U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 AM

38 posts, read 96,286 times

Advertisements

Try being a Confederate Civil Wa re-enactor and see how many people INSTANTLY label you as a racist. Talk about living with reverse racism! I am not a racist but I am proud to be Southern and I love the South! My family never owned slaves as far back as the early 1800's that I can find on mom or dad's side. When I was re-enacting (from 1985 to 2003), there were many times myself and my Confederate compatriots was automatically branded as racists. I was into re-enacting as a form of expression & honor to my relatives who died fightning for what they believed in...a better way to do things than the North was trying to impose.

Get this thought, there ARE southern black re-enactors,not simlpy as cooks or laborers. They carry weapons and shoot guns out in front too. There were southern black Confederates. There are books and even a film or two about them. VERY INTERESTING reading and films! The liberal media doesn't present this because it goes against the tales they've told for years.

Oh, and out the millions of people in the South, less than 1% owned slaves. That's in "yall's" Library of Congress...written by the winners, not us.

Another thing, do some reading on just how "good and free' balcks had it up North. They had a terrible time not being segregated against and finding a job. They had it bad up North too, even after the War.

Stepping off my soapbox now......

Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,138,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1969 View Post
Try being a Confederate Civil Wa re-enactor and see how many people INSTANTLY label you as a racist. Talk about living with reverse racism! I am not a racist but I am proud to be Southern and I love the South! My family never owned slaves as far back as the early 1800's that I can find on mom or dad's side. When I was re-enacting (from 1985 to 2003), there were many times myself and my Confederate compatriots was automatically branded as racists. I was into re-enacting as a form of expression & honor to my relatives who died fightning for what they believed in...a better way to do things than the North was trying to impose.

Get this thought, there ARE southern black re-enactors,not simlpy as cooks or laborers. They carry weapons and shoot guns out in front too. There were southern black Confederates. There are books and even a film or two about them. VERY INTERESTING reading and films! The liberal media doesn't present this because it goes against the tales they've told for years.

Oh, and out the millions of people in the South, less than 1% owned slaves. That's in "yall's" Library of Congress...written by the winners, not us.

Another thing, do some reading on just how "good and free' balcks had it up North. They had a terrible time not being segregated against and finding a job. They had it bad up North too, even after the War.

Stepping off my soapbox now......
I see how you feel, but why would they label a Confederate re-enactor as a racist? I mean, it's just a real life replay of the past (for a hobby no less).

Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,210,316 times
It isn't just the South, the media portrays us Midwesterners as simple-minded farmers as well. Quite unfairly, I might add, as this country is vast and diverse and each region has its positive and negative attributes.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,210,316 times
Quote:
That's in "yall's" Library of Congress...written by the winners, not us
Quote:
Why is it that people from the South unnecessarily bring up the Civil War?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,118,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Why is it that people from the South unnecessarily bring up the Civil War?
Why is is that people from the North unnecessarily bring up slavery and unfair treatment of African Americans? Every bit of it happened in the North as well. Talk about hypocrisy.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,242,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
I agree with you, but it goes to another level with the South. Why do you think there are new threads on City Data almost weekly asking if it's safe for African American people to visit the South?

It's because of the media portrayal of the South, and some people don't know better.
Actually, many times it's because Black Southerners tell people from other regions it's not always safe or a good place to be. There have been numerous times I've worked with people who were Black who came here from the West Coast or the New England (or more foreign areas/countries/etc) who told me they had relatives and/or close friends who lived in the South who "told them scary stories about the place". I've never once had any of these folks say, "I saw the Dukes of Hazard movie and it made me afraid to come there". So, many times it's people someone actually KNOWS who lives in that area that for whatever reason they may only know, tells some tall tales that put the fear of geezus in those who may be coming here to visit or work.

That answers the observation that it's ONLY the media that perpetuates stereotypes about the South (which it isn't - sometimes it's just people who do it by word-of-mouth). Another thing to keep in mind is that each region is large and varied on their own. You might very well indeed run into an area in lower Alabama that are filled with uneducated rednecks - they DO exist somewhere, but then go to Birmingham or Atlanta and you'd hardly know you're in the South when you're eating out at a coffee house or visiting a museum. Hollywood is never going to display the "normal" people of any region when doing certain types of movies (comedy / horror) - they're always going to pick the stand-out stereotypes.

Another observation by someone who lives here (me): Over the years, stereotypes get attention based on how visible the small number of real-life examples are. For instance, when/if you really DO meet a vegetarian mellow surfer dude, he's most likely going to be laid back and even though ditzy, relatively quiet. If you really do meet a reclusive Montana separatist type person, chances are they've enclosed their "compound" with a chain link fence and avoid people altogether. These folks don't make waves. Go to parts of the deep South however, and you might well find three guys with mullets and a confederate flag driving a pickup truck down the road at 75mph screaming "yeeehawww!!!" really loud, causing every news station camera to take aim in their direction during the police chase. Have someone scream out during a Presidential address on tv, and poof - it was a politician from a Southern state. etc etc. In other words, Southerners can be VERY outwardly vocal when they get riled up, and being that vocal, you draw more attention to yourself, and hence, over time will draw more ridicule over it.

It doesn't mean everyone in that area is the stereotype (as it's actually pretty rare overall) - it just means that because those who are, are so much more vocal and in your face with it, it'll cause the media/Hollywood types to use that for ammo in a story/movie more.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:18 PM

2,705 posts, read 7,296,431 times
Quote:
I'll bite.

I used to be a radio personality, and being around the business I can tell you it's not that Southern people are not TV news hosts, because there are plenty out there, you just don't realize it. You are trained to get rid of regional accents to appeal to the masses. When is the last time you heard a news reporter with a New Jersey accent?

The media dramatizes people and events in order to sell a product, and if people are gullible enough to believe everything they see in the movies then tell me who the stupid ones are.
I think you're referring to a NY accent. There are actually plenty of reporters with a NJ accent...the average NJ resident does not have a very detectable accent at all.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:46 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,118,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I think you're referring to a NY accent. There are actually plenty of reporters with a NJ accent...the average NJ resident does not have a very detectable accent at all.
I stand corrected. After further research it appears that some people from New Jersey have a New York accent, but many do not.

My point still stands though, that you don't really hear TV reporters with regional accents because it is trained out of them.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM

56,161 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. After further research it appears that some people from New Jersey have a New York accent, but many do not.

My point still stands though, that you don't really hear TV reporters with regional accents because it is trained out of them.
I sometimes can hear anchorpersons say the news is coming up at ten o'clock and the "ten" still bears that sound of being more like "tin" used in parts of the midwest and south.

It must be a difficult pronounciation to overcome.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:49 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,968,158 times
Everything portrayed in the media gains negative stereotypes somehow. The best thing to do is realize that the media is not always reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or