U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:36 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
Wow, this list is almost nightmarish. Some I can agree with being high on the list, like maybe Tennesee, but NY in last place?!

Also Florida, all the way up there? The State with the second highest divorce rate
Quote:
WRONG
in the country, and the third worst education system
Quote:
WRONG
, aka hell for the children?

Maybe they were surveying all the half-dead 70 year olds in Boca who are enjoying their fake paradise on that godforsaken sandbar from hell.

This is all coming from a native Floridian.

Oh and Florida is #1 in terms of sex-offenders
Quote:
WRONG
and car-related deaths . Don't believe any of the stuff I'm saying? Go ahead and backcheck me.
Couldn't find rate for car related deaths but going by your track record I would have to go with WRONG

Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
I think we have three threads on this.

Anyway New York being near or even at the bottom is consistent with other studies. Gallup places it low in well-being and near the bottom in happiness.

Well-Being: Hawaii, Utah Still Top the Nation
Stress and Happiness: Often, but Not Always, Related

The result I found surprising is how happy some of our poorest states are listed.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think we have three threads on this.

Anyway New York being near or even at the bottom is consistent with other studies. Gallup places it low in well-being and near the bottom in happiness.

Well-Being: Hawaii, Utah Still Top the Nation
Stress and Happiness: Often, but Not Always, Related

The result I found surprising is how happy some of our poorest states are listed.

Actually there are probably about 100 threads on it. 1 in every state forum and then some in the state sub forums and a few in the general U.S. forum.

It would be interesting to compare the reactions in each state forum depending upon where they placed in the survey.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 PM

2,735 posts, read 3,268,188 times
Not surprised to see California burried at number 46. This surely wasn't the case 30 years ago when I moved into the state. This use to be a slice of paradise.

Unfortunately, the swath of illegal immigrants that blanket the state has much to do with this the negativity felt amongst most people, regardless of our 300 days of sunshine. Add high taxes, high cost of living, fires, mudslides, earthquakes, and the ocasional riot and it's not a wonder.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:41 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Actually there are probably about 100 threads on it. 1 in every state forum and then some in the state sub forums and a few in the general U.S. forum.

It would be interesting to compare the reactions in each state forum depending upon where they placed in the survey.
I did not know that. I'm not really seeing one in Louisiana or New York unless they're in a sub-forum of those state topics. I do see threads on it in the Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maine, Mississippi, South Dakota, and Tennessee.

Is Arizona a happy state ?
New Study: Happiest States Are...
California is the 46th Happiest State!
Survey indicates DE residents happier
Florida Ranked #3 in the Happiest State Study
happiest states
Happy State
Mississippi is a Happy State
SD 15th happiest state, according to survey.
Tennessee the 4th-happiest state

A common theme in these threads does seem to be "Florida is terrible." I don't know what the deal is with bashing Florida on CD. It's not a state that sounds appealing to me, I can't handle heat, but the reaction to it here is a bit intense. I almost can't blame you for originally thinking my skepticism of the study was because I have some animus to Florida as that seems to be about the most common reason to doubt it.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,191,107 times
The Florida-bashing on here is absolutely inane. Yes, it's hot; Alaska is cold - This is not news. Give me the heat of Florida any day over what I have now. We still get 90+ days in the summer up here (NJ) and blizzards in the winter. That's not superior weather, it's the worst of both worlds. I used to think Florida was a slightly overrated state until I started reading all the massive hatred for it and realized it's a rather underrated state, at least on here. Come on, Pensacola, Saint Augustine, Miami, Naples, Weston, Palm Bay, the Keys, there are some truly beautiful towns/cities/regions in Florida.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 AM

26 posts, read 48,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Couldn't find rate for car related deaths but going by your track record I would have to go with WRONG
I would like to see you cite your sources. Here's some of mine.

Increasing Divorce Rate in Florida - Arthur C. Fulmer Divorce Law Blog on Lawyers.com

"A testament to this new found acceptance of divorce can be seen in the state of Florida. From year to year, Florida consistently has one of the highest rates of divorce than any other state in the United States. In fact according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), records indicate that over 50,000 couples filed for divorce in the Sunshine State in 2005. This staggering number outweighs the combined divorce rates of each state in the Northern Midwest"Another source if you please.

DivorceMag: US Divorce Statistics

Florida alone according to this source has more divorces than ALL OF NEW ENGLAND COMBINED.

Also concerning car-related deaths... how about a Time article?

Florida Grapples With Its Deadly Hit-and-Run Car Culture - TIME

"Nowhere does that culture look more extreme than in Florida, which has one of the most inadequate public transit systems in the U.S., as well as a dearth of sidewalks and bike paths."

"A study by the nonprofit Transportation for America in Washington, D.C., lists the most dangerous metropolitan areas for pedestrians, and the worst four just happen to be in the Sunshine State: Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville. It may seem like an astonishing find, but it's not actually all that surprising: 490 pedestrians were killed by cars in Florida last year, the most in any state, and South Florida consistently ranks as one of the worst pockets for hit-and-run fatalities."

Oh and concerning our educational system, here's a few links worth reading.

Education Week: Lawsuit: Florida Failed to Provide 'High-Quality' Schools

Lawsuit claims Florida is failing its schools, wants new education plan - St. Petersburg Times

All you have to do is Google the information. The educational-system is PATHETIC, and among the WORSE YOU WILL FIND IN THE COUNTRY.

Okay, so I just backed up what I said with links and information, while you just replied to each of my statemenets with WRONG.

Arguing is really easy if you just point at the other person and call them wrong, without having any backing behind what you yourself are saying.

FLORIDA IS A DIVE AND I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF HERE

enjoy your 83 degree Decembers you crazy people who move here and actually enjoy it, just realise that you deserve to have your kids resent you for screwing up their future so much, my State and my country failed me, and is failing many many others

Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,191,107 times
I have spent several weeks in Florida (usually around 2 - 2 1/2) each August for the past 13-15 years. The "unbearable" heat is overdramatized. Yes, it can be uncomfortable at times, just as all extreme weather can.

I spent the better part of my afternoon shoveling this horrendous snow off my driveway. I would contemplate murder for an 83 degree December right about now.

Everyone has states they like and dislike. I'm really tired of hearing from the same predictable Northerners who move down to Florida because they think it will be all Disney world and 24/7 beach time and then realize that life isn't perfect in any state, so they go on bitter tirades trying to cast Florida in an overly negative light.

Bitterness is no virtue.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 AM

The bashing is non stop and i can understand some legitimate complaints but it is usually the same few that will say it never gets below 90 degrees or the graduation rate is 28% even though the temp right now is 39 degrees where I am and the graduation rate is nowhere near that low.

They will just keep insisting they are right even when shown proof to the contrary.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
I would like to see you cite your sources. Here's some of mine.

Increasing Divorce Rate in Florida - Arthur C. Fulmer Divorce Law Blog on Lawyers.com

"A testament to this new found acceptance of divorce can be seen in the state of Florida. From year to year, Florida consistently has one of the highest rates of divorce than any other state in the United States. In fact according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), records indicate that over 50,000 couples filed for divorce in the Sunshine State in 2005. This staggering number outweighs the combined divorce rates of each state in the Northern Midwest"Another source if you please.

DivorceMag: US Divorce Statistics

Florida alone according to this source has more divorces than ALL OF NEW ENGLAND COMBINED.

Quote:
You do realize that Florida has about 4 million more people than all those states combined, don't you? Those were also 1998 numbers, state laws also influence where people file. In 2005 there were at least 8 states with higher divorce rates, some much higher. The U.S. average was 3.6 per 1000 and Florida was at 4.6, hardly a huge difference. Divorce Rates by State, 1990–2005 — Infoplease.com

Also concerning car-related deaths... how about a Time article?

Florida Grapples With Its Deadly Hit-and-Run Car Culture - TIME

"Nowhere does that culture look more extreme than in Florida, which has one of the most inadequate public transit systems in the U.S., as well as a dearth of sidewalks and bike paths."

"A study by the nonprofit Transportation for America in Washington, D.C., lists the most dangerous metropolitan areas for pedestrians, and the worst four just happen to be in the Sunshine State: Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville. It may seem like an astonishing find, but it's not actually all that surprising: 490 pedestrians were killed by cars in Florida last year, the most in any state, and South Florida consistently ranks as one of the worst pockets for hit-and-run fatalities."
Quote:
How about an actual vehicle related death rate instead of an article that does not take in to account the population of the state. If you look at this chart you will see many states with higher vehicle related deaths.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...s/m807a1t1.gif

Oh and concerning our educational system, here's a few links worth reading.

Education Week: Lawsuit: Florida Failed to Provide 'High-Quality' Schools

Lawsuit claims Florida is failing its schools, wants new education plan - St. Petersburg Times

All you have to do is Google the information. The educational-system is PATHETIC, and among the WORSE YOU WILL FIND IN THE COUNTRY.
Quote:
You linked to 2 articles about lawsuits. I actually have children going to Florida schools and all of them are performing above average and I am very satisfied with the schools. You have not shown were they rank third worst as you claimed. By the way it should be "worst" not "worse" in your sentence. Where did you go to school?

Okay, so I just backed up what I said with links and information, while you just replied to each of my statemenets with WRONG.

Arguing is really easy if you just point at the other person and call them wrong, without having any backing behind what you yourself are saying.

FLORIDA IS A DIVE AND I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF HERE

enjoy your 83 degree Decembers you crazy people who move here and actually enjoy it, just realise that you deserve to have your kids resent you for screwing up their future so much, my State and my country failed me, and is failing many many others
You linked to blogs and articles about lawsuits that did nothing to back up your claims of where Florida ranked.

I have linked to actual data showing you were WRONG.

If your kids resent you I really think instead of blaming a state you need just look in the mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or