U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:41 PM

25,017 posts, read 23,916,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's funny is that in Syracuse, it would be life as usual if it occurred here. We also have the equipment to handle it too.
It is. I checked the snow level here a few hours ago and snow was up to 7 inches. I swept and shoveled a bit, again. That's when I noticed that the snow was accumulating faster. The area that I'd done first was covered before I went back into the house! The business as usual part... son and I were out sweeping, shoveling and cleaning off the car because he was to start work at 4 today. He works retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It is. I checked the snow level here a few hours ago and snow was up to 7 inches. I swept and shoveled a bit, again. That's when I noticed that the snow was accumulating faster. The area that I'd done first was covered before I went back into the house! The business as usual part... son and I were out sweeping, shoveling and cleaning off the car because he was to start work at 4 today. He works retail.

We haven't had any snow on LI so far this year. I'm surprised how much you guys have. We currently have maybe half an inch from this storm so far (started around 1pm). I highly doubt we're getting the 12+ inches they said we'd get.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
The snowflakes have been really tiny all day.. they still are (7:52pm) but I guess it's only going to get heavier and thicker as the night goes on.
I heard Long Island is going to experience blizzard conditions, I'm not sure why there's no official blizzard warnings for my area because the snow right now is blowing everywhere.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
The snowflakes have been really tiny all day.. they still are (7:52pm) but I guess it's only going to get heavier and thicker as the night goes on.
I heard Long Island is going to experience blizzard conditions, I'm not sure why there's no official blizzard warnings for my area because the snow right now is blowing everywhere.
They made it out to be terrible here, but it's been snowing for 7 hours and we only have like 2 inches. It's the winds that are bad.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,560,050 times
I can't say how bad it is here in Philly because I haven't been out of my apartment all day. The busy downtown street I live on is snow covered with very little traffic. We rarely get any snow here that sticks and to get this much in December is literally unbelievable except that I can see it out the windows.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 PM

893 posts, read 2,518,773 times
Getting pretty bad out here in SE Queens. 9-11 inches already.

Long Island is getting hammered with a blizzard right now. People reporting more than 14 inches in some parts of central Long Island already.

Now this is exciting

Old 12-19-2009, 11:45 PM

16,737 posts, read 23,166,303 times
Blizzard Warning right now in Connecticut. 12-18" expected with locally higher amounts of over 20". Snow is falling at 2-4" per hour.

The traffic was horrendous earlier today with people flocking to the grocery store/mall, but as soon as the flakes started falling, it was like a ghost town. When the snow started, it didn't take long for it to become heavy. Within 30 minutes of the first flake, it was treacherous.

This is a big one. It's affecting the most populous region of the nation - between DC and Boston. Over 50 million people affected.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 AM

24 posts, read 68,718 times
Default virginia snow

I live in Staunton Virgnia, and I may be wrong but I think central virginia and the valley got hit harder than any other spot in the u.s. during this storm. We got about 30 inches with a few other towns nearby getting closer to three feet. Even though we get snow every year, this surpasses our usual yearly total .We simply don't have the infrastructure to handle this. Just happy it happened over the weekend.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 AM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
We've got some snow here, but nothing out of the ordinary. When I lived in Kensington, MD a snow like this would be crippling to the metro area (DC metro) and it's evident that that is the case with this storm. It's relatively common to get a storm like this just about every year in New England. I won't say it's easy (particularly for those affected by parking bans), but it's not even close to the worst I've ever seen.

I just hope everyone in cities like Baltimore, DC, Philly, etc is alright. This isn't that common down there and I bet it's a bit of a nightmare.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM

My parents (TANaples is my mom, you probably know her) have been driving up from south Florida. They actually got stranded in a small town in Virginia last night. NOTHING was open, and the closest hotel was 8 miles away. They said there were abandoned cars and trucks on the side of the road. They've been going like 30 mph the whole way up since they hit the snow in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.