U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,989,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I used to take that same approach and gentle admonition to the audience you speak to, Jhadorn.

That is, trying to reason with the people who will forever be stuck in the mindset that the South is a horrid netherworld of first cousin marriages, toothless backwood freaks, and Tobacco Road.

The older I get though? The more I just feel like telling 'em to kiss my Texas Scots-Irish Southern a$$ and be done with it.

The only difference in the South and our past as concerns racial problems is that we were just much less hypocritical about it all...
You know what's really interesting? I have something to say about what you brought up. I'm not really into northerners vs. southerners because it doesn't bother be that much, I just dislike how everyone views the south horribly, but you made me think of something.

I remember reading an article/interview a few years ago talking about these southern white women and their childhoods in the 1930s. I remember them saying that it wasn't uncommon to see blacks and they were very polite with them. Then I remember one woman said that she thought the northerners were hypocrites. She said that they beat down the southerners for not being accepting towards blacks(and I suppose other ethnic peoples, they just mentioned blacks), yet they wouldn't even eat at a table next to them.

Now that doesn't necessarily have to go with today's views, but I just thought that my memory was interesting. Got triggered by the "South" and "hypocritical" I guess lol.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 AM

71 posts, read 60,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL well, sorry, but I didn't have time to research the origins of every single talking head in media...I'm sure the list is much longer than the one I presented. My point was in response to the OP's assertion that there are few Southerners to be found in the media; I presented a list of Southerners that happened to be very big players in the industry over the last 50 years.
I don't think many people are aware of how many Southerners there are on television; I think that is because seeing their accents as a liability, they work very hard to eradicate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
How are we disagreeing? Unless I'm missing something, we both seem to be saying the same thing.
HAHA! Maybe I am not being clear enough. Look at the part in bold that i highlighted.

IMO, there are many southerners to be found in the media. Listeners just don't know it because they don't carry the accent with them.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
We aren't in agreement...when I stated "accents are usually not noticable in the media" I was talking about any accents - not just southern ones. I don't see any noticable accents being common in national media.

I would have to watch a few hours of ESPN to come up with names...I won't do that just to prove you wrong. By the way, I'm not talking about the stereotypical heavy-country-southern accent, but about a normal southern accent. There's a big difference.
So, you would have to watch several hours of ESPN to prove me wrong, yet you are trying to tell me now that there are several southern accents on ESPN.

LOL.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,241,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Rural California isn't any better than the "old South"...keep that in mind as you're ragging on the South.
You are right actually. Nearly all the "farm" counties in the Central Valley vote Republican. What is it about rural people that make them so conservative & anti-future?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are right actually. Nearly all the "farm" counties in the Central Valley vote Republican. What is it about rural people that make them so conservative & anti-future?
I see it differently. I grew up in Atlanta and vote republican.

Many people in big cities believe that democrats are anti-future.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Quote:
LOL Good post!

I started to say, some of those yankee stereotypes about the South I actually wish I was more a part of.

I CAN guaran-DAM-tee I would rather drink from the XXX corn-jug and eat grits and fried chicken with them folks -- real people -- than prissy sip wine or sample quiche with the Fifth Avenue and/or Haight-Ashbury crowd, any day of the week!
How bout the hillbillies from Deliverance? I'll take the wine-sippers and quiche-eaters, thanks!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How bout the hillbillies from Deliverance? I'll take the wine-sippers and quiche-eaters, thanks!

*grins*

Oh c'mon...you got better sense than that, Ben Around! I've read enough of your posts before to know you know better than this! You are an intelligent feller!

The hillbillies from Deliverance were a Hollywood creation for shocking dramatic effect.

On the other hand, the wine-sippy and endive salad and quiche eaters of Fifth Avenue are real. And to carry it further, don't probably have enough common sense to know how to pour the same wine out of the proverbial boot.

If there was ever a REAL catastrophe in the country, then them people would BEG to be around those of us who know how to shoot a gun and skin a buck and run a trot-line.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM

821 posts, read 1,254,660 times
Quote:
*grins*

Oh c'mon...you got better sense than that, Ben Around! I've read enough of your posts before to know you know better than this! You are an intelligent feller!

The hillbillies from Deliverance were a Hollywood creation for shocking dramatic effect.

On the other hand, the wine-sippy and endive salad and quiche eaters of Fifth Avenue are real. And to carry it further, don't probably have enough common sense to know how to pour the same wine out of the proverbial boot.

If there was ever a REAL catastrophe in the country, then them people would BEG to be around those of us who know how to shoot a gun and skin a buck and run a trot-line.
If I'm correct, I read that the original story did not contain all of that sadistic stuff. In fact, the "hillbillies" they encountered are nothing like the ones portrayed in the movie.

Now every rural mountain area, especially in the Appalachians, have that "Deliverance" factor.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,265,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
Really? Do these sound "watered down" to you?

Those 3 don't sound too water down to me.
Perhaps you need to come listen to the people of Maine and rural New England speak- their accents are MUCH thicker than the examples you shared... they don't have "r"'s at the end of the word, and sometimes not when it occurs in the middle of a word... I couldn't find any examples of newscasters speaking in a Maine accent, but these are good examples of what it would sound like... (these would be similar to the true Southern accents that you are looking for- used by the common people and not watered down)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VE2f-dg7qI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGf77t9hRA
(Bonus on this one- that's MY hometown in the footage..and my dad's boat pops up there a few times, too...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhK-dadngtM

Maine's comedian Bob Marley (Language Warning On This One... but he nails the accent perfectly...because it's his REAL accent!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPbhTe3Ud8

I challenge you to share with me ANY newscaster that you have EVER heard that has a real Maine accent... but I don't think you'll find one.

And BTW- Long Island isn't even CLOSE to being part of New England.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Bla bla . . .

Stay on topic & quit provoking, desert kid.

Does it bother you that all the population centers in the U.S. vote the exact opposite of you? The rural South is fine so long as they don't call the shots. The quarterback has be to smart in order for the team to win!
Hey I was just giving him a heads up, but whatever. It really does not bother me that larger cities vote opposite of me (some cities may be an exception) because for one I don't live there and I really don't care. It's just south-bashers can't see the whole picture and see what is wrong in their assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or