U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM

38 posts, read 96,199 times

Advertisements

DubbleT:

I'll check into your suggestions too. My sister went to college at Johnson City, TN. She went to ETSU in the early and mid-90's. Now she lives in Knoxville and likes it much better than Memphis, but has trouble with the traffic and allergies / air pollution. She is like me, we both have bad allergies and living in Memphis is no relief!

In case you didn't hear, "King Willie" is out as of this past July...he quit to run for Congress against Steve Cohen. Former Shelby county mayor A.C. Wharton is Memphis City mayor now. I don't know a lot about him, but he seems to be a vast improvment over the previous horse's a$$.

How's the job situation up that way? In Memphis its virtually impossible to find an office manager- AP & AR position around here even with 10 plus years experience. I am interested in the tri-cities, but had honestly forgotten about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Job situation is so-so, maybe slightly better than Memphis. You might ask in the Tri-cities forum to get a better idea about the availability of office mgt type work. I don't pay too much attention to that type of thing, sorry.

Traffic here in the tri-cities is a breeze compared to Memphis. Seems like there are a few bad spots here and there, especially over near the mall in JC, but overall it's much easier to get around. Driving in Knoxville is nearly as bad as Memphis with the amount of traffic on their main roads. It's one of the reasons I chose the tri-cities over Knoxville when I moved.

Allergies...yeah, well... umm, at least I didn't see that yellow pollen coating everything in sight this year. Not much better than Memphis in that respect though.

I'd heard king Willie lost his throne. Good for Memphis that he's out, but scary for all the rest of us if he wins against Cohen.

BTW we got quite a bit of snow this evening. Very pretty. http://www.city-data.com/forum/12089119-post1.html I understand that this much snow is very unusual for the area, but it does see more snow than the rest of TN. A big plus in my book.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:51 AM

DubbleT:

First off, your pictures of the snow are fantasic. I don't have to tell you we don't see much of that here in the Memphis area. I like snow a lot, hate the ice that we usually get instead of snow. I always loved snow ever since I can remember, but never lived in an area prone to it. Always stuck "here" in the midsouth.

I can still take my Zyrtec-D for allergies over that way like I do here. ha ha

I'll post on the Tri-cities forum and ask about employment, etc.

The tri-cities are Bristol, Johnson City and what else?

I have an idea I'd like to move into Virginia, even if its barely across the State line from TN. My family came from there MANY years ago and there's something soothing about the idea of living in Virginia, even if its barely over the line.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 AM

11,870 posts, read 32,895,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1969 View Post
DubbleT:

First off, your pictures of the snow are fantasic. I don't have to tell you we don't see much of that here in the Memphis area. I like snow a lot, hate the ice that we usually get instead of snow. I always loved snow ever since I can remember, but never lived in an area prone to it. Always stuck "here" in the midsouth.

I can still take my Zyrtec-D for allergies over that way like I do here. ha ha

I'll post on the Tri-cities forum and ask about employment, etc.

The tri-cities are Bristol, Johnson City and what else?

I have an idea I'd like to move into Virginia, even if its barely across the State line from TN. My family came from there MANY years ago and there's something soothing about the idea of living in Virginia, even if its barely over the line.
Kingsport is the other city. Bristol has the NASCAR speedway, Johnson City has the university and a large VA hospital, and Kingsport is a planned factory town built around a gigantic Eastman chemical plant.

Depending on your financial situation, you might want to settle on the Tennessee side. Tennessee has no state income tax. If you live in Virginia you get the pleasure of paying Virginia's income tax. There's a reason the Tennessee side is growing faster than the Virginia side of the Tri Cities, although there's more shopping on the Virginia side because Virginia has a lower sales tax. So, ideally, you'd live in Tennessee and shop in Virginia.

I like to travel, so for me I could never live in the Tri Cities because it's outrageously expensive to fly out of their little airport, and there's nothing else close by (Knoxville's airport isn't much cheaper). That's why I'd rather live closer to Nashville which has some of the lowest air fares in the country because it's a hub for Southwest Airlines. But if you're not much of a traveler, and if you can get a job, then the Tri Cities is an excellent choice.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,450 posts, read 14,299,056 times
I only wish I took pictures half so well, LOL. Have to give credit where it's due. The photographer is a regular on our forum, Kamoshika. He takes beautiful pictures doesn't he? He also has a lot of informative and useful posts about the tri-cities, so if you get a chance it could be worthwhile to peruse some of his older posts to get a little more info on the area.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM

ttt

Old 12-19-2009, 08:34 PM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Some of the recommendations that people are giving you are completely off base (i.e. MI, IN) IMO.

I say you should look at the West, and know that with snow you are going to have cold. Wyoming is screaming out at me as a place perfect for you, but it does get very cold and windy, but believe me, the cold is something that can be adapted to with the right attitude.

I'm thinking of places like Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Casper, Douglas, etc., most anywhere along I-25 or I-80. The history in WY is more Native American and Frontierish, but very interesting nonetheless.

Grand Junction, CO might be a good place for you as well. The state of Nevada too.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM

380 posts, read 1,001,303 times
Harpers Ferry, Shepherdstown, Charles Town WV. Civil War battlefields all around, good employment, mountains, rivers etc.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM

David Aguilar:

I agree completely about the cold. I am a big, well "insulated" man at 6'0 tall and about 350...cold doesn't bother me much, but the heat, specifically the humidity, has always been rough, even when I was in much better shape and not overweight. Another thing about the West is I've heard it can be expensive. I know it varies a lot state to state - town to town, but I know California is essentially out due to everything being so expensive.

I went to some job search sites today and applied for jobs out west. In Idaho, South Dakota, and New Mexico. I am still open to far northeast TN and northeast toward Richmond. I do not want to get anywhere near the huge urban-traffic areas of Richmond and further north. My goal is still a location of 30,000 people or less. I grew up in a town of 4,000 people and remember the calm wonderful times then. It was really nice because I was 15 to 20 minutes away from anything I wanted in Memphis, TN. I could go and be back home in no time, leaving all the Memphis problems in Memphis.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 PM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1969 View Post
David Aguilar:

I agree completely about the cold. I am a big, well "insulated" man at 6'0 tall and about 350...cold doesn't bother me much, but the heat, specifically the humidity, has always been rough, even when I was in much better shape and not overweight. Another thing about the West is I've heard it can be expensive. I know it varies a lot state to state - town to town, but I know California is essentially out due to everything being so expensive.

I went to some job search sites today and applied for jobs out west. In Idaho, South Dakota, and New Mexico. I am still open to far northeast TN and northeast toward Richmond. I do not want to get anywhere near the huge urban-traffic areas of Richmond and further north. My goal is still a location of 30,000 people or less. I grew up in a town of 4,000 people and remember the calm wonderful times then. It was really nice because I was 15 to 20 minutes away from anything I wanted in Memphis, TN. I could go and be back home in no time, leaving all the Memphis problems in Memphis.
Awesome!

Idaho is a great place too, the panhandle (Coeur d'Alene, etc.) being about as close to my version of heaven as there is. I lived in the area (the WA side, in Spokane) this past summer, and am itching to get back, permanently. I didn't think to recommend ID to you for some reason.

I too, am "insulated": 6'6"/330, so i guess handling the cold is easier for me too (heck, I live in Colorado ). I hate the heat too, but humidity doesn't bug me too much, probably because I've never had to live in it (but I have visited it though).

There are areas of CA that are affordable, like the Central Valley and the Mojave Desert. But no snow (though the Mojave gets at least one "freak" snowstorm a year, it's really cool when it happens).

Most western towns are affordable, as long as they are not tourist traps. Those places I listed in WY are not expensive, and are quite cheap.

South Dakota is a great choice as well, but you should stay in the western half of it, the eastern half is flat/Midwestern (likely not what you are looking for), while the western half is a little more western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or