U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,489,185 times

Advertisements

If you are willing to comrpomise a bit here and there, you will find plenty of places that come close. I'm not necessarily recommending this, but just using my location in Boston as an example:

• meets the weather criteria almost exactly
  • is very progressive
  • has dozens of universities
  • is near lots of lakes used for summer recreation

But skiing might require a bit of compromise. There is skiing quite close to Boston (less than 15 minutes for one small slope), but generally to get to the really good skiing, you are looking at 2 to 3 hours for something in Vermont or New Hampshire. Now if you want nordic skiing, that of course is easy to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenseslas View Post
I just checked Boulder, it's 55F, I was hoping I'd get no more than 32. You know the real winter experience, snowy roads, white Christmas.

PS: I must say I've always liked the Broncos, this may be the sign I am looking for. But for real what's up with the no snow in winter?
Yes, here in Colorado, it's typical to get spells from the winter. Starting tomorrow night, we're supposed to be getting a snowstorm that's supposed to bring about six inches. In late October, before Halloween, we had a two-footer, a footer not long after that, and several more minor snowstorms. About a week and a half ago, we had bitter cold for the entire week, with several sub-zero readings. But, between all of that, we get mild, sunny days mixed in as well. I for one, don't like the sunny days, and wish that winter was more harsh, but this is one of the few areas of the country where one can still have a winter without it being too overbearing, and many people here like that.

Believe me, we get snowy roads, and we are looking to have another White Christmas. In fact, we've had snow on the ground for Christmas each of the past two years that I've been here (in 2007, we had a pretty big storm, not to mention the Blizzard of 2006, but I wasn't here for that one).

You definitely get your fill of winter here, the great thing about it is that you can see winter in some form in about 8 different months of the year.

All of this applies to the Colorado mountains as well, I think you'd be surprised at how mild the winter (as a whole) is overall. The harshness isn't constant, but when winter weather is occurring, it can be very, very harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Spokane, WA
-Average Summer Temperature: 66F
-Annual Snowfall: 50.4 inches
-"Spokane lies on the eastern edge of the Columbia Basin steppe, a wide sloping plain that rises sharply to the east towards the forested Rocky Mountain foothills, the Selkirk Mountains. The city lies in a transition area between the desert-like Columbia Basin of central Washington and the forested mountains of north Idaho and northeast Washington. The highest peak in Spokane County is Mount Spokane at an elevation of 5,883 feet (1,793 m), located on the eastern side of the Selkirk Mountains." Wikipedia

Colorado Springs, CO
-Average Summer Temperature: 69F
-Annual Snowfall: 42.6 inches
-Rocky Mountains
I used to live in Spokane as well, and I didn't think to recommend it (even though it is my version of heaven)

The winter requirement might fit, they still haven't got much in the way of snow this year (though they had 100 inches last year), and winter is usually over and done by the beginning of March. Lots of overcast in winter there, and very short days.

There is skiing nearby, in WA, ID, and MT. Spokane, and all points north and east (up until the Continental Divide) are in a piney/foresty, hilly/mountainy area. Absolutely beautiful.

The summer requirement doesn't fit IMO. Summers in Spokane are hot as blazes, but spectacular IMO, and I am soooo not a summer guy. The average temp you gave is a combined high and low, and in Spokane 90's/100's aren't out of the question for much of summer. Virtually zero rain in summer as well (BTW, since I didn't mention, Colorado gets afternoon summer thunderstorms, almost daily). Spokane has extremely long summer days, think sunrise at 5am and sunset after 9pm.

Spokane has Gonzaga University, and some decent hospitals, but nothing "ranking up there" if you know what I mean. Spokane is not progressive, much more old-fashioned, but I find the people there to be amazingly great. Being European shouldn't be a problem there either, as I am of partial-minority background and had no problems there.

Wensesalas, you may want to give Spokane a look as well, I've written plenty of posts about both Spokane and Denver that you can use for your research.

As for Colorado Springs, winters are even milder than Denver's, yet summers are cooler. The natural setting is spectacular.

Colorado Springs is not known for its progressiveness, and is much more known as a bastion of conservatism, thanks to its military and religious influences. I will disclaim that I am not a huge fan of the place.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,121,470 times
If you can do without the lakes Flagstaff, Arizona might work for you. There are a few small lakes nearby, but not much in the way of cabins on the lake. The climate in Flagstaff is tough to beat.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,555,668 times
Interior New England including.....Hartford metro, Springfield metro and Pioneer Valley, Worcester metro, southern Vermont and southern New Hampshire..... anywhere away from the coast. Modest mountain ranges, very cold winters with lots of dry, powdery snow that lasts till spring and dry pleasent summers not too hot.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Just in case the OP wanted a taste of Denver's winter weather (this is today):

We won't have to dream of a white Christmas....

Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,772 times
I'm surprised Boston and eastern New England were not mentioned. Granted, I'm a New Yorker who's biased to the Northeast, but I must throw my support to this fantastic, compact, historic city. (Sorry New York)

Boston is a four-season city that is near the northern boundary of sub-tropical air masses and a more continental weather influence. Thus, winters are cold, though moderated somewhat by the Atlantic Ocean. Downtown Boston averages about 40-45 inches of snow. Amounts rise sharply due west of the city (45-60 inches as one heads toward Worcester) and also northwest into the hills and mountains of nearby New Hampshire.

Boston's winter weather includes a mix of snow storms, rain storms and rain/snow/sleet storms in the form of Nor'easters. Periodic easterly winds bring cloudy, raw weather in off the ocean. In the depth of winter this can cause ocean or "bay effect" snow -- a highly localized snowfall. Interlaced with such stormy weather are stretches of settled, dry, sunny and cold weather.

While not exactly alpine conditions, New Hampshire's White Mountain National Forest is spectacular! Heavy snowfalls occur throughout the winter months, sometimes extending into late April. Mount Washington, also in this region, is reputed to have some of the most severe year-round weather on the planet. The summit is definitely above the tree line. Winter highs are generally around 18-20 and lows around zero F. Summers on the summit are similar to arctic Alaska, believe it or not, with highs in the 50s and 60s. There is probably skiing that closely matches your needs.

Spring is probably Boston's least reliable season, very often living up the cliched mantra of "two steps forward, one step back." Cold ocean waters delay the true onset of spring. Late-season storms can still bring wet snow. But more often they can bring a frustrating damp chill. Eastern New England temperatures stabilize by May and June and settled weather is common. High temperatures rise into the 60s and 70s and humidity remains low.

Summer in Boston is probably a little beyond what you were looking for, but not bad considering US summer conditions. High temps are often in the low 80s and mid-season heatwaves can bring bursts of humidity and stifling warmth more typical for southern states and even Florida. Even so the still relatively cool waters help moderate temperatures. Most of Cape Cod and the picturesque off shore islands (about 70-100 miles southeast of Boston) often stay in the upper 70s. And just when the heat seems to intense, so-called "backdoor cold fronts" move in down the coast of Maine and back in to Massachusetts, providing relief.

Fall in Boston is also often gorgeous. The threat for intermittent heat and humidity usually passes by the second half of September. Remnants of tropical storms or the real thing can affect the region, but many storms do not survive that far north. September and October are typically settled months as temperatures gradually lower, but the drops are not as severe as the northern interior US or in the high elevation Rockies. Fall foliage begins in earnest by Columbus Day weekend, (second weekend in October) and depending on the season's weather, peaks by mid to late month.

Temperatures fall a little faster in November and the first average frost finishes off the last of the leaves. November begins the New England "chilly to cold season," lasting sometimes until mid April or a touch beyond. It's also the cloudiest time of year as northwest winds bring cold fronts, help steer the first winter storms north, and instability rain and snow showers blowing in all the way from the eastern Great Lakes.

On balance, Boston and its surrounding hills, mountains and beaches, give its residents a vigorous, changeable 4-season climate, though rarely extreme. Combine that with historic New England charm, centuries of history, a prideful streak of independence and major hospitals, universities, arts and culture all within a few minutes walk, make Boston an amazing place to call home! Sometimes I wish I lived there. :-)

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,146,115 times
Boston is too hot in the summer and too warm in winter.

I think Burlington, VT is probably the best fit on the east coast. Average highs in summer top 80 degrees. Average highs in January are in the mid-upper 20s. Average snowfall is about 80 inches.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,192 times
I agree that Boston doesn't exactly fit the OP's criteria - it's about 2 hours from serious Alpine skiing, snow in the winter is unpredictable (especially in recent years), and the average summer highs are slightly too warm.

Burlington, Vermont is a good suggestion. Other possibilities are Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Portland, Maine. These are both on the Atlantic Ocean so they enjoy a cooling sea breeze in the summer. They get a bit more snow than you asked for (closer to 70"). Each city is an hour drive from the White Mountains.

Portland, Maine:

Old Port, Portland, Maine on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebwhite/340242686/ - broken link)

Portsmouth, New Hampshire:

White Mountains:

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,072,249 times
Might consider the most northeast part of Ohio close to the southeast shore of Lake Erie. East of Cleveland close to the Pa. state line.
Plenty of snow in the winter. Lake effect.
Summers can get a little warm and humid with temps in July and August approaching 90 degress. But usualy in the 75 to 85 range.
There is Lake Erie for fishing, swimming, boating, etc.
There are many inland lakes and streams.
We don't have mountains to ski on but there are ski resorts within a short drive time.
You don't have to be a millionaire to live here.
Four seasons. The greenup in spring and the changing colors in fall are beautifull. Summer is great.
And then you get your snowy winter.
And the medical facilities are rated as some of the best in the country. Cleveland Clinic. University Hospital. Childrens Hospital in Akron has one of the highest rated burn units in the world. It's called Childrens Hospital but the burn unit is for anyone no matter the age. Burn victims are life flighted from other states to that burn unit. They are really good. I know from experience.
Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,449,496 times
Aside from the skiing you'd like Marquette, MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.