Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'd say Charleston, SC and Columbia, SC. I went to the Low Country Oyster Roast in Charleston a few years ago. It was at the plantation which Forest Gump was filmed...absolutely gorgeous. You entered the Roast by driving down the road where the famous "Run Forest! Run!" scene was filmed.
Wasn't that Wormsloe Plantation near Savannah where that scene was filmed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Wasn't that Wormsloe Plantation near Savannah where that scene was filmed?
Though the movie was based in Savannah, it was filmed in Beaufort, South Carolina.

I think that scene was filmed at the Bluff Plantation...here's a pic I took of the road back a couple years ago. Excuse the poor quality of the picture, I took it with an old phone.

My friend was the one who told me that it was filmed there, so he may be incorrect.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Here's a link that details all of the locations of the filming:
Forrest Gump - Movies Filmed in South Carolina SC

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't expect Memphis to be anything like eastern TN, I've been there plenty of times and it's certainly not my cup of tea.

If you really want to experience the deep south in Mississippi, go to some of the smaller towns along the gulf coast like Lucedale or Wiggins. If you come to Alabama you could cruise around the towns of Bayou La Batre and Coden (south of Mobile), you'll feel like you're in Forrest Gump. Stop by Mary's Place and get some seafood, you won't find any fresher.

And don't rule out the Florida panhandle either, it's very much still part of the deep south, unlike South Florida.
I have mixed feelings about Memphis - I want to see the standard "tourist" draws - Beale Street, Graceland, etc., but I also want to see some of the local restaurants and such. Hopefully I can avoid the major ghetto zones.

Can you recommend anything along the Gulf coast such as unique sites/restaurants/cultural centers?

I would love to see more of Alabama and northern Florida (I will be driving through Alabama), but I'm not sure if there's time this go around.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I have mixed feelings about Memphis - I want to see the standard "tourist" draws - Beale Street, Graceland, etc., but I also want to see some of the local restaurants and such. Hopefully I can avoid the major ghetto zones.

Can you recommend anything along the Gulf coast such as unique sites/restaurants/cultural centers?

I would love to see more of Alabama and northern Florida (I will be driving through Alabama), but I'm not sure if there's time this go around.
I would recommend Ft. Morgan/Ft. Gaines on Mobile Bay...neat places. Mobile also has a pretty neat military museum featuring the WWII battleship the USS Alabama, a WWII sub (can't remember the name) as well as a number of airplanes.
I didn't see when you'd be there, but Mobile also has the nation's oldest Mardi Gras...it's also more family oriented than New Orleans...it can still get rowdy enough if you want to, but there are areas that are much more family oriented.

For some, um, unique culture, you might check out the Floribama...this will be to contrast the higher brow/class/more "cultured" plantation type tours you can find along the coast. Some might call it a cultural center of some kind...

ReluctantGardenStater, o get a lot of suggestions from a lot of friendly people about where to go on the Gulf Coast, I'd recommend asking for suggestions on the Alabama forum.

(To help fit in down here, it's PROPER pronunciation is "guff" coast...)

Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
what about Bessemer,AL, Is that authentic South? it looked pretty authentic to me.

If I were you(the OP) I would just get off on any ol exit and take a drive around whatever random town you come up to, thats what I like to do, you get to see towns that people usually dont visit.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:

The tourist draws are ok. Drive through Mud Island, East Memphis, and parts of Midtown and you will forget everything you've heard about Memphis being ghetto. It will seriously blow you away how nice some of the areas are. All within the city limits.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
I wouldn't just drive around Bessemer unless I knew where I was going.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
Thank y'all very much with the travel locations, from what I can tell...

Natchez, MS
Vicksburg, MS
Oxford, MS (possible)
Columbus, MS (maybe)
St. Francisville, LA (it's not far from Natchez)

I might being going on this trip alone, anything I should worry about (crime?), any rent-a-car places? Best airports to use?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
You could go to the new 5 rivers Conservation Center if you like nature. There are plenty of neat things there to see and they even offer boat rides up the delta. You might even see a gator or two.
5 Rivers - Alabama's Delta Resource Center

There is also Blakeley State Park which was a Civil War battlefield. They also provide boat rides up the delta. Blakeley State Park, Civil War Memorial site and Scenic Nature Trails in Spanish Fort, Alabama

To get a feel of the old deep south I recommend touring the Oakleigh Plantation. Historic Mobile Preservation -- Oakleigh House (http://www.historicmobile.org/Oakleigh08.htm - broken link)

For some good food I recommend the Original Oyster House overlooking Mobile Bay, the have the best shrimp po-boy you'll ever eat.
Welcome to the Original Oyster House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.