever part of Oklahoma is across from it). My uncle (who lives near McKinney) is actually not far from where the Southfork Ranch was in "Dallas".
I wouldn't call that area true East Texas. It borders it, but it much more what is designated as NORTH (or North Central) Texas. NorthEAST to be sure, geographically, but not really East Texas. Ya gotta get somewhere around just west of Tyler (if you are coming west to east along I-20) to see the whole scenery and "moodscape" change gradually/ evolve from that frontier/western South into the gentle fatalism of the "Old South".

As I mentioned in the earlier post, if you are wanting to visit the large-scale historic battlefields, then there is not much of Texas to visit in that regard (even though we Texans always whipped the yankees and sent them home defeated, by gawd! LOL).

But seriously, the Jefferson/Marshall area offers quite a bit in the ante-bellum sense of true Old South. And there are some really neat sites to see as concern Confederate history. BUT...I have to admit...not quite so much as compared to how it would stack up to places deeper into the Deep South. Or into the Upper South as concerns battlefields and all....

Quote:
I'm 18, I've heard that driving through Texas can be total hell though.
LOL Just make sure you stop in some country cafe and get a chicken-fried steak smothered with white and peppered cream gravy. As Larry McMurtry put it, only a "rank degenerate" would drive thru Texas and not do so!

Anyway, all joshing aside, let me know if there is any way I can help you if you travel thru Texas!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I wouldn't call that area true East Texas. It borders it, but it much more what is designated as NORTH (or North Central) Texas. NorthEAST to be sure, geographically, but not really East Texas. Ya gotta get somewhere around just west of Tyler (if you are coming west to east along I-20) to see the whole scenery and "moodscape" change gradually/ evolve from that frontier/western South into the gentle fatalism of the "Old South".

As I mentioned in the earlier post, if you are wanting to visit the large-scale historic battlefields, then there is not much of Texas to visit in that regard (even though we Texans always whipped the yankees and sent them home defeated, by gawd! LOL).

But seriously, the Jefferson/Marshall area offers quite a bit in the ante-bellum sense of true Old South. And there are some really neat sites to see as concern Confederate history. BUT...I have to admit...not quite so much as compared to how it would stack up to places deeper into the Deep South. Or into the Upper South as concerns battlefields and all....

LOL Just make sure you stop in some country cafe and get a chicken-fried steak smothered with white and peppered cream gravy. As Larry McMurtry put it, only a "rank degenerate" would drive thru Texas and not do so!

Anyway, all joshing aside, let me know if there is any way I can help you if you travel thru Texas!
Thanks again Reb, but I am still weighing on either flying or driving out there.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:29 PM

And I'm kinda....scared (yes I said it!) of driving across the country especially after hearing all the horror stories of "blades that station attendants use to slice your tires under their shoe soles", being shystered and killed by those people with "southern hospitality". Yeah, it sucks to be fairly unfamiliar with the part of the U.S. you want to go to and folks close to you say this.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,195,697 times
Quote:
And I'm kinda....scared (yes I said it!) of driving across the country especially after hearing all the horror stories of "blades that station attendants use to slice your tires under their shoe soles", being shystered and killed by those people with "southern hospitality". Yeah, it sucks to be fairly unfamiliar with the part of the U.S. you want to go to and folks close to you say this.
Well, as I said, I'm not sure about Texas, but I've driven through some incredibly rural areas of West Virginia and eastern Tennessee, where there was literally only another house after a few miles of intervals (I'm talking about the people that live up in the mountains), and I never encountered anything hostile or sinister, as the films love to portray. Only hospitality, even in areas that by modern standards are considered "backwards".

Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,468,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

now you got me thinking of a chicken fried steak with cream gravy, I love it with fried okra and the cream gravy goes really well with okra and salt.
Everytime I go back to Eastern NM I get a chicken fried steak, good thing they got that TX influence there.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:35 AM

I sure am anticipating it all, just a little iffy on what to expect though. But what roads, sites in different towns and such would be considered good and worth seeing?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:02 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,791,992 times
Quote:
Shoot, here in the South we heard those same stories about driving out west! (Particularly the old Route 66.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or