U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,788,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd love to move to Puerto Vallarta, MX, but it is very diffucult if you aren't wealthy.
Can't really get a job and I am learning Spanish.
They have this crazy law that says "you cannot hire a foriegner to do a job that a citizen can do".
Can you imagine if the US had such a law?

The easiest country to emmigrate to is Puerto Rico. I have a friend that moved there, bought a nice house with a pool for $170K and works as a doorman at a resort. Now granted he works alot, but he loves it.
Doesn't speak a lick of Spanish...
easiest country to move to from my experience is cambodia. as long as you pay US$25/month for the business visa they don't care what you do in the country, own a business/work a job whatever. wages are low, however, typical unskilled american will only be able to teach (maybe $800-1000/month but some make $1500+) or some random stuff, possibly NGO work that might pay higher. if you're skilled you can make a bit more, but not much more, maybe $2000-3000/month working for a MNC or university or something, or if you have money you can invest in a business but that's usually a money loser because the country is corrupt as hell so wouldn't recommend it.

i personally like living in cambo, but it's not for everyone. very little infrastructure. not one movie theatre in the entire country. not a mcdonalds in the country either to my knowledge. the countrys only mall is not really a mall by international standards either, its pretty pathetic. medical is awful as well. for some reason i get sick after around a month there and have to take a trip back to bangkok or something all the time to get back to civilization

but its easy to move to. as long as you have a valid passport elsewhere theyre not going to kick you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:56 PM

16,437 posts, read 19,216,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's nearly impossible to gain access to the US as a permanent resident now .
You just walk across the Rio Grande at rush hour with all the other thousands, and if anyone tries to stop you just say "No hablo Anglais!" and they have to let you go. If they do take you in, say you're from Uganda, you're gay, and apply for political asylum.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:

The easiest country to emmigrate to is Puerto Rico. I have a friend that moved there, bought a nice house with a pool for $170K and works as a doorman at a resort. Now granted he works alot, but he loves it.
Doesn't speak a lick of Spanish...
You do understand that Puerto Rico IS the United States, do you not?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,006,273 times
I've thought about Canada once or twice.. if that counts.. I doubt I'll pull through with it.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 AM

Immigrate USA? Here's how to do it: Illegal immigration: Influx of immigrants from India baffles border officials in Texas - latimes.com

Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I've thought about Canada once or twice.. if that counts.. I doubt I'll pull through with it.
I like Canada, but they are tough on immigration. It would be nearly impossible for an old guy like me to get Landed Resident status.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,865,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have checked my facts, perhaps you should check yours.
It's nearly impossible to gain access to the US as a permanent resident now which proves your knowledge of the subject. New Zealand up until the earthquake was fairly easy to access if you could prove sufficient financials or were able to provide a necessary employment skill. The same holds true of any civilized country with an open border.
Since I'm a Kiwi in New Zealand I know what the facts are
New Zealand has not been easy to access over the past thirty years, we do allow those under thirty to stay for a year working.
But, if you want to come to NZ with a permanent resident stamp in your passport you will need to have skills we NEED at that time.
Example I was speaking to an American who got knocked even though he had a PhD in history, he was a bit upset because another American got in on his skills (electrician)
His view seemed to be that those who hold PhDs should always be on the needed list.

Having a Kiwi spouse, one bloke in Texas made the error of believing he would get automatic entry to NZ to access our universal health care.
Nope, no chance since he had a heart problem, and he also had no skills we needed.

Some retired Americans can and do spend six months a year in NZ, should we ask for half the income tax they pay to Uncle Sam ?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 AM

11,618 posts, read 13,717,397 times
Thanks Captain Obvious.

Puerto Rico is a COUNTRY that is also a US territory.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 AM

11,618 posts, read 13,717,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You do understand that Puerto Rico IS the United States, do you not?
*sigh*
Of course. I have been there. I have seen signs for the US Park Service in their parks.
But it is still it's own country. And it isn't quite a state. Saying "I live in Puerto Rico" isn't quite the same as saying "I live in Ohio...."

Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 PM

3,726 posts, read 5,828,077 times
Quote:
Thanks Captain Obvious.

Puerto Rico is a COUNTRY that is also a US territory.
No, it is not a country. The term "country" implies independence and sovereignty, and you don't have that if you're a territory of another country.

From wikipedia:

As Puerto Rico is not an independent country, it hosts no embassies....

The nature of Puerto Rico's political relationship with the U.S. is the subject of ongoing debate in Puerto Rico, the United States Congress, and the United Nations. Specifically, the basic question is whether Puerto Rico should remain a U.S. territory, become a U.S. state, or become an independent country.

Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or