Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartSoul View Post
They make comedy movies about them and horror movies, like Devil's Rejects (which is a good movie, I must admit), but they won't put them as TV news host, a great majority of them are not from the South. Even when Laura Bush gave speeches with her Southern accent, the crowd laughed at her and then she became embarrassed. I've seen several movie scenes of one of them sitting on a rocking chair on his front porch, staring into the sky even after a person approaches him and asks him a question, it takes a long time for him to respond and when he does, it's like he has a bird stare look with crossed eyes that gives you the impression that he is confused, lost, unaware of his surroundings. Yeah, it might be true that some of them are like that, but maybe they should try to change their characters a little more to make them seem more normal.

It doesn't bother me. I make fun of other people pretty severely, so I have no room to talk. Besides, a lot of the stereotypes are true. And funny. And exploitable.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantabuckhead View Post
That is a very short list, but I see your point.
LOL well, sorry, but I didn't have time to research the origins of every single talking head in media...I'm sure the list is much longer than the one I presented. My point was in response to the OP's assertion that there are few Southerners to be found in the media; I presented a list of Southerners that happened to be very big players in the industry over the last 50 years.
I don't think many people are aware of how many Southerners there are on television; I think that is because seeing their accents as a liability, they work very hard to eradicate it.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,115 times
Quote:
EXACTLY. People hired from the south have more of a neutral accent or mildly southern.

Whereas, northern accents are more portrayed on TV.

Also, there are several people with southern accents on ESPN? Care to name them because I can't think of any.

And those northern accents you describe are ALSO a watered-down version of the originals... modified to please the general viewing audience. When's the last time you ever heard a newscaster (or anyone else for that matter) with a thick Maine accent? Hmmm, let me think ....... ...... .......... ............ ............. ............ ......... ....... oh yeah- NEVER.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Oh right, all liberals are the most progressive folks on the planet. I think not...some of the most intolerant folks I've ever met are extremist Dems.
I totally agree, my friend. I have never had a single experience in my life that disputed the observations that my own daddy and grandfathers passed on to me.

To wit: The most intolerant and hateful and predjudiced people in the world are usually those who make a pompous and self-righteous point claiming not to be.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM

71 posts, read 80,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL well, sorry, but I didn't have time to research the origins of every single talking head in media...I'm sure the list is much longer than the one I presented. My point was in response to the OP's assertion that there are few Southerners to be found in the media; I presented a list of Southerners that happened to be very big players in the industry over the last 50 years.
I don't think many people are aware of how many Southerners there are on television; I think that is because seeing their accents as a liability, they work very hard to eradicate it.
I guess that is where we disagree somewhat. I see southerners in the media all the time as where they grew up, they just don't have the accent to go along with it. This person is the perfect example, Lee Corso is from Florida.

The person in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ9kBo59Avo

Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 AM

71 posts, read 80,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
And those northern accents you describe are ALSO a watered-down version of the originals... modified to please the general viewing audience. When's the last time you ever heard a newscaster (or anyone else for that matter) with a thick Maine accent? Hmmm, let me think ....... ...... .......... ............ ............. ............ ......... ....... oh yeah- NEVER.
Really? Do these sound "watered down" to you?

Jackie Macmullen - Boston/New England

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-_DxYgRjY

Chris Berman - Connecticut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0q4oibfs9g

Adam Scheftler - Long Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9pmm2AKa1Q

Those 3 don't sound too water down to me.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
I guess that is where we disagree somewhat. I see southerners in the media all the time as where they grew up, they just don't have the accent to go along with it. This person is the perfect example, Lee Corso is from Florida.
How are we disagreeing? Unless I'm missing something, we both seem to be saying the same thing.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:21 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Really? Do these sound "watered down" to you?

Those 3 don't sound too water down to me.
To quote an anonymous source...that's a very short list.

I think most everyone seems to be in disagreement with your assessment of accents in the media. I personally don't hear many accents at all, but when I do hear them they aren't more from one region than another. And yes, there are southern accents on ESPN - whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I totally agree, my friend. I have never had a single experience in my life that disputed the observations that my own daddy and grandfathers passed on to me.

To wit: The most intolerant and hateful and predjudiced people in the world are usually those who make a pompous and self-righteous point claiming not to be.
Got a point. I always said to myself that people who say others are so intolerant and close-minded are actually acting the exact same way by not moving on from it. If that makes sense lol.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Just because someone is from the rural South doesn't make them old south or ignorant. I was born and raised in rural Mississippi, and believe in equality regardless of race or religion, and my views are more Libertarian in nature. I don't judge people or make fun of people who are different, because I realize there are many different people and cultures in the world. If more people felt this way, maybe this thread wouldn't exist.

Racism and intolerance exist everywhere, but don't judge an entire region or group of people based on a few.
I used to take that same approach and gentle admonition to the audience you speak to, Jhadorn.

That is, trying to reason with the people who will forever be stuck in the mindset that the South is a horrid netherworld of first cousin marriages, toothless backwood freaks, and Tobacco Road.

The older I get though? The more I just feel like telling 'em to kiss my Texas Scots-Irish Southern a$$ and be done with it.

The only difference in the South and our past as concerns racial problems is that we were just much less hypocritical about it all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.