Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times

Advertisements

Women from Toronto have the coolest accent (the men sound like Bob and Doug McKenzie)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It depends on the person to me. Some NE accents sound very exaggerated. Overall, I like the accents. However, my favorite accents are New Orleans!
I agree with you on the New Orleans accent. It seems southern with a bit on NY flair.

With regard to the NY/NJ accent, what most people that are not from the area don't understand is that the accent is much less pronounced than the stereotypical idea in their minds - think less Fran Drescher more Robert DiNiro.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
I love the NYC accent and am proud of mine. I HATE people who were born/raised in NY and try to sound as if they weren't, using those phony Connecticut accents. "Oh, would you like to go for a cup of caaahhhh-fee" or "I'm so thirsty, I'd love a bottle of wahhhh-ter".... PHONY, PHONY, PHONY!!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
its not my cup of tea

Old 12-20-2009, 03:45 PM

72 posts, read 213,911 times
My favorite is when people make 'You' plural ....... Yous

Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I agree with you on the New Orleans accent. It seems southern with a bit on NY flair.

With regard to the NY/NJ accent, what most people that are not from the area don't understand is that the accent is much less pronounced than the stereotypical idea in their minds - think less Fran Drescher more Robert DiNiro.
There is a subtle difference between the boroughs but probably only a native could tell. My husband is from Queens, like Drescher. I can notice a little difference in his speech from mine. I am from Manhattan, like DiNiro, but it isn't THAT different. I think she hypes it for the effect.

Generally speaking, all of us from this area (NYC/LI/NJ) sound alike. Another reason why I like going home.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There is a subtle difference between the boroughs but probably only a native could tell. My husband is from Queens, like Drescher. I can notice a little difference in his speech from mine. I am from Manhattan, like DiNiro, but it isn't THAT different. I think she hypes it for the effect.

Generally speaking, all of us from this area (NYC/LI/NJ) sound alike. Another reason why I like going home.
I agree.
My grandpa is from Brooklyn and My Grandma is from the Bronx and you can indeed tell the difference between the accents.
The Brooklyn accent is a lot more thick if you will, but the Bronx accent is more pronounced (If that makes sense )

Another accent that's very underrated is the Newark accent which actors like Joe Pesci has and James Gandolfini equipped for his main roll on "The Sopranos". (but the Newark accent is hard to find because the Italians left there A LONG time ago, but surrounding burbs like Belleville, Nutley, Lyndhurst, etc have very thick Jersey accents)

Old 12-20-2009, 04:48 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
Wrong, your accent is apart of who you are, your identity.

Being born in Florida, I could've easily picked up a Southern-ish accent, but I never identified with that culture, and I probably don't talk that different than a kid from the North.

It's apart of my identity, I'm not Southern, and I don't talk that way. I don't look down on someone for having a Southern accent though.

I've heard plenty of very pretty ones. It's just, you're kind of minimising the significance of the way you choose to express yourself with your voice.

I bet plenty of Southerners put on their accent more heavily than they would naturally, because that's how they identify themselves.

My friend is from Long Island, and his accent is as thick as it gets. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept it thick because it was apart of his personality and who he is.
Apart from a few people, I dont think you really choose your accent. I barely have a Southern accent too, but I don't think I sat down one day and decided that I wasn't gonna have a Southern accent, it just happened. Mainly because I grew up in a military town where most people had a standard American accent.

But you totally missed the point of my post. I was addressing the people who were basically saying: "My accent is nice, everyone else is jealous. Their accent sucks" They sound like kids. Even if you do count it as an accomplishment to not have a Southern accent, you still sound silly bragging about it.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default There is the ethncity factor too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I agree.
My grandpa is from Brooklyn and My Grandma is from the Bronx and you can indeed tell the difference between the accents.
The Brooklyn accent is a lot more thick if you will, but the Bronx accent is more pronounced (If that makes sense )

Another accent that's very underrated is the Newark accent which actors like Joe Pesci has and James Gandolfini equipped for his main roll on "The Sopranos". (but the Newark accent is hard to find because the Italians left there A LONG time ago, but surrounding burbs like Belleville, Nutley, Lyndhurst, etc have very thick Jersey accents)
Italian NY and Jewish NY, Black/Hispanic NY, and of course NJ too. However, much of that has also made it into the speech of the general population over generations.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've traveled all over the country, and people always compliment me on my accent. They always ask me to say certain words, like coffee, dog, walk, etc.

But according to southerners on CD, everyone hates the NYC accent, lol. I think it's a jealousy thing.
Or it could be that many people do hate it.

I am sure you remember the poll that compared southern to northern accent.

Selective memory must be helpful also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, I never experienced any real southern hospitality at all in Georgia. I drove through the state with some friends on my way to Florida. I drove through some pretty small towns on the way. I got some strange looks when walking into the gas stations and stores, I guess because of my thick accent and my NY-er ways, lol. I don't know, I guess we stand out in small, southern towns. I wasn't being rude or anything, I guess they could just tell I wasn't from around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.