U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:12 AM

139 posts, read 407,253 times

Advertisements

Abilene, Tx; Lubbock, Tx; Waco, Tx; College Station, Tx..pretty much, any mid-sized town in Texas will fit the bill. The college towns have better public transit, so that's why they went to the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:28 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,030,243 times
Jackson, MS

Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,007 times
Greenville SC is supposed to be a great small city if you don't need a job.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 AM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,878 times
Champaign, IL (population 80,000) combined with neighboring Urbana and Savoy at 125,000

Politics: Its on the moderate to liberal side since it partially share a huge university with Urbana.
Cost of living: Not high, 2008 median house value was $150,000 and median rent $775
Crime: A little higher than national average, but low murder rate
Weather: Central Illinois, so average winter is around 20s or 30s

Peoria,IL( population, 114,000)

Politics: I think its moderate
Cost of living: median house value $125,000 median rent $639
Crime: Northside is better, southside higher crime
Weather: central Illinois with winters right up your alley.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:04 PM

252 posts, read 633,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal78 View Post
Abilene, Tx; Lubbock, Tx; Waco, Tx; College Station, Tx..pretty much, any mid-sized town in Texas will fit the bill. The college towns have better public transit, so that's why they went to the top of the list.
He has no reason to live in College Station unless he's going to school. There's little for him to do there.

Lubbock has a bad crime rate so I doubt that's what he wants and like College Station, there's no reason to live there unless he's going to school there. Not much to do unless you are a student and Lubbock is 300 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

Waco has as bad of a crime rate as Lubbock. I want to say the same thing about Abilene as well and like Lubbock, it's out in no where.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,497,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
He has no reason to live in College Station unless he's going to school. There's little for him to do there.

Lubbock has a bad crime rate so I doubt that's what he wants and like College Station, there's no reason to live there unless he's going to school there. Not much to do unless you are a student and Lubbock is 300 miles out in the middle of nowhere.

Waco has as bad of a crime rate as Lubbock. I want to say the same thing about Abilene as well and like Lubbock, it's out in no where.
I think you're making the crime seem worse than it really is. It is true that Lubbock has a higher crime rate than average, but that is largely due to the city's recent growth and the police force is adapting. In the 17 years I've lived here, I have not once been the victim of a crime.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,962,576 times
Albany, NY

It has some sketchy areas, but they're pretty avoidable considering your budget.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,424,164 times
There is crime everywhere.

Fear for your lives!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM

252 posts, read 633,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think you're making the crime seem worse than it really is. It is true that Lubbock has a higher crime rate than average, but that is largely due to the city's recent growth and the police force is adapting. In the 17 years I've lived here, I have not once been the victim of a crime.
Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen. You must really choke from sticking your head in the sand that deep.

There was an incident several years ago when a group of thugs were going into the bathroom at the mall in Lubbock and walking up to guys using the urinals, bashing their heads into the wall then taking their wallets before they could react. They finally got caught because they tried that on an undercover cop who pulled his gun out when they were closing in on him.

With a higher rate of crime, one must heighten his or her awareness proportionately.

Quote:
There is crime everywhere.
What is your point? Some places have much higher levels or crime compared to others. That's what's important to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.