U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:34 PM

161 posts, read 556,469 times

Advertisements

I've posted a thread like this before, but I am still looking for ideas. I figured I would try again, and be more specific about the things I care about most.

I am looking for a small-mid size city of at least 50K up to about 250K. I have found that anything smaller usually has too limited apartment options, and anything bigger is too big for my taste. I do not want a city with a large metro with sprawling suburbs. One area of the country I do not want to live is the Northeast.

Climate - I am not too hard to please. I do want an average winter high of at least 25F and snowfall to average less than 30 inches a year.

Cost - It is important that the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment be low, averaging less than $550 a month. Preferrably even under $500. I have found cheap apartments in many cities, but there is sometimes a reason they are so low (age, neighborhood, etc) So, I need this price to be average, even for a decent, no frills, apartment

Public Transit - I need a city with some sort of public transit. I won't need it every day, and it is okay if it does not run on nights and weekends. I just need something.

Crime - Like everyone, I am looking for a fairly safe city. All cities have crime, and some have distinct bad areas to avoid. I just want to feel safe walking or riding a bus, and do not want a city where the only safe areas are where only the wealthy can afford.

Airport I would like to live in a city with an airport served by at least two commercial airlines, even if they are regional jet or turbo-prop.

Politics - I am very conservative myself. I would like to live in a place that has mostly conservative views, with an importance on Church, morals, and common sense. I also do not drink, and would like a place where you aren't expected to in order to enjoy life or socialize.

Things that do not matter - Schools, Night Life, Things For Children, Jobs (mine is transferrable)

If you have any ideas, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,916,645 times
Check out Johnson City, Tennessee. City population: 61,000. Metro population: 195,000. Very conservative area. Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians. Commercial airport with 3 airlines (Allegiant, Delta, USAir). Very affordable, low crime, four beautiful seasons.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM

6,520 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Ever thought of Grand Rapids Michgian. It is cheap, has a population in your window and it is conservative and religious. There is a decent size airport on the southeast side of town. The city is only about 40 min from the beaches of Lake Michigan, and it is one of the nicer cities in the midwest to live in. Only one of your wants is not met there, the weather. Grand Rapids does receive alot of snow and it can be cold. You will not find many places that offer the cost of living that you will find there.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:47 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,920 times
I would have suggested cities that are college towns, but if your a conservative it probably wouldn't completely fit your discription. You may want to look at: Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City, Fort Wayne

Those are three cities that come to thought.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Ridgecrest, CA fits some of these.

It's only 30,000 people.

Winter highs are in the 40's-50's, and snow only every 5-6 years. Hot as Hades during the summer, with nice (albeit short) fall's and spring's.

Fits the apartment parameter.

The only public transit is a dial-a-ride and a regional bus system.

Low crime, mostly small-town petty drama B.S.

The airport (Inyokern, IYK) has daily flights to/from Los Angeles on United.

About as conservative as it gets, with a military focus (a naval base is the primary employer).

Old 12-20-2009, 04:53 AM

21,189 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Branson, Missouri

Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,497,713 times
Lubbock, Texas, fits everything on your list.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Naperville, Illinois (about 30 miles West of Chicago). Consistently rated in the top 5 (and finished 1st one year) "best places to live" by CNN/Money magazine. Its incredibly safe, has two Metra train stations, decent bus coverage, taxis galore. Its quite expensive, but with the economy the way it is, many rents have been slashed. You shouldnt have a big problem finding somewhere to rent in your price range. And I know you dont care, but nightlife and dining is absolutely superb, especially around the downtown area.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:52 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Naperville, Illinois (about 30 miles West of Chicago). Consistently rated in the top 5 (and finished 1st one year) "best places to live" by CNN/Money magazine. Its incredibly safe, has two Metra train stations, decent bus coverage, taxis galore. Its quite expensive, but with the economy the way it is, many rents have been slashed. You shouldnt have a big problem finding somewhere to rent in your price range. And I know you dont care, but nightlife and dining is absolutely superb, especially around the downtown area.
IMO, Naperville is exactly what the OP is not looking for. It's part of Chicagoland, which has almost 10 million people. And Naperville (overall) is not cheap.

The OP is looking for a place more the size of Rockford or Champaign.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
I'm thinking somewhere in Utah as they tend to be conservative and have plenty of non-drinkers. Granted much/most of that is due to the Mormons, but there are parts of Utah that aren't so Mormon. However Utah might be expensive, I don't know. Idaho is somewhat less Mormon, but still quite conservative, and might have places that fit. Nampa, Idaho looks to be in a county with low alcohol use, It might be too cold for you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.