U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM
 
14 posts, read 11,033 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Yeah, you are in the minority on this one. Most people think the NY accent is annoying and sounds uneducated. According to only NY'ers, (who don't travel) the accent is ok but the rest of the country is laughing at it
You are wrong. not everyone laughs at a nyc accent or hates it. IMO anyone that makes fun of an accent or hates it is foolish and wrong and immature. It's not the person's fault he or she has an accent. you may not think it's a good accent ,but to ridiucle someone because of it or laught at them because they say 'tawk' is stupid. I don't have an accent (general english) but if i did, I would be mad if someone made fun of it. Machiavelli seems jealous of NYC (it is better than Houston and no i don't live anywhere near nyc) Most people on city data like NYC (even though i dont like that area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,758,301 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Not all NYC accents are cool. I hae Brooklyn accents. That accent is different from tghe rest of NYC, along with Italians accent of Jersey. I think its great we have our own accent because I say "dawg" n have that accent but the Brooklyn and Italien Jersey accent is on another level. But it is true people are just haters. Once they hear our voice they can't deny where were from
So then when NY'ers bash other accents (as they often do) they are haters as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajgk2009 View Post
You are wrong. not everyone laughs at a nyc accent or hates it. IMO anyone that makes fun of an accent or hates it is foolish and wrong and immature. It's not the person's fault he or she has an accent. you may not think it's a good accent ,but to ridiucle someone because of it or laught at them because they say 'tawk' is stupid. I don't have an accent (general english) but if i did, I would be mad if someone made fun of it. Machiavelli seems jealous of NYC (it is better than Houston and no i don't live anywhere near nyc) Most people on city data like NYC (even though i dont like that area)
Why would I be jealous of NYC? We can look forward for you saying these same things when someone mocks some other areas accent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosajgk2009 View Post
You are wrong. not everyone laughs at a nyc accent or hates it. IMO anyone that makes fun of an accent or hates it is foolish and wrong and immature. It's not the person's fault he or she has an accent. you may not think it's a good accent ,but to ridiucle someone because of it or laught at them because they say 'tawk' is stupid. I don't have an accent (general english) but if i did, I would be mad if someone made fun of it. Machiavelli seems jealous of NYC (it is better than Houston and no i don't live anywhere near nyc) Most people on city data like NYC (even though i dont like that area)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 06:50 AM
 
14,326 posts, read 15,146,163 times
Reputation: 8381
Jealousy over regional accents? Are you guys for real? What a bunch of high school Heathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
 
3,644 posts, read 9,008,917 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Same here...I was in a small town outside Portland, Oregon last year. My friend took me to a bar to meet her parents. They were going around to their friends and telling them I'm from NY. They kept coming up to me to shake my hand and kept asking me about NY; as if it was some other alternate universe far away, lol. It was strange, but flattering. More and more people kept coming over to me saying how it's nice someone from such a big city came to visit Portland. They were all really friendly and welcoming. I never had to talk about my home city so much in one night as I did then, lol.
I think you were just surprised because people outside of NYC are so friendly. It probably had nothing to do with your accent, they were just being nice and making you feel welcome. Maybe you haven't experienced people like this in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
 
14,326 posts, read 15,146,163 times
Reputation: 8381
If I had a choice between Nichole Kidman's accent in "Cold Mountain" or Marisa Tomei's in "My Cousin Vinny" I'd take Kidman's any day of the week.

I'd rather be gutshot than spend my life listening Tomei's character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,975,731 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Interesting that you say this

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Im from Michigan so I know I dont know much about northeasterners but I cannot tell your accents apart. I hear people talking about brooklyn accents, New jersey ones but I cant tell them apart. I cant even tell the New Englanders from the New Yorkers. Out here we just call it all a north eastern accent.
I have lived in Naples, Florida, for almost 3 years. The people here never comment on my accent. The majority of transplants here are from the MidWest. Maybe this is why? Only one woman has ever come up come up to me and said that I must be from NY. When I asked her why, she said she was from Long Island and recognized my accent. In fact two people I worked with last year (from California), had no idea I was from NY until I told them. They were surprised. Actually, what I hear most is that I talk too FAST. People have actually told me to slow down that they cannot understand what I have said.

Not everyone from this area sounds like Fran Drescher. Is that what other people expect? I have never said anything like "youse", or anything like that, in my life. When I was in school, the Nuns would have given me an F in English if I did. I have also worked as a corporate receptionist at a Fortune 500 headquarters in Manhattan. I don't they would have liked me speaking to the executives and clients like that either.

Anyway, whatever. When you think about it, EVERYONE has some kind of accent. What really is the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
eek
 
Location: Queens, NY
3,576 posts, read 6,657,817 times
Reputation: 1423
as a nyer, i cannot for the life of me figure out where ppl got this notion of a "brooklyn accent."
son, we (ppl from queens and brooklyn) live on the same island. we (nyers in general) live in a relatively small area (geography wise), and we're all next door neighbors. its not possible for us to have different accents, according to borough. we are not isolated.

period.

i'm speaking about natives, not your friend that just moved 5 years ago or your parents from pakistan or whatever. we sound the same. to out of staters, we sound the same. i promise you.
the only exception would be *some* ppl in say manhattan because of the makeup of manhattan (being full of ppl that aren't originally from ny). and thats still not all of manhattan (washington heights, inwood, harlem, etc.).

anyway, our accent is the best in the country. yeah, i said it. everyone loves it. i fully expect someone to disagree with me. cool. fine. if you, you meaning americans, didn't love it then you wouldn't imitate it and you wouldn't emulate us.

the world loves us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think you were just surprised because people outside of NYC are so friendly. It probably had nothing to do with your accent, they were just being nice and making you feel welcome. Maybe you haven't experienced people like this in NYC.
But if they were friendly they'd probably ask me about myself; like my family, what I like to do, etc. They always ask about NYC and talk about so and so who went there and did this and that, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,249,175 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have lived in Naples, Florida, for almost 3 years. The people here never comment on my accent. The majority of transplants here are from the MidWest. Maybe this is why? Only one woman has ever come up come up to me and said that I must be from NY. When I asked her why, she said she was from Long Island and recognized my accent. In fact two people I worked with last year (from California), had no idea I was from NY until I told them. They were surprised. Actually, what I hear most is that I talk too FAST. People have actually told me to slow down that they cannot understand what I have said.

Not everyone from this area sounds like Fran Drescher. Is that what other people expect? I have never said anything like "youse", or anything like that, in my life. When I was in school, the Nuns would have given me an F in English if I did. I have also worked as a corporate receptionist at a Fortune 500 headquarters in Manhattan. I don't they would have liked me speaking to the executives and clients like that either.

Anyway, whatever. When you think about it, EVERYONE has some kind of accent. What really is the big deal?
Usually people from Manhattan have more of a neutral accent. But you do have an accent mom, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top