U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM
 
71 posts, read 60,460 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Guess again.

Diane Sawyer b. Glasgow, KY
Katie Couric b. Arlington VA
Shepard Smith b. Holly Springs, MS
E. D. Hill b. Dripping Springs, TX
Deborah Norville b. Dalton, GA
Max Robinson b. Richmond VA
Howard K. Smith b. Ferriday, LA
David Brinkley b. Wilmington, NC
Dan Rather b. Wharton, TX
Bob Scheiffer b. Austin, TX
Tony Snow b. Berea, KY
Campbell Brown b. Ferriday, LA
That is a very short list, but I see your point.

People from the south are hired in news/media, but these people have very little southern accents.

For instance, I watch ESPN........ I follow all four major sports and can't think of one newscaster with a southern accent. However, a guy was just hired and I knew right away he was from NY.

His name is Adam Schefftler and he covers the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9pmm2AKa1Q

 
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
That is a very short list, but I see your point.

People from the south are hired in news/media, but these people have very little southern accents.

For instance, I watch ESPN........ I follow all four major sports and can't think of one newscaster with a southern accent. However, a guy was just hired and I knew right away he was from NY.

His name is Adam Schefftler and he covers the NFL.
There are several ESPN shows that feature people with southern accents. Of course they aren't heavily southern...accents are usually not noticable in the media.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Guess again.

Diane Sawyer b. Glasgow, KY
Katie Couric b. Arlington VA
Shepard Smith b. Holly Springs, MS
E. D. Hill b. Dripping Springs, TX
Deborah Norville b. Dalton, GA
Max Robinson b. Richmond VA
Howard K. Smith b. Ferriday, LA
David Brinkley b. Wilmington, NC
Dan Rather b. Wharton, TX
Bob Scheiffer b. Austin, TX
Tony Snow b. Berea, KY
Campbell Brown b. Ferriday, LA
Don't forget Jim Lehrer (or as he pronounces it, Lare-uh) from TX, Steven Colbet from SC (OK, so it's not really the news!) and radio personalities Carl Cassel from NC, Bob Edwards from KY and Cokey Roberts from LA.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM
 
71 posts, read 60,460 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are several ESPN shows that feature people with southern accents. Of course they aren't heavily southern...accents are usually not noticable in the media.
EXACTLY. People hired from the south have more of a neutral accent or mildly southern.

Whereas, northern accents are more portrayed on TV.

Also, there are several people with southern accents on ESPN? Care to name them because I can't think of any.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,513,072 times
Reputation: 4055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I see how you feel, but why would they label a Confederate re-enactor as a racist? I mean, it's just a real life replay of the past (for a hobby no less).
You should see what happens to the British in the reenactment of the "Shot Heard Round the World" on Patriots Day in Lexington, MA. Everyone starts screaming "Loyalist Redcoats!", then we tar-and-feather those SOBs and run them out of town!

Anyway, stereotypes aren't so bad...obviously there's plenty of sleepy Southerners in rocking chairs, drinking out of big jugs marked "XXX" but there's obviously some normal people
 
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,073 posts, read 2,117,706 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
You should see what happens to the British in the reenactment of the "Shot Heard Round the World" on Patriots Day in Lexington, MA. Everyone starts screaming "Loyalist Redcoats!", then we tar-and-feather those SOBs and run them out of town!

Anyway, stereotypes aren't so bad...obviously there's plenty of sleepy Southerners in rocking chairs, drinking out of big jugs marked "XXX" but there's obviously some normal people
LOL. In all my 35 years in the South, I have yet to see someone drink out of a jug marked "XXX". Drinking from the porn jug, i like it.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,123,607 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
LOL. In all my 35 years in the South, I have yet to see someone drink out of a jug marked "XXX". Drinking from the porn jug, i like it.

LOL Good post!

I started to say, some of those yankee stereotypes about the South I actually wish I was more a part of.

I CAN guaran-DAM-tee I would rather drink from the XXX corn-jug and eat grits and fried chicken with them folks -- real people -- than prissy sip wine or sample quiche with the Fifth Avenue and/or Haight-Ashbury crowd, any day of the week!
 
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
1,073 posts, read 2,117,706 times
Reputation: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Good post!

I started to say, some of those yankee stereotypes about the South I actually wish I was more a part of.

I CAN guaran-DAM-tee I would rather drink from the XXX corn-jug and eat grits and fried chicken with them folks -- real people -- than prissy sip wine or sample quiche with the Fifth Avenue and/or Haight-Ashbury crowd, any day of the week!
Exactly TexasReb. What is wrong with drinking from a jug if that's what you want to do? I don't care much for alcohol, but I drink sweet tea from a mason jar... might just go get me a jug to drink it out of now. Give me real people anyday over rich, arrogant socialites.

Good post.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
Reputation: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
EXACTLY. People hired from the south have more of a neutral accent or mildly southern.

Whereas, northern accents are more portrayed on TV.

Also, there are several people with southern accents on ESPN? Care to name them because I can't think of any.
We aren't in agreement...when I stated "accents are usually not noticable in the media" I was talking about any accents - not just southern ones. I don't see any noticable accents being common in national media.

I would have to watch a few hours of ESPN to come up with names...I won't do that just to prove you wrong. By the way, I'm not talking about the stereotypical heavy-country-southern accent, but about a normal southern accent. There's a big difference.
 
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Floribama
15,032 posts, read 31,417,551 times
Reputation: 13842
Most newscasters have a very bland neutral accent, no flavor to their voice at all. It's like listening to the automated voice on my answering machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top