U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,450,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
Hi all,
I live in England and I am going to be a marine biologist. I am going University over here in England but after that I want to move to America because I love it! I'm into music and big cities. I will put up with any weather apart from extreme extreme heat. I have looked into many cities and I wold like to ask your opinions, out of these cites, on which city is for me....

New York -
Boston -
Chicago - love the city and love the aquarium!
Philly-
Tampa -
Atlanta - same reason as Chicago.
DC-
San Fran -
Houston -
San Deigo -
Seattle-

Most of these are close to the ocean so you would think marine biology oppourtunites would be there.

My current favourite is San Deigo because it looks beautifull and if i ever want to work more closely with Marine Mammal Seaworld is for me, however I know that San Deigo is expensive!!!

Your advice would be greatly appreciate thankyou
Your list looks good, you may also have interest in Honolulu... maybe Los Angeles as you have every other major CA city.

Though with Honolulu you have all the islands of Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 PM

412 posts, read 1,607,298 times
Boston, of the cities you listed, or, Honolulu.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 AM

59 posts, read 118,326 times
Hawaii is to far away for me so that is off the list

Old 12-24-2009, 02:07 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,414,333 times
Quote:
Does anyone know more about Philedelphia marine biology wise and in general, it looks beautifull???
I'm from the Philly area (Jersey), I don't know much about the marine biology area. I do know that Rutgers University is doing stuff over the river in Bivalve, NJ (middle of know where BTW) Let me know if there's anything you want to know!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,219,532 times
If you're interested in fresh water marine life, one of the country's best limnology programs is at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. No problems with extreme heat in Wisconsin.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,190,110 times
Go where you find a job obviously. I would look into Miami if you love the ocean.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,795,233 times
Seattle has an extensive marine biology and sciences stations in and around the city. Whale migrations occur in the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and is a popular tourist pull to see the Orcas come in. NOAA has a number of stations in the area. As an additional bonus, if you want to explore more northerly species there's frequent trips up to Alaska to track whale and saltwater fish migrations and the study of other fish species occurs in the many freshwater rivers. Many of the freshwater streams here are salmon runs, and the US Forest Service tracks them and other species, and study the effects of pollution, irrigation, and dams on native wildlife.

Weather wise, I think it will be the closest to your native England than any other city in the USA. Many Irish and British people I know who work for Boeing here equate the weather between their homelands and the city. Principally, Seattle is damp and overcast from late September to mid May, and sunny and glorious between May and September.

It rarely snows in Seattle proper, but there is a convergence zone just north around Everett and Bellingham, and the foothills and valleys of the mountains get plenty of snow.

Temperatures range from 22 deg C / 15 deg C hi/lo in the summer and days are typically sunny and dry. In the rain season it can vary from about 5 deg C / -2 deg C hi/lo in the winter and 15 deg C / 10 deg C hi/lo in the autumn and spring.

Affordability wise, Seattle is going to be cheaper than NYC, San Diego, San Fransisco, and LA, and m ore expensive than the rest of the cities on your list.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:16 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,051,512 times
Cross off Tampa from your list since you want to avoid extreme heat. IMO, the SF Bay area would be an incredible place to practice your profession and meets your "big city" criteria, too. I recall visiting some sort of marine "hospital" just north of Sausalito many years ago. Beautiful setting, it has a cool mission, and the staff seemed incredibly devoted. I don't remember the name of it.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,802,899 times
Quote:
Does anyone know more about Philedelphia marine biology wise and in general, it looks beautifull???
I have a lot of friends in Philadelphia, who are moving out. In fact most of the people I've met in Houston who come from the North are from Philly. Their extreme winters, population decline, job losses, and corruption in city legislatures (I don't know from experience, just stating what my friend has told me) make it a hard place to live. The suburb of Camden always ranks high, (top 3) for highest crime rate. Philadelphia itself is very high on crime rates.

I would say Jacksonville, Florida. Miami, Florida. Tampa, Florida (very ideal for low cost housing and great accommodations) and even Orlando, Florida are great for Marine Biology research. But the post above about Texas A&M at Galveston was right as well. The only problem is that Galveston is at risk of Hurricanes. Houston, for the most part is not, it happens rarely. And it's very close to Galveston. But the summers are very hot in Houston, but in all my years living there, I haven't felt the heat of Houston much, because everything is air conditioned.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I have a lot of friends in Philadelphia, who are moving out. In fact most of the people I've met in Houston who come from the North are from Philly. Their extreme winters, population decline, job losses, and corruption in city legislatures (I don't know from experience, just stating what my friend has told me) make it a hard place to live. The suburb of Camden always ranks high, (top 3) for highest crime rate. Philadelphia itself is very high on crime rates.

I would say Jacksonville, Florida. Miami, Florida. Tampa, Florida (very ideal for low cost housing and great accommodations) and even Orlando, Florida are great for Marine Biology research. But the post above about Texas A&M at Galveston was right as well. The only problem is that Galveston is at risk of Hurricanes. Houston, for the most part is not, it happens rarely. And it's very close to Galveston. But the summers are very hot in Houston, but in all my years living there, I haven't felt the heat of Houston much, because everything is air conditioned.

While I am not sure about Marine Biology opportunities in Philly, Philly is an amazing city, although preferance i think Philly may be much more similar to England than you would find in houston, actually my least favorite large city in the US.

Also Philly is growing but not at the rate of sun belt cities but provides a cultural and city experience (think one of only 5 or 6 downtowns of significance in the whole country) that would far surpass any of the SE or Sunbelt cites, especially from a european perspective.

But as someone said earlier, you may need to first identify job opportunities then decide the city that suits you best.

I wish you luck and hope you enjoy where you settle

I would also agree, not being an expert by any means, Miami appears to be a major center for what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.