U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,054 times

Advertisements

I'm amazed at all the people who think you can just pick up and move to any country. The US makes it very difficult to immigrate, so why do some people think it wouldn't be the same the other way around?

I lived in Uganda for 2 years, but my permanent home is Scotland due to marriage. I'm quite happy to live here forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
Default Easy to Immigrate

Reply to yankinscotland. I have found it quite easy to move outside the U.S. There are many countries that will provide U.S. expats with tax free status, duty free status on inports and residency status. Most other countries with any reasonable level of civilization speak english, although immigrants should really learn the language just like immigrants to the U.S. should learn the language.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM

21 posts, read 34,328 times
HI, we have been considering such a move for the last 3 years.. Currently more seriously.
It helps that I am french and american, so no visa issues here but still quite a bit of red tape even though we have been married for 5 years+ (and in france) I second the fact that Americans do tend to think that the world is their oyster and they can pick up and move anywhere.. it is not that easy..
I love my life in the US, but ran the numbers and thought that if we were going to stay middle class we would be better off in france..I am also scared about healthcare costs here.
Turns out that France is really hitting the recession right now. While 2 years ago i was offered a job with decent salary, I am now struggling to get anything with a decent salary in Paris.
There is a lot of ups and a lot of downs to living in france.Moving abroad can be an investment of time and money so I would not take it lightly..

Old 03-07-2011, 03:34 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Moderator cut: orphaned
Anybody can move to just about any country, if they have enough capital to invest, but very few people seeking to settle abroad are in that category.

For people who do not have a large amount of money to invest (half a million or so), the choices are very thin. Almost every country has free health care, very cheap health care, or both, and they are not interested in a bunch of fed-up, sick Americans coming in to overload their health care system. And there is certainly no way they will let you take a job that a citizen can do. There is virtually no developed foreign country that an American can just walk into and set up housekeeping.

Last edited by Bo; 03-07-2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you quoted was deleted.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 PM

65 posts, read 189,186 times
You can live in Europe or Canada on a visa, but they don't want you working there unless you can do some exotic job that none of their locals can do. I tried to get into Britain years ago, but they are only letting in people in the EU and their recent ex-colonies. I think as well that retired people who didn't need to work would also have problems as those countries realize Americans are often uninsured or poorly insured, and they don't want us to burden their healthcare systems. How it is that so many Arabs have been able to emmigrate to France and Holland and elsewhere in Europe is a mystery to me. Anyone know? The Arab populations in some European countries is overwhelming, influencing their culture, other things.
Adreana

Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'm amazed at all the people who think you can just pick up and move to any country. The US makes it very difficult to immigrate, so why do some people think it wouldn't be the same the other way around?

I lived in Uganda for 2 years, but my permanent home is Scotland due to marriage. I'm quite happy to live here forever.
Yankinscotland,
Can you get me in? The US doesn't make it difficult for everyone to get in, neither does Europe it would seem from the huge Arab population. But mostly you are correct.
Adreana

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1 View Post
Reply to yankinscotland. I have found it quite easy to move outside the U.S. There are many countries that will provide U.S. expats with tax free status, duty free status on inports and residency status. Most other countries with any reasonable level of civilization speak english, although immigrants should really learn the language just like immigrants to the U.S. should learn the language.
Could you please name some of those countries? Do you have info as to how stable and democratic they are?
Thanks.
Adreana

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
i tried staying overseas permanently, but i ran out of money and had to come back to the US. basically, lived in bangkok for around two years but i blew all my money on nightlife and couldn't find a way to make enough money to support my lifestyle. nowadays i try to work in the US for six months and travel the other six months. it's worked with varying success, but has become more difficult in the last couple years due to the economic downturn. been spending most of my time in cambodia (mostly phnom penh), thailand (mostly bangkok and pattaya), and lately colombia (medellin). wouldn't object to moving full-time to any of these countries.

if i had the money i would move to hong kong, have wanted to move back ever since i left when i was a little kid. it's my favorite city in the world.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
I've worked outside of the US for over 40 years in many different parts of the world. It's hard to beat the US with the great exception of health insurance costs. For us, that is the killer factor in life in America.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
if i had the money i would move to hong kong, have wanted to move back ever since i left when i was a little kid. it's my favorite city in the world.
You must love shopping malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or