U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better to live and raise kids?
Boulder, colorado area 25 51.02%
Suburb of Portland, oregon. 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:07 PM

353 posts, read 378,398 times

Advertisements

Good for you. The job market is fine here in Denver and all along the Front Range--including Colorado Springs.

It's something you'll just have to learn--if you come here--but when you say 'Boulder' is means something entirely different than 'Denver' and it connotes an image of you that could be way off base. Boulder is a smaller city outside of Denver. While Boulder is geographically close to Denver--culturally it is a world away. The saying around here goes, "Boulder is 10 square miles surronded by reality." If you've never been there, visit and you'll see why.

Boulder is really a very odd city--it's especially odd when you consider that the surrounding areas are nothing like it at all! It's full of hippies, professors, granola-crunching rock-climbers, and students. Leave city limits and everything begins to change drastically.

Lafayette, Louisville, Broomfield are all growing quickly and I don't think your husband would have a terribly difficult time finding a job. Just stay out of Boulder and you'll love it here. Schools are decent, there's lots of family-friendly stuff to do, good atmosphere, etc.

West Linn is really a lovely area, too, in metro PDX. West Linn is a lot like Boulder--it's very much unlike the surrounding areas--except that West Linn is the cultural/political/lifestyle opposite of Boulder. lol.

I think metro Denver or West Linn would both be fine choices--it just depends on what sort of lifestyle you are exactly looking for and what you envision to be the ideal location for your family. Denver is VERY different from Portland in important ways. PDX is more of a west coast, laid back culture while Denver is a fundamentally Heartland/Midwestern city with a western flair. They are both interesting places...but very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 07:37 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
I will repeat, decide for yourself. There ARE physicians who live in Boulder. Also RNs, PTs, etc. Not everyone likes the 'white bread' flavor of some of those suburbs. Louisville isn't exactly growing any more. It's pretty landlocked by other cities. Lafayette has a little new housing. Broomfield was growing like crazy a few (like 5) years ago; I think it may have slowed down.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I will repeat, decide for yourself. There ARE physicians who live in Boulder. Also RNs, PTs, etc. Not everyone likes the 'white bread' flavor of some of those suburbs. Louisville isn't exactly growing any more. It's pretty landlocked by other cities. Lafayette has a little new housing. Broomfield was growing like crazy a few (like 5) years ago; I think it may have slowed down.
Let's not forget that Boulder, too, is pretty white-bread, when you peal away the surface layer. According to the US Census, Boulder is 88.3% white. Boulder County as a whole is 92.9% white. I don't consider Boulder to be a very diverse place-- and their liberalism is not even the real thing. Funny thing is, Aurora, a frequently villified suburb which is very diverse, only 68.9% white, is part of the congressional district which elected Tom Tancredo to Congress. Aurora does not even have any pretentions whatsoever to being a hip, cool place with boutique shopping. And yet Aurora, unlike Boulder, has huge African-American, Hispanic, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Russian communities-- real diversity, not phoney diversity. Politics, diversity, and the public image in Colorado is often totally opposite of what it seems.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:24 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
I agree completely. That's why I don't think Boulder is out of the question. Or Aurora. I will say that Boulder looks different. It has a downtown, though there's not much you'd want to buy there. It has an in-town 'pedestrian' mall (29th St.) that is really kind of neat. It's not just houses and strip malls, but we have discussed that before, too. It does have its share, BTW.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-20-2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: fix quotes, add information

Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Post Over-generalizations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I think they're both bad choices--and a lot of that has to do with the cultural environments prevailing in both cities. That's totally legit. I'm I were the OP I wouldn't even flinch: pick neither, choose Denver.
Yes, you could say that Portland and Boulder are more liberal cities but I would not over-generalize and group everyone from those cities as having the same views and opinions. Also, not all of the people living in the suburbs of Denver are extremely conservative either. In fact, I do not think I would be comfortable living in one of those extremely conservative suburbs in Denver either. A good blend between liberal and conservative suits me just fine.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Yes, you could say that Portland and Boulder are more liberal cities but I would not over-generalize and group everyone from those cities as having the same views and opinions. Also, not all of the people living in the suburbs of Denver are extremely conservative either. In fact, I do not think I would be comfortable living in one of those extremely conservative suburbs in Denver either. A good blend between liberal and conservative suits me just fine.
You know, I hear this a lot. And, to be honest, it's just a namby-pamby way of avoiding making serious judgements about the merit of living in whatever city.

You're right that not everyone in Boulder is a flaming liberal or that everyone in metro Denver is a gun-toting right-winger. But generalizations are helpful and important in determining where to live.

Here's an example...

In Boulder, recently, there was a conference associated with the University and some speakers came to speak with kids in a high school in Boulder. The speaker was a big-time psychologist from Southern California and proceeded to tell these high schools kids that they should experiment with drugs and sex before marriage. He noted that that would be the 'healthier' choice--coming, of course, from a professional position. Well, an outcry ensued but the school officials didn't want to do anything about it because of 'free speech' and 'diversity of opinion.' That's the sort of thing you can expect in Boulder and Portland but not metro Denver.

In liberal cities that's the sort of stuff you get. Liberal cities elect liberal politicians, school officials, and certain lifestyles and ideas are more acceptable there than in places like Denver or wherever else. That speaker would have been run out of town in metro Denver and the school would have issued an immediate appology. In fact, we've had several instances of that happening in metro schools (Lakewood, Aurora) and they were major media events and both times the teacher/speaker was disciplined and villified for his 'radical' ideas.

In every city you cannot escape the prevailing ethos that shapes public policy and attitudes--no matter if you have a a few diverse opinions. I agree that a lot of people, like you, would want to live in a mixed city--neither too right or too left. But some folks want a conservative or liberal city. I'm only making the point that the OP will have to decide if the ideas espoused in Boulder and Portland would fit her and her family's values. Because if she is a church-going Republican she would have a much, much better time of things in Denver than Boulder or Portland.

I know conservatives in Boulder and Portland. And most of them are having a tough time and are considering moving to Denver or other areas. That, for me, says it all.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM

107 posts, read 404,930 times
We are for sure more leaning to the conservative side in our family values. I do think that we would not be right in boulder, but more the lafayette, broomfield or niwot areas. In Portland we would be in West linn and I believe that has a much more conservative feel.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheiny View Post
We are for sure more leaning to the conservative side in our family values. I do think that we would not be right in boulder, but more the lafayette, broomfield or niwot areas. In Portland we would be in West linn and I believe that has a much more conservative feel.

Thanks for all your opinions!
Okay. When you mentioned West Linn I figured you probably were a more conservative, traditional family. With that in mind, West Linn would work fine. But realize that West Linn is a diamond in the rough. Outside of Lake Oswego and Salem the Porland metro is, just, well, breathtakingly liberal.

I'm tellin' ya, I know it depends on your husband's job situation, but if you have the chance to come to Denver...do it! It is a right-leaning, family values, family-oriented sort of place and I am sure that you would love it. Niwot is okay--though it's sort of a rural, bedroom community for Boulder. Lafayette is okay too. I would probably choose Broomfield above the rest. It is growing by leaps and bounds with new developments and commercial stuff. Arvada, which isn't more than 30 minutes south of Boulder, feels a lot more like Denver--and it's more suburban--and that would be an excellent choice, too.

The neat thing about West Linn is that it is sort of nestled in the south Portland hills, it has a very woodsy feel, and it is a VERY nice area. That's what makes Portland so attractive, IMHO--the natural beauty and forested developments. You certainly won't get that in flat Denver. The Denver metro is pretty much flat as a pancake--though you do, of course, have the awesome Rockies just to your west. And Boulder itself sits literally right under them.

I think either choice would be a good one for you. I don't know where you're coming from, but if you're from somewhere in middle America I would probably direct you towards Denver. I grew up here and spent a year in Oregon and even though I was in a pretty nice, more right-leaning area it still felt a little weird coming from a place like Colorado. Colorado is definitely more 'middle America' and it's a very different place from the coasts. Consider that in your decision.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 PM

107 posts, read 404,930 times
Default Thanks everyone!

Hi rawlings, thanks so much for all the responses. We are coming from Vegas. A City named ..Henderson. It is about 15 minutes from the strip and the crazyness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or