U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,757,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
I've posted a thread like this before, but I am still looking for ideas. I figured I would try again, and be more specific about the things I care about most.

I am looking for a small-mid size city of at least 50K up to about 250K. I have found that anything smaller usually has too limited apartment options, and anything bigger is too big for my taste. I do not want a city with a large metro with sprawling suburbs. One area of the country I do not want to live is the Northeast.

Climate - I am not too hard to please. I do want an average winter high of at least 25F and snowfall to average less than 30 inches a year.

Cost - It is important that the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment be low, averaging less than $550 a month. Preferrably even under $500. I have found cheap apartments in many cities, but there is sometimes a reason they are so low (age, neighborhood, etc) So, I need this price to be average, even for a decent, no frills, apartment

Public Transit - I need a city with some sort of public transit. I won't need it every day, and it is okay if it does not run on nights and weekends. I just need something.

Crime - Like everyone, I am looking for a fairly safe city. All cities have crime, and some have distinct bad areas to avoid. I just want to feel safe walking or riding a bus, and do not want a city where the only safe areas are where only the wealthy can afford.

Airport I would like to live in a city with an airport served by at least two commercial airlines, even if they are regional jet or turbo-prop.

Politics - I am very conservative myself. I would like to live in a place that has mostly conservative views, with an importance on Church, morals, and common sense. I also do not drink, and would like a place where you aren't expected to in order to enjoy life or socialize.

Things that do not matter - Schools, Night Life, Things For Children, Jobs (mine is transferrable)

If you have any ideas, let me know.
Boise Idaho

I would have said Abeline or Lubbock TX as well but the temps are higher than what you wanted
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 AM

161 posts, read 556,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Boise Idaho

I would have said Abeline or Lubbock TX as well but the temps are higher than what you wanted
Actually, I never said I had a maximum temp, just that I wanted my winter highs to average above 25F.

Boise seems nice, but I am not sure about the cost.

Sevreal cities in west Texas have appealed to me, which has been suggested.

Missouri also has caught my attention, although not Branson as someone posted, as it is too small.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:25 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
Actually, I never said I had a maximum temp, just that I wanted my winter highs to average above 25F.

Boise seems nice, but I am not sure about the cost.

Sevreal cities in west Texas have appealed to me, which has been suggested.

Missouri also has caught my attention, although not Branson as someone posted, as it is too small.
If you go to Missouri, Springfield might work.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Like Timeofseasons, I had the thought that college towns would work except for the politics. One feature you seek which many smaller cities with univerisities have is transit. There are also likely to be quite a few apartment options, though you might want to check closely about which apartment complexes have a lot of students, as many working adults don't care to be surrounded by noisy college kids, and you might need to watch out for slumlords.

College towns in the South or the interior West might be an option, because the generally conservative leanings of these regions may counter the college-related politics, and make these places more moderate than is usually the case in college towns, even if not way far to the right. You'd want to be careful to check the particular area closely, though, because not all Southern and Western college towns have moderate politics (think Asheville and Durham as examples of college towns leaning more to the left).

Take these suggestions with a grain of salt, because I know of these places only by reading and hearing about them, but a few specific possibilities that come to mind are:

Lincoln, NE: Right around the upper end of your population range, so at some point it will be a bit larger, but it's in the ballpark you're talking about. Also, Lincoln may be effectively smaller in practical terms than many cities of 250k, because the city has annexed just about all of the area's suburban development, so there is very little surrounding metro area population adding to traffic and crowding in the city.

Manhattan, KS: The main problem is that I'm pretty sure there's no public transit. It seems to fit your other criteria pretty well.

Norman, OK: Though it's located in the OKC metro area, I get the impression that Norman stands alone to a great degree, and has the feel of an independent small city. Also, from what I've heard, it's supposed to be a really nice town, which is large enough to have a life outside of Oklahoma U., while still fitting within your preferred population range.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 AM

412 posts, read 1,607,091 times
Cheyenne, Wyoming (Population, 53,000)

Climate- Cheyenne's average high in January is 39, and they do not get much snow because it is in a semi-arid climate.
Cost- The average cost of apartments in Cheyenne is $475 a month, which is in your range.
Public Transit- Cheyenne has a bus system and a street railway that travels through downtown. The average commute time is 14 minutes, which is mostly due to low density rather than traffic.
Crime- Cheyenne is has below (US) average crime rates for every crime. Most of the crimes committed are theft related.
Airport- Cheyenne has a regional airport, which offers direct flights daily to Denver via Great Lakes Airlines, Denver's airport is one of the largest airports in the nation and offers you limitless opportunities for travel.
Politics- Cheyenne is quite conservative, and 47% of the population attends church.

I am honestly kind of surprised how well this meets everything you want. It just came to my mind for some reason, but really Cheyenne may be perfect for you.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
Cheyenne, Wyoming (Population, 53,000)

Climate- Cheyenne's average high in January is 39, and they do not get much snow because it is in a semi-arid climate.
Cost- The average cost of apartments in Cheyenne is $475 a month, which is in your range.
Public Transit- Cheyenne has a bus system and a street railway that travels through downtown. The average commute time is 14 minutes, which is mostly due to low density rather than traffic.
Crime- Cheyenne is has below (US) average crime rates for every crime. Most of the crimes committed are theft related.
Airport- Cheyenne has a regional airport, which offers direct flights daily to Denver via Great Lakes Airlines, Denver's airport is one of the largest airports in the nation and offers you limitless opportunities for travel.
Politics- Cheyenne is quite conservative, and 47% of the population attends church.

I am honestly kind of surprised how well this meets everything you want. It just came to my mind for some reason, but really Cheyenne may be perfect for you.
You forgot to mention that dratted WIND!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM

412 posts, read 1,607,091 times
I had another idea, you may try college towns in Texas, like Huntsville (near Houston) or Gainesville(near Dallas/Oklahoma). Those may be much to small for you, but there are many colleges in Texas, out side of the ones that are well known. You'd be surprised.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,582 times
Provo, Utah might be a good fit. The size of the city, the climate, housing costs, public transportation, and crime/safety all fit your description. I don't know anything about the airport, but I know there is one there and that the Salt Lake City airport isn't very far away. As far as politics go, Provo is extremely conservative and I know that church is a very huge deal there. Also, from what I've seen in pictures, it is a very nice looking place with lots of natural beauty.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,034,690 times
Have you considered starting drinking? All sorts of cities will seem like a blast by about beer number ten.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,496,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Have you considered starting drinking? All sorts of cities will seem like a blast by about beer number ten.
Nothing says helpful like insulting the OP's taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.