U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,710,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Are you for real? Somehow, I don't think so!
Yeah. There's a temple right near Rodeo Drive. I've gone past it a few times.

I'm accustomed to seeing Chasidic Jews, but I was a little unnerved when I walked into a really good deli and saw nothing but Chasidic jews. I mean it was close to lunch hour, and here I was, tall blond shiksa in skirt and heels vs. very strict traditionally dressed men

Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 AM

26 posts, read 48,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Depends on what you expected vs. what you saw/experienced, I guess. I can accept your opinion. However, from my perspective, LA is a bit underrated. It's a very unique place in the US, and stands apart from cities like Chicago, NYC, London, and other such places. I can't emphasize that enough.

I don't think LA is missing anything, because everything is already here.
LA has everything? How about the fact that driving through a city sucks, and going through traffic is hell, and London, New York, and Chicago to a somewhat lesser extent all have extremely efficient public-transportation systems. Subways and trains are good for the environment, and they are heck of alot safer. More fun too as well. After driving in Florida for a few years, I can honestly say I'm tired of driving, interacting with other drivers, parking, and all the other stress that goes along with it.

I remember riding the London Underground, possibly the coolest public-transportation system in the world. It gets you all over quick and efficiently, gives you picturesque views of the city, and is just overall a MUCH more pleasant experience than driving.

Public transportation seems like heaven, not needing to go to the car to go to the supermarket, being able to take a walk down the street or take a train. People don't die from subways or walking on the street. That's the awesomeness of the urban lifestyle.

LA is essentially a giant suburb, it's not really metropolitan or urban even compared to London, which is a quite green, open city for being so populated. You don't get that urban city feel in LA. Yes I walked around Hollywood, I saw downtown, I saw all the areas to see in LA. I was just shocked at how much charm and culture it lacked, even compared to a much smaller, less influential city Boston.

I just see everything wrong with America in LA. The superficiality, the plastic surgery everywhere, the botox, the fakeness, the plastic, it's all there festering before my eyes. Where's the REALNESS I get out of all the other major cities I've been to. LA just feels like a confused mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Are you for real? Somehow, I don't think so!
I have no reason or desire to lie. I'm not a troll, just giving my honest opinion.

It was probably in Beverly Hills, and suddenly in this really nice areas, they were just everywhere. Like 85-90% of the people I saw on the street were in all black and had the hats and the sideburns and everything.

I know a hasidic Jew when I see one.

I don't know, maybe therer was some event going on, but we were completely surrounded for like miles. I just wanted to get out of there. They are folks that keep to themself and don't really even interact with people outside of their community. Very insular. I'm not prejudiced, I just don't like being around insular people like that.

Last edited by Y_NLD; 12-21-2009 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,724,266 times
I was shocked at the potholes in the road. I wasn't expecting those. Even in Syracuse they fix potholes, why not L.A.?

Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,946,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
LA has everything? How about the fact that driving through a city sucks, and going through traffic is hell, and London, New York, and Chicago to a somewhat lesser extent all have extremely efficient public-transportation systems. Subways and trains are good for the environment, and they are heck of alot safer. More fun too as well. After driving in Florida for a few years, I can honestly say I'm tired of driving, interacting with other drivers, parking, and all the other stress that goes along with it.
Yeah, LA's public transportation system sucks. But with a bike, the subways, and budgeting yourself some time you can go anywhere without a car (except out of town and to Malibu) and get fit doing it. LA's public transit is certainly better than (anywhere in) Florida's.

Quote:
I remember riding the London Underground, possibly the coolest public-transportation system in the world. It gets you all over quick and efficiently, gives you picturesque views of the city, and is just overall a MUCH more pleasant experience than driving.
The Tube is better than driving but it is ridiculously overpriced. You have to take out a second mortgage on your home just to afford an Oyster card. The system is extensive, but it's also got stupid rubber tyres and is inferior to hard-rail systems like NYC's.

Quote:
LA is essentially a giant suburb, it's not really metropolitan or urban even compared to London, which is a quite green, open city for being so populated. You don't get that urban city feel in LA. Yes I walked around Hollywood, I saw downtown, I saw all the areas to see in LA. I was just shocked at how much charm and culture it lacked, even compared to a much smaller, less influential city Boston.
Hollywood is a dirty tourist trap until after 11PM, then the clubs start jumping. Downtown turns into 28 Hours Later after 5PM. LA does need more density.

Quote:
I just see everything wrong with America in LA. The superficiality, the plastic surgery everywhere, the botox, the fakeness, the plastic, it's all there festering before my eyes. Where's the REALNESS I get out of all the other major cities I've been to. LA just feels like a confused mess.
If you're looking for someone to hold your hand and tell you how to live, LA is a bad place for that. Most of the population does just that and lives an idiot fakey botoxy lifestyle. But because of that, there's plenty of niches for a savvy person to make a crapload of money and have a really good time/life.

Quote:
It was probably in Beverly Hills, and suddenly in this really nice areas, they were just everywhere. Like 85-90% of the people I saw on the street were in all black and had the hats and the sideburns and everything.

I know a hasidic Jew when I see one.

I don't know, maybe therer was some event going on, but we were completely surrounded for like miles. I just wanted to get out of there. They are folks that keep to themself and don't really even interact with people outside of their community. Very insular. I'm not prejudiced, I just don't like being around insular people like that.
I don't understand why you feel the need to judge other people's lifestyles. I've witnessed the same thing, but wasn't bothered by it at all. LA isn't really the best place for judgmental people who like to occupy themselves with other people's business (unless your a paparazzi) , but I'm surprised at the implication that London is.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,428,571 times
I don't have the patience to read this entire thread, because it's obviously filled with stereotypes not based on reality. But for everyone who insists on continually spouting of that "everyone in LA is so 'plastic' and superficial and plastic surgery is everywhere" nonsense, LA actually is really far down on the list of amount of plastic surgery per capita (and yes, those numbers do include cosmetic things like botox). The "everyone in LA is plastic" thing is a MYTH. Do try to remember that the celebrity LA you see on TV represents only a very small percentage of the population.

I actually think LA is one of the most "real" cities I've ever lived in, which is part of the reason I like it so much. Much of it is also pretty gritty and it's facing some major issues, but it also hasn't been gentrified into a playground for hipsters and yuppies. They're there too, of course, but there are also plenty of other people. That makes it very "real," for both good and bad. Places like Manhattan and most of San Francisco seem far less "real" in that sense, as the middle class (especially those with kids) can barely afford to live there anymore. I think the "charm" isn't in the physical appearance of LA (it can be kind of ugly in many areas) but in the extreme diversity, the energy found in many neighborhoods, the sheer variety of almost every kind (architecture, people, food, interests, etc.)

As far as lack of culture, that's the other charge I never get. There are major universities like UCLA, there are world-class museums and libraries (Getty, Huntington, etc.) plus many, many more smaller, less-known places, LA has one of the best central libraries that I've ever seen, etc. etc. If you can't find culture in LA you aren't looking very hard.

And as far as being "suburban," most suburbs don't have subways. It's not like NYC, but it's certainly not one big suburb, either, at least not when compared to the vast majority of American suburbs, or the majority of other American cities.

I agree with the poster who said LA is a great place to live, but a tough place to visit. It doesn't have the "charm" factor that many other major cities have, but it makes up for that with its many other opportunities. If you primarily want to stroll around attractive historic streets with upscale shops and quaint cafes you need to go elsewhere (although those can be found in LA, too), but if you take the time to really look beneath the surface and experience LA off the tourist track there's a lot there. It's not charming, but I think it is exciting in its own kind of grubby but very "real" (and sometimes disturbing) way.

(and as an aside, it is also entirely possible to live there without a car. The public transportation isn't as good as New York or London, obviously, but it's also better than most people realize).

Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,374,692 times
LA is one of my favorite cities. If anything I think it is vastly underrated.
I think the negatives: smog, traffic, gangs, etc. are too prevalent in culture where there are tons of great advantages LA has that are under-emphasized: cultural outlets, dining, real estate, the climate, beaches, the celebrity/entertainment factor, etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM

305 posts, read 685,790 times
[in retard voice]

L.A. is fake durrrr plastic breast botox durrrr tans and blond hair durrrr.

It's kind of hard to categorize a city of 4 million, a county of 10 million, and a metro area of 18 million people as fake unless you've managed to meet every single person which is impossible. In addition, to also imply that the same millions of people are the same is abysmally ignorant.

I honestly thought this thread was some sort of a joke until the OP stated he wasn't joking. I would suggest that you pray to whatever god you worship (if you're an atheist, go read some books) and ask for some intelligence because although I have seen it before, it is some of the most inane text I have ever seen. And I'm not going to engage any of it.

Godspeed, and I hope you find the path to enlightenment.

Last edited by A.J._in_L.A.; 12-21-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 AM

981 posts, read 634,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post

Public transportation seems like heaven, not needing to go to the car to go to the supermarket, being able to take a walk down the street or take a train. People don't die from subways or walking on the street. That's the awesomeness of the urban lifestyle.

Oh, god. You basically just whined to me about public transportation, and about the apparent superficiality of 18 million people.

Yes, I see now. This is a joke. A really, really bad joke. Good one.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
This forum has a single-city rule. You can't start a thread in General US to talk about a single city. Single city threads should be started in the state or local forum associated with that city.

Since this is a negative-premise thread, it's likely to cause problems if it's moved to the Los Angeles local forum, so it won't be moved there. That means it's a thread without a home. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.