U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've noticed that Chicago seems to get more snow than the Northeast on average, [...]
It has never seemed that way to me. I have always thought the Northeast, in general, gets a lot more snow than Chicago.

This map seems to agree with me: HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Annual Snowfall"

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:39 PM

30,679 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
People posting photos in this thread are in locations from Maryland through Massachusetts. Are none of those places northeastern enough for you?
Well, I am from the Mid-West. Meaning the middle of the West, or Northern California [The middle of the West]. Technically the center of the West is Oregon, but Northern Cal is close enough.

I do understand that some wacked out druggies think that 1,500 miles Eastward is somehow called the Middle-of-the-West of something. I simply do not inject enough drugs to 'expand' my mind to encompas how going so far East is the the middle of anyone's 'West'.

Now I live in New England, which I am told by the locals goes as far South as to the borders of New York. Everything North-East of NY is NE. NY is not in the NE.

Then I see this thread.

So I live in NE, and we have no snow falling.

Now what is this about Mary Land?

If I drive 12 hours South near to the Southern end of the nation, how is that in the North East corner?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:45 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,504,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Well, I am from the Mid-West. Meaning the middle of the West, or Northern California [The middle of the West]. Technically the center of the West is Oregon, but Northern Cal is close enough.

I do understand that some wacked out druggies think that 1,500 miles Eastward is somehow called the Middle-of-the-West of something. I simply do not inject enough drugs to 'expand' my mind to encompas how going so far East is the the middle of anyone's 'West'.

Now I live in New England, which I am told by the locals goes as far South as to the borders of New York. Everything North-East of NY is NE. NY is not in the NE.

Then I see this thread.

If I drive 12 hours South near to the Southern end of the nation, how is that in the North East corner?
You wouldn't consider NY the Northeast? I tend to think all of New England, New York, Eastern PA from Philly and up, and Northern New Jersey are all apart of "the Northeast".

Either way, what good comes from nitpicking? You know exactly what this thread is talking about. It ranged from the Mid-Atlantic and affected part of the Northeast.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:48 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times
Quote:

Then I see this thread.

Well, that's... interesting.

Here's a helpful link. Northeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Northeastern United States (sometimes called simply the Northeast) is a region of the United States.[1][2] According to the definition used by the United States Census Bureau, the Northeast region consists of nine states: the New England states of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut; and the Mid-Atlantic States of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.[3] Major cities in this area include New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Jersey City and Buffalo.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

16,734 posts, read 23,155,761 times
Quote:

Then I see this thread.

Weird.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Quote:

Then I see this thread.

Nit-picking semantics is fun, but "the Northeast" generally covers a region much larger than your house. Much of the Northeast got snow. I'm sorry your portion of it missed out.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
Quote:
So, still nothing in the North East.

Nothing at all?
My parents ended up with 23 inches in Southeastern Mass. We got over 15 in Boston. However, my brother returned home from his ski trip in Vermont only to find that my parents had more snow than he saw all weekend. Strange considering Killington generally gets more than double what they get annually in Assonet, MA (and Killington will likely still have more in 2009 even though they missed this storm entirely).

Anyway, if we're nitpicking, isn't "NE" the postal abbreviation for Nebraska? So wouldn't this threat technically be about a Nebraska snow storm?

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
Less Arguing, more pictures!! 5th most snow in Baltimore history

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjcastl/4201046104/ - broken link)

015 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15828346@N00/4200244939/ - broken link)

mt. vernon on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/throwherinthewater/4200252643/ - broken link)

Baltimore Blizzard on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/scribs/4200439812/ - broken link)

East Hamburg Street after Snowpocalypse 2009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tdmacintosh/4200237130/ - broken link)

Morning Ice Cicles on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yarncoffee/4200201116/ - broken link)

North Charles Street on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/colton/4199494598/ - broken link)

Gilman Hall on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arcaneraven/4198984180/ - broken link)

Snow Covered Cars on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/meggallucci/4198873112/ - broken link)

Baltimore Blizzard 2009 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfitz2nyc/4198063059/ - broken link)

Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 AM

7,594 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It has never seemed that way to me. I have always thought the Northeast, in general, gets a lot more snow than Chicago.

This map seems to agree with me: HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Annual Snowfall"

ABQConvict
I agree; Northeastern cities generally get more snow ( more moisture-laden air), but some of the midwestern cities are a little colder.

By the way, I was in Chicago over the weekend, and there IS snow on the ground- just not that much of it.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You wouldn't consider NY the Northeast? I tend to think all of New England, New York, Eastern PA from Philly and up, and Northern New Jersey are all apart of "the Northeast".

Either way, what good comes from nitpicking? You know exactly what this thread is talking about. It ranged from the Mid-Atlantic and affected part of the Northeast.
I am not from the East Coast. My Dw is, and we have owned two homes on the East Coast, one in Ct and one in Me.

From what I had gathered from my Dw and in-laws, and from living in Ct and Me off and on for the past 30 years; I have been under the distinct understanding that Ny is pretty much the border of NE.

But like I said, I think that sometimes when folks draw these lines of demarcation it makes no sense.

I do have friends and relatives who live in the DC beltway. None of them would consider that area to be NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.