U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:15 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,249,598 times

Advertisements

Replace the term "southern people" with "simple folk" or "country folks" regardless of where they're from and the stereotypes will still apply (look at how New Englanders are portrayed with the "yup, ya can't get thay-ah from he-uh"). Personally, none of this bothers me.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM

14,969 posts, read 31,357,878 times
I really don't think most of my fellow Southerners care what people in other parts of the country think. Do people in the northeast care what Southerners think about them? I doubt it. Why worry about crap like that?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Everything portrayed in the media gains negative stereotypes somehow. The best thing to do is realize that the media is not always reality.
You also have to realize that many of us forget just how large our own Country really is. We share the same language, Government, currency, and TV stations, so we tend to be under the impression that the mindset of all Americans are at least similar. But we're talking about an area that's over 3000 miles wide - travel that distance in Europe and you'll go through a dozen different languages and cultures, easily.

Example: This is a brand new local news headline from North Georgia today... Murder Suspect Kin To Victim In Three Different Ways - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=138956&catid=40 - broken link) . Ok, let's say I lived in Seattle or Southern California and had never been to the East Coast, much less the South. Now, we can't blame the media for this story... they didn't make it up. This actually happened, and yep, these people are real. Now, I MIGHT develop an impression of an area based on stuff like this if I had never been to that region of the country. Things like this happen elsewhere for sure, but perhaps in other regions there's more important things to worry about. The media could have ignored the story due to the odd family relationships, but there was murder involved, so it IS news... just weird news. So we can blame the media for some stuff - but sometimes it's simply the nuts who commit the crimes that make an area look bad, too.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:22 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,226,890 times
Added: Worthy of note that sometimes it's the entertainment industry who does this, but the people who do are FROM the South. So you have to look at it two ways - is it slander, or, are they simply laughing at themselves and having fun?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,554,605 times
by the way, a woman with a southern accent can be REALLY really sexy.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,595,623 times
bek a whole lota people like to believe that about southern people.
most of it racism flying under radar.
the south has long been our source of soldiers and police officers.
as the south changes --this is fading. our soldiers and police used to be smith jones and johnson now its gomez, lopez and rodriguez.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM

23,056 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I really don't think most of my fellow Southerners care what people in other parts of the country think. Do people in the northeast care what Southerners think about them? I doubt it. Why worry about crap like that?
Exactly. The point is that most of us are proud of our heritage and are bemused by outsiders' attitudes, if anything.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:55 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSoul View Post
They make comedy movies about them and horror movies, like Devil's Rejects (which is a good movie, I must admit), but they won't put them as TV news host, a great majority of them are not from the South. Even when Laura Bush gave speeches with her Southern accent, the crowd laughed at her and then she became embarrassed. I've seen several movie scenes of one of them sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch, staring into the sky even after a person approaches him and asks him a question, it takes a long time for him to respond and when he does, it's like he has a bird stare look with crossed eyes that gives you the impression that he is confused, lost, unaware of his surroundings. Yeah, it might be true that some of them are like that, but maybe they should try to change their characters a little more to make them seem more normal.
I don't personally know anyone that laughs or laughed at the southern accent and I'm from New England. We do get a chuckle out of the heavy Boston accent found in much of New England and then the accents found on Long Island and in most of the NYC metro area.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM

23,056 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSoul View Post
They make comedy movies about them and horror movies, like Devil's Rejects (which is a good movie, I must admit), but they won't put them as TV news host, a great majority of them are not from the South.
Guess again.

Diane Sawyer b. Glasgow, KY
Katie Couric b. Arlington VA
Shepard Smith b. Holly Springs, MS
E. D. Hill b. Dripping Springs, TX
Deborah Norville b. Dalton, GA
Max Robinson b. Richmond VA
Howard K. Smith b. Ferriday, LA
David Brinkley b. Wilmington, NC
Dan Rather b. Wharton, TX
Bob Scheiffer b. Austin, TX
Tony Snow b. Berea, KY
Campbell Brown b. Ferriday, LA

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,114,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Added: Worthy of note that sometimes it's the entertainment industry who does this, but the people who do are FROM the South. So you have to look at it two ways - is it slander, or, are they simply laughing at themselves and having fun?

Sometimes they are from the South, but often times they are not. My problem is not with the Southerner who pokes fun at himself, but the rest of the media who portrays us in an evil light based on our past... the same past the rest of the country has shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or