U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM

610 posts, read 2,757,060 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here ever thought about moving overseas to some country and trying to start a new life?

Does anyone on here know someone who has done something like that?

If American does fix its problems like health care, education, etc there might end up being a mass migration of Americans overseas.

Remember when Europeans emigrated to America in the 19th and early 20th century. Instead of Europeans it is now the Americans turn to emigrate overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
Despite only going out of a 200 mile radius once I've thought about it. I love geography and there are some things about the US I don't care for. My little sister lives in Japan and has expressed some desire to live there for good, but she does worry about how that would affect the family. I have a nephew who works in Mexico and has expressed a desire to move there, but says Mexican law makes it difficult for an immigrant to ever become a citizen .

I know of writers and artists who moved to another country for good, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone in my life who's done it. I have a distant cousin who is a priest in India, but he's been there as long as I've known him and this is more out of an urge to work with the people of India. (And of late to keep Indian Catholics from going Pentecostal. He was blunter about that than I'm used to in modern priests, but I liked him for it) I know of people who moved to Australia, New Zealand, Britain, or Ireland "for good" more or less. Sometimes this is due to marriage. I didn't think of them as "in my life" because mostly these are "friends of friends" or "friends of family" who I have never met.

I'd say there is usually more of a "pull" than a "push" factor in the cases I know. If I'm saying that right, what I mean is the person isn't "leaving the US" so much as being drawn to some other country. In a few cases they even love the US, but they love another country or a certain man more. (Man because it's usually women who move to another nation for marriage, at least in the cases I've heard) This is maybe not so true of the authors and artists in history, but fits the people I've heard about it in life.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,024,591 times
My brother moved to Taiwan 20 years ago. He seems to like it. Still doesn't really know the language.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 PM

610 posts, read 2,757,060 times
What is your brother doing in Taiwan? How was he able to stay there for so long? Did he get sometype of perm. resident visa?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:33 PM

He is a self-employed entrepreneur mostly import /export.

He has to clear his visa every couple of years. So he either spends a weekend in Hawaii or Guam if he doesn't spend a week or so in NY or CA.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM

21,197 posts, read 30,388,339 times
I wish the Europeans would have us, who in their right mind wouldn't want to live in France or Italy?
Lately Panama is becoming a popular place for Americans to flee to.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:40 PM

the surfing crowd seems to find Costa Rica appealing

Old 12-19-2009, 08:48 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,290,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone on here ever thought about moving overseas to some country and trying to start a new life?

Does anyone on here know someone who has done something like that?

If American does fix its problems like health care, education, etc there might end up being a mass migration of Americans overseas.

Remember when Europeans emigrated to America in the 19th and early 20th century. Instead of Europeans it is now the Americans turn to emigrate overseas.
Well I disagree that there will be a mass exodus of Americans anytime soon, but to answer your original question, yes.

I hope to work for the U.S. government and live abroad for several years.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,421,599 times
I don't think there's going to be any massive movement of Americans overseas, either, in part because most of us have to work. Getting a work visa, or permanent residency, isn't usually easy, and many of us aren't willing to try it illegally.

I haven't lived overseas, but I wish I had had the experience. I was the finalist for a job abroad once (ah, what might have been...), but maybe at some other point in life I'll have a chance to try out another country.

I have friends and relatives (Americans) who live in other countries, and most of them do it by choice and enjoy where they live. They didn't move because they disliked the USA, though. I think the experience of living elsewhere has helped highlight for them what they like best about the USA, as well as what could be done better. No place is perfect.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,573,808 times
have already done it in 2 countries, but doing it any permanent amount of time places a burden on friends/families I had built up here... But I would like to be able to travel on an ongoing basis and not really have any "permanent" home, which is what I am working on, so shouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or