U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 8,022 times

Advertisements

I'm from Long Island and I went to the South and kept getting comments like " I wish I talked like you" and "You speak so clearly" The Southerners that say they hate the NY accent say it out of jealously. They are stuck with talking in slow motion pace, might as well start learning sign language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,024,722 times
What's with the "My accent is better than yours" "Everyone else is jealous" Seriously you guys sound pathetic. Who cares. Brag about something that you have actually accomplished. Your accent was given to you.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,761,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
What's with the "My accent is better than yours" "Everyone else is jealous" Seriously you guys sound pathetic. Who cares. Brag about something that you have actually accomplished. Your accent was given to you.

+1

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,045,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've traveled all over the country, and people always compliment me on my accent. They always ask me to say certain words, like coffee, dog, walk, etc.
My NY accent is slight. Tempered and filtered by 20 years in California, 4 years in West Virginia and 3 years in Pittsburgh. More than one person has told me it is a "charming" NY accent, maybe because of the West Virginia tinge.

Getting rid of the F'n this and F'n that was kind of difficult.

The worse accent I have ever heard is from one of my friends. A native Long Islander (south shore/jewish), who moved to Boston for 15 years and now lives in Philadelphia. He managed to retain and pick up the worse elements of each accent. If he wasn't so funny, he would be an embarrassment.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,140,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Take it from someone who has lived in 2 other place besides NYC metro, visited about 35 states and 5 different countries; never encountered anyone who teased my accent I'm proud of it.
Same here, even though my accent is like 2/3 NY & 1/3 Southern, I've never been teased because of my accent. I love da way I tawk, whereva I move imma always tawk like dis, unless I'm in a situation where I have to speak proper.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,175,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSoul View Post
I'm from Long Island and I went to the South and kept getting comments like " I wish I talked like you" and "You speak so clearly" The Southerners that say they hate the NY accent say it out of jealously. They are stuck with talking in slow motion pace, might as well start learning sign language.

You "went to the South"?

In other threads you claim to live in exurban Atlanta, where the libraries are so horrible.

Which is it?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:26 PM

26 posts, read 48,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Wrong, your accent is apart of who you are, your identity.

Being born in Florida, I could've easily picked up a Southern-ish accent, but I never identified with that culture, and I probably don't talk that different than a kid from the North.

It's apart of my identity, I'm not Southern, and I don't talk that way. I don't look down on someone for having a Southern accent though.

I've heard plenty of very pretty ones. It's just, you're kind of minimising the significance of the way you choose to express yourself with your voice.

I bet plenty of Southerners put on their accent more heavily than they would naturally, because that's how they identify themselves.

My friend is from Long Island, and his accent is as thick as it gets. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept it thick because it was apart of his personality and who he is.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,977,595 times
i used to love to hear the accent but now it doesn't do anything for me. There was an article in a magazine titled Brooklyn Bridge that explained how the Brooklyn accent developed. A lot of ethnic groups contributed to what it became. It was an interesting article----about 10 years ago.

I moved to Pittsburgh thinking I could pick up their accent and found out I couldn't. Kept my midwestern accent and didn't pick up a damn think. Pissed me off cause I wanted to go back to the midwest and show off my new accent, but there wasn't one.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,813,459 times
as someone who had a *very* strong NJ accent, I'm glad to be rid of it.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:08 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,736,331 times
It depends on the person to me. Some NE accents sound very exaggerated. Overall, I like the accents. However, my favorite accents are New Orleans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or