U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Well, I am from the Mid-West. Meaning the middle of the West, or Northern California [The middle of the West]. Technically the center of the West is Oregon, but Northern Cal is close enough.

I do understand that some wacked out druggies think that 1,500 miles Eastward is somehow called the Middle-of-the-West of something. I simply do not inject enough drugs to 'expand' my mind to encompas how going so far East is the the middle of anyone's 'West'.
I like the descriptive humor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,132,233 times
1. Its called the NE snowstorm because it hit all NE corridor cities.

2. Chicago does not get big snowstorms like the NE because our majority snowfall comes from two different sources. Chicago is lake effect, biggest snowfalls come from Nor'easters.

3. NE cities with the exception of Boston (They average more) average around the same amount of snow anually. So, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC if its snowing in one city, chances are these cities have seen or will see the same weather system.

4. NE cities with the exception of Boston (Its gets colder), don't see big differences in temperature usually a 5 degree difference between NYC & DC.

5. I'm not sure about the other NE cites, but Baltimore received its first snowfall around the middle of October.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:51 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,275,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been under the distinct understanding that Ny is pretty much the border of NE...I do have friends and relatives who live in the DC beltway. None of them would consider that area to be NE.
You must be defining NE as New England. Here it's being used as Northeast, especially considering that New England (and Nebraska) got none or very little snow this past weekend.

Northeast=New England (ME,CT,MA,VT,NH,RI) +Mid-Atlantic (NY,PA,NJ,MD,DE,DC)

Old 12-23-2009, 06:29 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
You must be defining NE as New England. Here it's being used as Northeast, especially considering that New England (and Nebraska) got none or very little snow this past weekend.

Northeast=New England (ME,CT,MA,VT,NH,RI) +Mid-Atlantic (NY,PA,NJ,MD,DE,DC)
Parts of New England got a ton of snow (2 feet or more in parts of MA), but forest keeper's house didn't, so there was no NE snowstorm apparently. It's all a MSM conspiracy.

Most of the Northeast looks pretty well covered at the moment : Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States

Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM

30,671 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
... Most of the Northeast looks pretty well covered at the moment : Intellicast - Snow Cover in United States
True Maine got about a 1/4 inch last night, they were calling for 5 to 8 inches.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 PM

155 posts, read 144,487 times
We got almost 24 inches. It was great, hope it snows again soon.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's funny is that in Syracuse, it would be life as usual if it occurred here. We also have the equipment to handle it too.
If such a storm occurred in Denver (as it does every few years, not just once a decade or so), it would be a mess, but no one would know b/c the media doesn't care about us.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If such a storm occurred in Denver (as it does every few years, not just once a decade or so), it would be a mess, but no one would know b/c the media doesn't care about us.
Yeah, why is that?
Whenever I watch the weather channel the western states get a mere moment of recognition while the Northeast, Mid-west, and Southeast spend exceptional amount of time being recognized. This even happens when the weather situations out west are more crucial.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:01 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Yeah, why is that?
Whenever I watch the weather channel the western states get a mere moment of recognition while the Northeast, Mid-west, and Southeast spend exceptional amount of time being recognized. This even happens when the weather situations out west are more crucial.
We are too far from the beltway!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,767,526 times
I'm sorry I hurt some of your feelings with the title of this thread. I didn't think so many of you would cry about what you consider the "Northeast". I called it that because most people I know around the country consider the BosWash corridor the NE. There's the Amtrak Acela line which is called the NE line that spans for those cities. Does it really matter though? It was a big snow storm and if you are going to nitpick and can't figure out where the snow storm was, then why post? Just to start an argument? Some of you spend so much time arguing about what certain regions are on this site that it simply amazes me. Are people really going to be different when you cross an imaginary border for a region? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.