U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:50 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Take it from someone who has lived in 2 other place besides NYC metro, visited about 35 states and 5 different countries; never encountered anyone who teased my accent I'm proud of it.
Refer to previous post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Refer to previous post

It's because I probably sounded unlike anyone they've heard of. I highly doubt many people from NYC have been in their town. Just because I got a long look from this guy doesn't mean they didn't like the accent Maybe he liked me, who knows.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,934,538 times
Quote:
It's because I probably sounded unlike anyone they've heard of. I highly doubt many people from NYC have been in their town. Just because I got a long look from this guy doesn't mean they didn't like the accent Maybe he liked me, who knows.
OK, you just keep rationalizing if it makes you feel better.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,957,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Italian NY and Jewish NY, Black/Hispanic NY, and of course NJ too. However, much of that has also made it into the speech of the general population over generations.
Oh of course. I was just referring to Italians (forgetting to mention Jews and Irish) who made the NY/NJ accent famous.
Blacks and Latino's accents go more according to where they're are from.

A black person's accent from NYC and a black person's accent from Newark can be two very different accents. This is unlike an Italian/Jew from NYC/LI and an Italian/Jew from NNJ, where the two accents are harder to tell apart.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:18 AM

26 posts, read 48,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYorker4now View Post
My favorite is when people make 'You' plural ....... Yous
Ahh, whata matta witch youse guys? Hahah <333 New York, can't wait to visit Queens to look at which neighbourhood we're going to move to. BK and Manhattan are out of our budgets, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Apart from a few people, I dont think you really choose your accent. I barely have a Southern accent too, but I don't think I sat down one day and decided that I wasn't gonna have a Southern accent, it just happened. Mainly because I grew up in a military town where most people had a standard American accent.

But you totally missed the point of my post. I was addressing the people who were basically saying: "My accent is nice, everyone else is jealous. Their accent sucks" They sound like kids. Even if you do count it as an accomplishment to not have a Southern accent, you still sound silly bragging about it.
Okay yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

It is wrong when someone has a quaint Southern accent and they're looked down on because of stereotypes, even if they may be an intelligent, profound individual who just happened to be born in the South.

You do choose your accent a bit though. For example, in Florida schools, at least in my area towards the centre of the State, there's a divide between the transplants, kids who's parents moved from up North like me, and the kids who's parents are from down here.

They kind of half-choose, half-accept their accent in a way. It's like their community, the way their moms and pops speaks. My Dad's all like "Where's the cawwwfee", so I never developed anything close to the Southern accent that my friends have.

That's just my own opinion anyway, just from analysing what I've seen.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:18 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Only a few parts of New Jersey close to the city have an accent like NYC or LI. Jersey City, Newark, Bayonne, etc.

I grew up about 30 miles northwest of the city, and we don't drop "r's" or say "yous".

We do tawk and drink cawfee, though!

I've noticed that some people in south Jersey have an accent closer to Pennsylvania. You hear it in words like "hoome" and "phoone".

Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 PM

19 posts, read 36,882 times
Quote:
I've traveled all over the country, and people always compliment me on my accent. They always ask me to say certain words, like coffee, dog, walk, etc.

But according to southerners on CD, everyone hates the NYC accent, lol. I think it's a jealousy thing.
I agree completely. lmao.

I was always asked to pronounce those too while I was in Texas visiting someone.

"Cawfee" "Dawg" "Wawk"
"Dawter (Daughter)" "Chawklit" (Chocolate) etc

lol

Whenever I go to another state I feel like I'm a freaken celebrity. "WOAH YOURE FROM NEW YORK!?"

Old 12-21-2009, 03:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySammy View Post
I agree completely. lmao.

I was always asked to pronounce those too while I was in Texas visiting someone.

"Cawfee" "Dawg" "Wawk"
"Dawter (Daughter)" "Chawklit" (Chocolate) etc

lol

Whenever I go to another state I feel like I'm a freaken celebrity. "WOAH YOURE FROM NEW YORK!?"

Same here...I was in a small town outside Portland, Oregon last year. My friend took me to a bar to meet her parents. They were going around to their friends and telling them I'm from NY. They kept coming up to me to shake my hand and kept asking me about NY; as if it was some other alternate universe far away, lol. It was strange, but flattering. More and more people kept coming over to me saying how it's nice someone from such a big city came to visit Portland. They were all really friendly and welcoming. I never had to talk about my home city so much in one night as I did then, lol.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Im from Michigan so I know I dont know much about northeasterners but I cannot tell your accents apart. I hear people talking about brooklyn accents, New jersey ones but I cant tell them apart. I cant even tell the New Englanders from the New Yorkers. Out here we just call it all a north eastern accent.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM

303 posts, read 656,294 times
Not all NYC accents are cool. I hae Brooklyn accents. That accent is different from tghe rest of NYC, along with Italians accent of Jersey. I think its great we have our own accent because I say "dawg" n have that accent but the Brooklyn and Italien Jersey accent is on another level. But it is true people are just haters. Once they hear our voice they can't deny where were from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or