U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,192,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Nice to hear from you again, and to see you are enjoying your trip, where exactly did you go? For the Civil War museum and stuff. So how was everything during your adventure overall?

Since you last posted here before new years, my trip plans went to hell and back, survived and went through revisions, but it is going to happen. It will mostly center on Southwestern Mississippi and a small chunk of northeastern Louisiana and a little bit of central Mississippi. The only real thing I'm worried with is the weather (humidity) and travel (rent-a-cars, places to stay). Also is it worth driving the full distance? Because I am still contemplating driving and/or flying.
I just got back late Thursday night. I hit a massive snowstorm on the way home while driving up through east-central Kentucky and through West Virginia and Maryland, which was quite a bother, but luckily the weather was beautiful going down. As for the American Civil War, if you're looking for a good museum, there is a great one in New Orleans, LA (along with their fantastic WWII museum, conveniently located), and for more of a display and context for the battlefields, obviously Vicksburg, MS, is a prime location, but also Natchez, MS for the antebellum feel.

Everything was great. I drove down from northern NJ, stopped in East Tennessee over night, and continued the next day on to New Orleans, LA. From New Orleans I also visited Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Vacherie, and St. Francisville, while there. I left New Orleans and drove into Mississippi, seeing parts of Natchez and Oxford, and a very enjoyable stay in the Vicksburg area. I drove on to Jackson, TN, where I stayed overnight, and then continued to Nashville, TN, which was also fantastic. From Nashville I made the long drive home (usually about 14 hours, but took over 16 hours because of the snow and ice)

Mississippi and Louisiana are both fantastic states to center your trip on. Humidity wasn't a factor for me because I was traveling in January and even the Deep South was going through a cold spell. As for driving or flying, that's a personal preference issue. I've made a vow of sorts to pretty much drive everywhere in the North American continent. I mean, I plan to drive to Alaska eventually, so as you can see, I like long car rides and think of them as generally part of my trip, but as I'm sure you know, many people feel differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I just got back late Thursday night. I hit a massive snowstorm on the way home while driving up through east-central Kentucky and through West Virginia and Maryland, which was quite a bother, but luckily the weather was beautiful going down. As for the American Civil War, if you're looking for a good museum, there is a great one in New Orleans, LA (along with their fantastic WWII museum, conveniently located), and for more of a display and context for the battlefields, obviously Vicksburg, MS, is a prime location, but also Natchez, MS for the antebellum feel.

Everything was great. I drove down from northern NJ, stopped in East Tennessee over night, and continued the next day on to New Orleans, LA. From New Orleans I also visited Lafayette, Breaux Bridge, Vacherie, and St. Francisville, while there. I left New Orleans and drove into Mississippi, seeing parts of Natchez and Oxford, and a very enjoyable stay in the Vicksburg area. I drove on to Jackson, TN, where I stayed overnight, and then continued to Nashville, TN, which was also fantastic. From Nashville I made the long drive home (usually about 14 hours, but took over 16 hours because of the snow and ice)

Mississippi and Louisiana are both fantastic states to center your trip on. Humidity wasn't a factor for me because I was traveling in January and even the Deep South was going through a cold spell. As for driving or flying, that's a personal preference issue. I've made a vow of sorts to pretty much drive everywhere in the North American continent. I mean, I plan to drive to Alaska eventually, so as you can see, I like long car rides and think of them as generally part of my trip, but as I'm sure you know, many people feel differently.
It is good to know you got home safe. I see you also went to Vacherie (did you see Oak Alley?), and I am familiar with that Civil War museum in New Orleans (looked it up once). On another thread I had put together a rough list of places. Vicksburg, Natchez, Raymond, Port Gibson, Grenada, and St. Francisville for now, what would be some other good places to see in those regions since you had the firsthand experience? And I hate to ask this too, but how much did it cost overall? Because I am tackling my trips expenses and how they could play out right now and I have just finally got support for this.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
It is good to know you got home safe. I see you also went to Vacherie (did you see Oak Alley?), and I am familiar with that Civil War museum in New Orleans (looked it up once). On another thread I had put together a rough list of places. Vicksburg, Natchez, Raymond, Port Gibson, Grenada, and St. Francisville for now, what would be some other good places to see in those regions since you had the firsthand experience? And I hate to ask this too, but how much did it cost overall? Because I am tackling my trips expenses and how they could play out right now and I have just finally got support for this.
Vacherie is a great place and not too long of a distance from New Orleans, if one is staying there. I did indeed see Oak Alley as well as Laura Plantation in Vacherie. Both were excellent. It was particularly exciting on the walk up to Oak Alley though, as I was just thinking along the way that this was one of the iconic images of Louisiana much in the way that people associate the Grand Canyon with Arizona or the Golden Gate bridge with California. It's just a beautiful place with a rich sense of history. My trip in particular helped solidify my future plans as they relate to moving to southeastern Louisiana.

I think you as well have put up a good list. St. Francisville has Rosedown as well as the Myrtles, and I would have liked to see more of Mississippi. My trip set me back about $1,200, gas included, to give an honest estimate. Much of your cost will relate to your mode of transportation and where you choose to stay.

I also think you should consider Breaux Bridge, as it is a great example of a Deep South town with a unique and rich cultural history.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Vacherie is a great place and not too long of a distance from New Orleans, if one is staying there. I did indeed see Oak Alley as well as Laura Plantation in Vacherie. Both were excellent. It was particularly exciting on the walk up to Oak Alley though, as I was just thinking along the way that this was one of the iconic images of Louisiana much in the way that people associate the Grand Canyon with Arizona or the Golden Gate bridge with California. It's just a beautiful place with a rich sense of history. My trip in particular helped solidify my future plans as they relate to moving to southeastern Louisiana.

I think you as well have put up a good list. St. Francisville has Rosedown as well as the Myrtles, and I would have liked to see more of Mississippi. My trip set me back about $1,200, gas included, to give an honest estimate. Much of your cost will relate to your mode of transportation and where you choose to stay.

I also think you should consider Breaux Bridge, as it is a great example of a Deep South town with a unique and rich cultural history.
Very good, because I was able to get $2000 commited to my trip, and I have read about Breax Bridge (it's like the Cajun center of the universe). And it does appear that I will be flying. That Rosedown plantation looks like something out of "Gone with the Wind". That is definatly going in mine! But would you suggest anywhere else in that neighboring region of Mississippi regarding the Civil War.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,781,299 times
RGS, while in Nashville, did you have a chance to look around much? Much of the city was a Civil War battle site, with the state capitol building used as a fort. There are two other major battle sites in the metro area (Stones River, a 3 day battle in Murfreesboro, and Franklin, one of the bloodiest battles of the war, in which the South lost, if memory serves me, 11 generals.). Andrew Jackson's home is located here as well as many beautiful antebellum homes, many open for tours.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it home safe--wish the weather had been more typical for you.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Very good, because I was able to get $2000 commited to my trip, and I have read about Breax Bridge (it's like the Cajun center of the universe). And it does appear that I will be flying. That Rosedown plantation looks like something out of "Gone with the Wind". That is definatly going in mine! But would you suggest anywhere else in that neighboring region of Mississippi regarding the Civil War.
That should be perfectly adequate. I stayed in a hostel in New Orleans, so I saved a good bit of money on that, and I was used to the experience as I stayed in hostels in Rome and Florence in late April/early May.

Breaux Bridge is an amazing town full of culture and if I had more time, I would have had a difficult time dividing it between southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and I would have liked to see much more of Alabama.

I believe most parts of the Deep South states (Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina) can certainly provide the experiences you're looking for. I can't say much more about Mississippi, as I had limited time to travel the state, although I certainly found Vicksburg, Natchez, and Oxford worth it. Not too far from Oxford, there is a town called Taylor - It's a beautiful rural town that is home to the Taylor Grocery, probably the most famous restaurant in Mississippi and the place to go for an excellent catfish dinner. I also found the residents of Taylor to be some of the friendliest people I've met in any Southern state, old and young, white and black. I'd love to say more about Alabama but time issues relegated me to really only driving through the state, which is not enough to get a sense of any place. In a few months time, when it warms up, I would love to make another excursion to the region though, this time focusing in on rural Alabama and some of the wonderful festivals in the state, with stops as well in Charleston and/or Savannah, and perhaps a few days back in New Orleans.

You've never seen so much beauty, whether rural, urban, suburban, or just in the people themselves, until you've experienced America's heartland.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
RGS, while in Nashville, did you have a chance to look around much? Much of the city was a Civil War battle site, with the state capitol building used as a fort. There are two other major battle sites in the metro area (Stones River, a 3 day battle in Murfreesboro, and Franklin, one of the bloodiest battles of the war, in which the South lost, if memory serves me, 11 generals.). Andrew Jackson's home is located here as well as many beautiful antebellum homes, many open for tours.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it home safe--wish the weather had been more typical for you.
Skinem, I didn't have near as much time to explore Nashville as I would have liked, as I only spent about a day and a half there, but I did tour the Hermitage and Belle Meade plantation in the surrounding area, which were both fantastic. I was particularly impressed with the preservation and restorative work at the Hermitage; Andrew Jackson is one of my favorite U.S. presidents and to see all Jackson-related artifacts preserved as well as the house and the surrounding grounds (beautiful central Tennessee countryside) in spite of the weather issues the historical committee faced several years back was magnificent. Of course I tried to take in a bit of Nashville's musical heritage as well. The Grand Ole Opry was not showing on weekdays, but I did take in some country music and had an excellent hot chicken lunch which was out of this world. On subsequent returns to Tennessee, I would like to further explore Nashville's antebellum history and venture into West Tennessee. In August, I visited the Confederate museum in Knoxville, which was great as it really brought me back to the era and was one of many things that I was initially surprised the city offered.

Tennessee is really blessed as you guys have four great cities that people could spend years exploring, as well as beautiful countryside and awesome little towns in between. Most states can't boast that.

And thank you. Funny story about the weather: When I was getting lunch, I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman who was entirely preoccupied with getting to the grocery store and his misplaced "checklist" of supplies for the incoming flurries that were predicted to hit Nashville. I couldn't help but feel that the weather was like a cool autumn day up here (NJ), but many seemed to be viewing it as the bitter dead of winter, which is a good sign in itself, as it indicates the weather down there isn't routinely miserable as opposed to other places around the country *cough*Northeast*cough*

Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM

My places so far.

Vicksburg National Battlefield Museum, Vicksburg, MS
Vicksburg National Military Park, Vicksburg, MS.
William Johnson House, Natchez, MS.
Grenada Confederate Forts (near Grenada Resevoir), Grenada, MS.
Natchez National Historic Park, Natchez, MS
Grand Gulf Military Park, Grand Gulf/Port Gibson, MS
Port Gibson Battlefield, Port Gibson, MS.

Confederate Cemetary, Raymond, MS.
Raymond Military Park, Raymond, MS.
Cedar Hill Cemetary and Soldiers Rest, Vicksburg, MS
Rosswood Plantation, Lorman, MS
The Cottage Plantation, St. Francisville, LA
Myrtles Plantation, St. Francisville, LA
Rosedown Plantation, St. Francisville, LA

Is there anything else in the region that would be good to see as well?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,943,673 times
Let me add a college football game or two to your list. A home LSU game...start EARLY for the tailgating...Ole Miss...my alma mater Alabama...our rival Auburn...it's not just the game. It's the fans, the socializing, the dress, the rituals, the stadii.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Let me add a college football game or two to your list. A home LSU game...start EARLY for the tailgating...Ole Miss...my alma mater Alabama...our rival Auburn...it's not just the game. It's the fans, the socializing, the dress, the rituals, the stadii.
I'm going in July, I think that's offseason, thanks for the advise tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or