U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
 
71 posts, read 13,757 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Perhaps you need to come listen to the people of Maine and rural New England speak- their accents are MUCH thicker than the examples you shared... they don't have "r"'s at the end of the word, and sometimes not when it occurs in the middle of a word... I couldn't find any examples of newscasters speaking in a Maine accent, but these are good examples of what it would sound like... (these would be similar to the true Southern accents that you are looking for- used by the common people and not watered down)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VE2f-dg7qI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPGf77t9hRA
(Bonus on this one- that's MY hometown in the footage..and my dad's boat pops up there a few times, too...)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhK-dadngtM

Maine's comedian Bob Marley (Language Warning On This One... but he nails the accent perfectly...because it's his REAL accent!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPbhTe3Ud8

I challenge you to share with me ANY newscaster that you have EVER heard that has a real Maine accent... but I don't think you'll find one.

And BTW- Long Island isn't even CLOSE to being part of New England.
Did I ever say that there are numerous sportscasters from Maine on televeision/media? No, I did not.

Did I ever say that Long Island was apart of New England? No, I did not.

Please, stop putting words into my mouth.

 
Old 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,843 posts, read 3,774,438 times
Reputation: 2399
I apologize- I thought the inclusion of the video that supposedly showed a Long Island accent was in reply to my saying that genuine New England accents were ALSO not featured on national newscasts/coverage. However, I would also disagree that the Long Island accent in that video was not "watered down"- I think of the strongest Long Island accent being more like the one that is spoken in Montauk (or MwonTwauk...as the case may be). As well with the example of a Boston accent- the one you shared is not what I would consider to be a hard-core (or hahd co'ah) Boston accent.

I don't think any of the prominent accents in the US are really showcased in the media, and I don't think it has anything to do with people being biased against the southern accents as the OP alluded to, because other regional accents are equally absent. I would think this has a lot to do with the fact that most reporters and others in the communication/public speaking fields are taught during college (or during job training) how to make their regional accents less prominent- proper pronunciation, word spacing and diction... in order to make them more appealing to the general public. It's not an anti-South thing, IMO.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
 
5,338 posts, read 4,618,280 times
Reputation: 4730
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I apologize- I thought the inclusion of the video that supposedly showed a Long Island accent was in reply to my saying that genuine New England accents were ALSO not featured on national newscasts/coverage. However, I would also disagree that the Long Island accent in that video was not "watered down"- I think of the strongest Long Island accent being more like the one that is spoken in Montauk (or MwonTwauk...as the case may be). As well with the example of a Boston accent- the one you shared is not what I would consider to be a hard-core (or hahd co'ah) Boston accent.

I don't think any of the prominent accents in the US are really showcased in the media, and I don't think it has anything to do with people being biased against the southern accents as the OP alluded to, because other regional accents are equally absent. I would think this has a lot to do with the fact that most reporters and others in the communication/public speaking fields are taught during college (or during job training) how to make their regional accents less prominent- proper pronunciation, word spacing and diction... in order to make them more appealing to the general public. It's not an anti-South thing, IMO.
Is Tim Sample still doing his "Postcard from Maine" on "Sunday Morning" on CBS? His segment used to alternate with a "Postcard from Nebraska" with another host.

I have to say that his accent seems to have become more pronounced over the years.

Maine--"You cahhnt get theeah from heaah"...
 
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM
 
Location: West Seattle, WA
12,887 posts, read 19,624,530 times
Reputation: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
HAHA! Maybe I am not being clear enough. Look at the part in bold that i highlighted.

IMO, there are many southerners to be found in the media. Listeners just don't know it because they don't carry the accent with them.
I believe that is exactly what I've been saying. You are misreading my statement.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,843 posts, read 3,774,438 times
Reputation: 2399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Is Tim Sample still doing his "Postcard from Maine" on "Sunday Morning" on CBS? His segment used to alternate with a "Postcard from Nebraska" with another host.

I have to say that his accent seems to have become more pronounced over the years.

Maine--"You cahhnt get theeah from heaah"...
I don't think they are still filming them, but they are on youtube!
His on-stage accent is different than his regular one (he uses r's!), though the on-stage one is pretty dead on for the accent in some areas of Maine.
 
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 12 days ago)
 
9,823 posts, read 11,349,343 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Ya know what? Might feel good to take your approach for a little bit. To my intended audience of South bashers, kiss my Swiss/German/Choctaw Southern a$$.
LMAO There ya go, my friend! Do you still have a radio show? If so, I think I would enjoy listening to it!
 
Old 12-31-2009, 11:56 PM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 12 days ago)
 
9,823 posts, read 11,349,343 times
Reputation: 5054
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
If I'm correct, I read that the original story did not contain all of that sadistic stuff. In fact, the "hillbillies" they encountered are nothing like the ones portrayed in the movie.

Now every rural mountain area, especially in the Appalachians, have that "Deliverance" factor.
Interesting stuff, tallydude! I haven't read the book itself, but don't doubt in the least what you say. Some of those novels which were made into movies in the late 60's to early '70's tended to take a very "anti-establishment" angle...especially when it came to the South.

Although it has nothing to do with the South per se, a good example is "Little Big Man." The novel itself was a pretty good -- and fair -- presentation of how the Native-American and "White" culture were not so much intrinsically hostile to each other, but just that they were two incompatible ways of life.

On the other hand, the movie (starring Dustin Hoffman) almost went to the point of making the "white guys" the "bad guys" to the point of it becoming a parody of itself!

And just to mention, I have some "Indian" (American sense) blood in me. One wouldn't probably notice it with my blond hair and blue eyes...but two of my great grandmothers (as best we can trace) were at least an eighth Native American (one Commanche, the other Cherokee), and I am proud of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top