U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is weather to you when moving to a new city?
1 - Weather is the MOST important factor in deciding where to live 8 9.30%
2 Weather is very important 40 46.51%
3 Weather is a bit important 17 19.77%
4 - neither more nor less important than anything else. 7 8.14%
5 Weather is not that important 6 6.98%
6 Weather is not very important 6 6.98%
7 - Weather is the LEAST important factor in deciding where to live 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,431,817 times

Advertisements

If you had an offer for a great job (after the recession ends) but it was in a city that had weather you hate, would you take it?

How important is weather to you when moving to a new city?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 PM

14,246 posts, read 44,937,745 times
For me, climate is critical, living somewhere that the "fun" cars and motorcycles have to be put away for "salt season" is almost like cutting my lifespan in half.

I'm talking regular "weather" here too, not to include floods, hurricanes, tornados...areas where these are a problem are also pretty much not gonna get any love from me either.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:38 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
For me it's important but not necessarily the only thing I look for. I'll consider moving to a city with a climate I don't particularly like if other aspects make up for it. For example, I would like to live in one of the major cities in the NE like NYC, Boston, or Philly despite them not having a favorable climate to me b/c other aspects of those cities make up for it, especially NYC. I've also considered living in Miami, for that city the climate is an important factor in me wanting to live there.

Of course I've never experianced living outside of CA so climate might be a bigger factor to me if I had actual experiance living in a cold weather climate. I feel like I could handle it but who knows, I might come running back to CA with my tail between my legs after one or two winters. Or I might appreciate the seasons despite the cold. Can't really say yet.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:42 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,244,369 times
Climate is important if outdoor living\ activities are important, but I would move to the East Coast to experience a different life style.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,708,562 times
It's strange that people always consider cold weather to be the only version of "unpleasant" weather.

I'll take gray skies and subzero windchill any day over the desert climate of Arizona or inland California. I'll trade on mild winters for the promise of that first day of spring when the world bursts into life again.

I've had nightmares about living in the dry, hot areas of the United States. That much dry, brown land in such a lifeless environment is terrifying to me.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,699,775 times
It's pretty obvious that the places that get less sun have unhappier, ruder people...whether that be in the U.S. or in Europe. And I have noticed that I start to get grumpy when the sun's been gone for too long...my frame or mind, my mood, and the disposition of the people around me is way too hard to ignore.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
It's strange that people always consider cold weather to be the only version of "unpleasant" weather.

I'll take gray skies and subzero windchill any day over the desert climate of Arizona or inland California. I'll trade on mild winters for the promise of that first day of spring when the world bursts into life again.

I've had nightmares about living in the dry, hot areas of the United States. That much dry, brown land in such a lifeless environment is terrifying to me.
That's a good point, it's not just cold weather I don't like but hot, dry and brown I don't care for either. I wouldn't want to live in a lot of inland SoCal and much of the Central Valley. I'd probably take much of the east coast over the deserts of the west b/c at least I would have several seasons with green and trees before winter sets in.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,990,280 times
It doesn't bother me too much unless I'm moving to Siberia or Saudi Arabia. I chose the 'a bit" option because I'm not obsessed with weather, but I am more cautious if I'm moving to an area with heavy winters.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 23 days ago)

10,507 posts, read 14,335,765 times
Number one concern would be COL of course. Then weather and availability of outdoor activities are a close second. No point in moving to a place with great weather if there is nothing for me to enjoy outdoors, such as lakes, mountains or beaches, etc. And the reverse is equally true. I've spent plenty of time being trapped indoors all the time because of miserable year round weather, No fun!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,431,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Of course I've never experienced living outside of CA so climate might be a bigger factor to me if I had actual experience living in a cold weather climate. I feel like I could handle it but who knows, I might come running back to CA with my tail between my legs after one or two winters. Or I might appreciate the seasons despite the cold. Can't really say yet.
Its funny you say that.

For me, even San Diego gets to cold

REALLY limits where I think I would be comfy living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.