U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 PM

38 posts, read 96,407 times

Advertisements

I am a lifelong resident of the Memphis metropolitan area. I lived in east Arkansas about 30 years, in Memphis about 9 years, and about 1 year in north Mississippi. Three different states, but all considered the Memphis metro area. ITS TIME TO GO! Memphis has become too bad for me with excessive crime, loads of gangs, high unemployment, political corruption problems like you'd never believe, and much more!

The Summers here are insanely hot and humid and now that I'm older, its tie to go. I've always liked snow, that is when it does snow. I would like to relocate somewhere there are actual seasons and with less humidity year round. Want to stay in the cont. USA; not move to AK, or HI or Canada.

I am 40 years old, divorced with no kids. I was recently laidoff from working as an office manager for more than 10 years. I am a big US History buff, especially the Civil War and the Revolution. I have a heavy hobbyist level interest in geology. I really enjoy panning for gold or using a highbanker in streams. I've erad about hard rock gold mining but never tried it. Something I've always wanted to see is the West. I have never seen a "real" mountain. The tallest I ever saw were 1000 to 1800 feet, and that's pretty much a hill to most people. I don't want to live on a mountain, but to have access to mountains - hills, even a National Park to go gold prospecting sounds great. I am not into hunting, just enjoy prospecting and seeing geology.

I'd prefer a location that's not a big city...something with 30,000 people or FEWER sounds good. I gre up in a town of 4,000 people next to a town of 25,000, next to memphis and its 600,000 in-city residents. Obviously a job in the Office -shipping & receiving - AP & AR field is needed. Something CONSERVATIVE, affordable and SAFE! I had a car stolen, and my home broken into.

Here are the places I have looked at online based on historical interests, less humidity, access to gold prospecting / metal detecting areas, and some elevation changes compared to the flat 225 foot elevation I've always seen. I'm not naming any "small" towns by name because I don't know any offhand.

Virginia, Idaho, New Mexico, Utah, are the top 4

These are appealing but really don't have the Civil War or Revolutionary history I love: Montana- might get TOO COLD for me; Colorado sounds nice but expensive, California IS TOO EXPENSIVE; Pacific northwest sounds too cloudy and rainy; Arizona sounds interesting but the idea of 120 plus is too hot, even if its a dry heat. Georgia and Alabama have much I'd like but there's that constant humidity I want to get away from.

I have relatives in Arkansas and east Tennesee, but we only see each other 3- 4 times per year. This is a slight consideration to be within 5-6 hous flying time, or 2 days maximum driving time.

(Almost done)

I was warned that utility and water bills can vary a great deal. For comparison sake: Summer electric bill for 1 bedroom apartment about 950 sq. feet is usually $130 to $160 keeping central heat & air thermostat around 72 degrees. Water bill might be $18 to $25 per month. Winter electric bill might be $50 to $80 using electricity for heat. Its been so long since I had a gas powered heating system, I do not know the rates. Water bill in Winter is virtually the same as Summer.

Car tags...in Arkansas they are $29.50 per year, plus whatever your tax assessment is...a tax based on your physical address and age/make/model of your vehicle. All in all, AR plate costs about $150-175 a year in town. When I lived in Mississippi is was INSANELY high at over $600 per year, but supposedly they have lesser property taxes. TN plates are about the same price as Arkansas.

Income... before being laidoff in July this year I brought home appx. $650 per week after taxes. I'd love to make that or more again.

Please give me some opinions in detail...I want to move by 2-1-2010 at the latest.

ty1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM

4,250 posts, read 9,742,525 times
You might like the I-81 corridor in TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, and even NY. Lots of off-shift distribution work from, say, Harrisonburg VA up to Scranton PA. Lots of smaller towns that have become fringe service areas for the too-busy parallel BosWash Corridor. Lots of American history from Harrisburg PA south. More than a few rural Southerners have moved north as far as Harrisburg PA area, beyond which Southern influence declines. Plenty of geology visible, certainly more than in the Delta. Not much for gold prospecting, but lots of fishing, kayaking, hiking, etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM

11,910 posts, read 32,988,924 times
Actually, Tennessee plates are much cheaper than in Arkansas because it's a flat $24/year no matter what kind of car. There is no additional tax. Some cities or counties have an additional wheel tax, but it's also a flat fee and is not based on the make or age of your vehicle. Memphis is one such place that has an additional wheel tax.

Check out Cookeville which is heading up the Cumberland Plateau between Nashville and Knoxville. Car tags there are $24/year. There are a dozen state parks and a national park within 45 miles of the city. It's an hour from the Nashville airport (hub for Southwest Airlines). Its elevation is 1400 feet so summers are warm but not nearly as brutally humid as Memphis. Winters are mild with about 8" of snow total.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 4,135 times
Indiana! We have the most affordable homes in the country in the Indianapolis area. Check us out. Have questions? Feel free to send me your questions.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,249,688 times
Have you considered Indiana? Indianapolis is the 13th largest US city and growing. It has great and QUIET and growing suburbs: Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Avon, Greenwood, Zionsville. All are within 30-minutes of downtown Indianapolis. And downtown Indianapolis is very lively and always has things going on; and it's clean. But if you want to avoid Indianapolis (because it is a large city by most comparisons) Fort Wayne (253,000), Indiana's second largest city, would be a good choice. If you want to live close to Indianapolis and Chicago, Lafayette would be good as well. And then, of course, Bloomington (70,000) is only an hour from Indianapolis, has Indiana University, and tall hills and some great scenery.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:46 PM

11,910 posts, read 32,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Have you considered Indiana? Indianapolis is the 13th largest US city and growing. It has great and QUIET and growing suburbs: Carmel, Fishers, Noblesville, Brownsburg, Plainfield, Avon, Greenwood, Zionsville. All are within 30-minutes of downtown Indianapolis. And downtown Indianapolis is very lively and always has things going on; and it's clean. But if you want to avoid Indianapolis (because it is a large city by most comparisons) Fort Wayne (253,000), Indiana's second largest city, would be a good choice. If you want to live close to Indianapolis and Chicago, Lafayette would be good as well. And then, of course, Bloomington (70,000) is only an hour from Indianapolis, has Indiana University, and tall hills and some great scenery.

The OP said he wants to live in a city of 30,000 or fewer.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM

38 posts, read 96,407 times
So far Cookeville,TN has my attention for some weekend research on the net...keep them coming please!

Yes, 30,000 persons or less would be most desirable.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,018,394 times
Virginia does have Civil War and Revolutionary War history. Bristol, Virginia looks somewhat conservative albeit humid and with crime slightly above average.

If you want Indiana Rensselaer, Indiana looks like a fairly conservative small town.

http://www.city-data.com/elec2/elec-...AER-IN.html#08

Although again maybe a bit more crime or humidity than you want, even if not that bad.

Zealand, Michigan is in traditionally/strongly conservative Ottawa County and is listed as having a low rate of auto theft. It's quite near some cities and has a low overall crime rate. Although it does look a bit warm and humid in Summer. Also I imagine it lacks Civil War/Revolutionary War history.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c451.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Zeeland-Michigan.html
http://www.city-data.com/elec2/elec-ZEELAND-MI.html#08

You could consider Pennsylvania. Lots of history and although it's a "blue state" many of the smaller towns or small cities are fairly conservative. Economy, Pennsylvania looks pretty safe and although Beaver County is traditionally Democratic it went for McCain/Palin in 2008.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Economy-Pennsylvania.html

The following might give you some ideas on conservative counties in Pennsylvania.

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - Compare Maps

Lastly City-Data has a list for low-crime small towns. Many of them are suburbs though.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c406.html

Old 12-18-2009, 06:36 PM

56,918 posts, read 81,260,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
You might like the I-81 corridor in TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, and even NY. Lots of off-shift distribution work from, say, Harrisonburg VA up to Scranton PA. Lots of smaller towns that have become fringe service areas for the too-busy parallel BosWash Corridor. Lots of American history from Harrisburg PA south. More than a few rural Southerners have moved north as far as Harrisburg PA area, beyond which Southern influence declines. Plenty of geology visible, certainly more than in the Delta. Not much for gold prospecting, but lots of fishing, kayaking, hiking, etc.
I was thinking of Gettysburg, specifically: Gettysburg.com
Gettysburg Convention and Visitors Bureau ~ Gettysburg's official resource for travel, tourism, and convention information!
Gettysburg, PA Welcome Center - Gettysburg, PA
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Annual Gettysburg Civil War Battle Reenactment
Borough Office 59 East High Street Gettysburg

In NY, there is a tiny community in Madison County by the name of Peterboro that was a major Underground Railroad community that puts on a Civil War re-enactment every year. There are still a few people left that are the descendants of runaway slaves that still live there and it has an Abolitionist Hall of Fame too. The Hall of fame is due to abolitionist Gerrit Smith having his estate there. Smithfield Community Association, Peterboro New York ~ Welcome
CWW 2010 Registration Forms
Peterboro, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gerrit Smith Estate, National Historic Landmark
Gerrit Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-18-2009, 06:53 PM

10,613 posts, read 14,394,633 times
I think Ki0eh's suggestion is good.
So, while you are researching Cookeville I think you also should look into the tri-cities area of northeast TN. Lots of small towns scattered around and between the three bigger cities makes it easy to get a small town feeling, yet not be too far from the things a somewhat larger city can offer.
I moved from Memphis last year to one of those small cities right along the TN/VA border. Big difference in the humidity here and in Memphis, and a beautiful four seasons of weather! (no King Willie either )
Peolpe around here also have a lot of good things to say about Abingdon VA, which is in the same general area. Might be worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or