U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM

443 posts, read 1,094,623 times

Advertisements

First of all, marine biology as a field is suffering. A friend of mine is a marine biologist and has worked in Florida, Australia, New Zealand, and Scotland - loved them all, but there wasn't enough work to stay in any of them. She's now working for a biotech company.

She did an MS in Florida and that's how she was able to get into the US. Getting a job in the US from the UK isn't impossible, but the F-1/OPT/H-1B route is an easier way to go.

It sounds like you're not even considering a postgrad degree: do you have any idea how many jobs there are out there for marine biologists that only require a BSc? I seriously recommend you look into a postgrad degree in the US, which would put you in poverty for a number of years but it WOULD get you into the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:32 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,512,693 times
Well, I live in Chicago and used to live in San Diego. They are both good places, but for different reasons.

Chicago has vibrant city life that San Diego lacks (although downtown San Diego is pretty good). On the other hand San Diego has pleasant climate year round and I'm sure being by the ocean is appealing to someone with your background. Chicago is a bit cheaper and you don't need a car to live here either.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,833,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well, I live in Chicago and used to live in San Diego. They are both good places, but for different reasons.

Chicago has vibrant city life that San Diego lacks (although downtown San Diego is pretty good). On the other hand San Diego has pleasant climate year round and I'm sure being by the ocean is appealing to someone with your background. Chicago is a bit cheaper and you don't need a car to live here either.
Chicago is way cheaper and has a lot more things to do. San Deigo is mainly for tourists, and it's a great city, I automatally loved it when I visited but Chicago is on a whole different level.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:48 AM

automatically*

Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 AM

Location: From the Shanghai Metro Region in China to the New York TriState Region in USA.
12 posts, read 25,244 times
Chicago and New York, because it is more fun and less boring and not so expensive in living, !

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate-95 Express View Post
Chicago and New York, because it is more fun and less boring and not so expensive in living, !
Haha NYC can be very expensive though, like even if you avoid living in the expensive areas the lifestyle will catch up to your savings account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.