U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 48,402 times

Advertisements

My half-sister lives there, and I've been there three times. I really just don't get it. I went all over the city. Santa Monica is nice, but the people seem soulless and superficial. Bunch of humongous guys pumped up on steroids, and botoxed up chicks.

It just looked like a city with a culture of absolute confusion, basically what I'm saying is, it is just kind of a city of trash and freaks. I met nice people there, but overall, it's just not a classy city, and I've been all over the World.

It didn't have any of the charm of cities I've been to like NY, Chicago, London, or Boston. It's just lacking a charm that a major city needs. I don't know how to describe it, but LA is kind of missing something.

Then it was all like "Oh let's go to the nice areas, see where the movie stars live", so I play along like a sport. We go through Bel-Air, and Beverly Hills, and suddenly there's Hasidic Jews EVERYWHERE.

I'm half-Jewish myself, and I'm not particularly religious, but this was just creepy, I'm sorry.

It's like, the city of some sort of Hollywood comedown, almost nightmarish in a way. I have no urge to revisit.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,987,359 times
In a sense, yes it is. I think L.A. is great, but it is home to the media which is known for hyping things up. It's not the best city for me, but still nice nonetheless. I think just about every major city is overrated to some extent.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:48 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
those cities it is not, but neither are those cities l.a. can you surf in any of those? hit up the mountains real quick? have year round awesome weather? drive into mexico?
if you are actor or in entertainment industry also it is #1 spot on the globe...
its just a very different type of city.
if ny/london/chicago are more of your type of city, yeah yo uaren't going to like it tha tmuch... i personally like those cities as well, so l.a. is not my cup of tea either.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:16 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Los Angeles isn't overrated so much as it is unapproachable. To someone who merely visits, only the problems are obvious. And it's strange because usually visitors only see the greener grass wherever they go. But the traffic, and the severe population crush, and the expensive everything... those the things people see.

Yet for those who live here, LA offers something no other city in the US does. Economic opportunity and entrepreneurial spirit is astounding. It's a self-made city of self-made millionaires, one that until recently rewarded people who got ahead on grit and intelligence. What the rest of the nation considers "fancy" is very much par for the course here. Creativity and novelty are both encouraged and expected.

So while I understand how others can see the shortcomings that seem to make this place overrated, tomorrow morning I'm going to step out of my home-- surrounded by green, verdant hills sparkling with gold and mist-- into balmy December weather. I'll cruise down the highway in my convertible, go shopping for friends, meet others for lunch, and generally enjoy life in the land of world class restaurants, shopping and unrivaled universities.

Maybe I'll go to the beach.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrubin View Post
My half-sister lives there, and I've been there three times. I really just don't get it. I went all over the city. Santa Monica is nice, but the people seem soulless and superficial. Bunch of humongous guys pumped up on steroids, and botoxed up chicks.

It just looked like a city with a culture of absolute confusion, basically what I'm saying is, it is just kind of a city of trash and freaks. I met nice people there, but overall, it's just not a classy city, and I've been all over the World.

It didn't have any of the charm of cities I've been to like NY, Chicago, London, or Boston. It's just lacking a charm that a major city needs. I don't know how to describe it, but LA is kind of missing something.

Then it was all like "Oh let's go to the nice areas, see where the movie stars live", so I play along like a sport. We go through Bel-Air, and Beverly Hills, and suddenly there's Hasidic Jews EVERYWHERE.

I'm half-Jewish myself, and I'm not particularly religious, but this was just creepy, I'm sorry.

It's like, the city of some sort of Hollywood comedown, almost nightmarish in a way. I have no urge to revisit.
Are you for real? Somehow, I don't think so!

Old 12-20-2009, 07:03 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
^ I know, lol. I got to that line and just started laughing. Like.....what!?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 PM

305 posts, read 685,200 times
LOL, oh jeez.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,087,987 times
I think you may be the minority here, I don't think LA is overrated.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 PM

981 posts, read 633,348 times
Depends on what you expected vs. what you saw/experienced, I guess. I can accept your opinion. However, from my perspective, LA is a bit underrated. It's a very unique place in the US, and stands apart from cities like Chicago, NYC, London, and other such places. I can't emphasize that enough.

I don't think LA is missing anything, because everything is already here.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Yet for those who live here, LA offers something no other city in the US does. Economic opportunity and entrepreneurial spirit is astounding. It's a self-made city of self-made millionaires, one that until recently rewarded people who got ahead on grit and intelligence. What the rest of the nation considers "fancy" is very much par for the course here. Creativity and novelty are both encouraged and expected.
LA is a great place to live, but kinda a crappy place to visit. Like you said, you can take the weekend to hit a great ski resort with 10 feet of base and fresh powder, surf overhead waves before work on Monday, party until dawn on Wednesday, take your SO out to world-class dining on Thursday, and catch a flight to Hawaii or Asia on Friday for another amazing weekend.

Or head down to the San Diego beach towns to hang out. Or head up to San Francisco for more culture, partying, and a real city center. Or Vegas. Or work on your home business LLC and make some extra cash.

LA is really unlimited, especially if you keep your eyes open and your mind sharp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.