U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,505 posts, read 3,844,973 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

We should add three new eastern states, England, Scotland, and Wales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Most Americans would not wish for Puerto Rico to become a state. Most Puerto Ricans do not wish for Puerto Rico to become a state. This is one of those rare geopolitical issues where both sides can be easily satiated - Independence for Puerto Rico. It would offend no one.
I don't think that many Puerto Ricans want independence. I think largely people are satisfied with the status quo, them as a commonwealth. I don't know if independence for Puerto Rico would be offensive, but I think it'd be confusing.

Still I'm not that against Puerto Rico being a state. I think it's a bit too underdeveloped and it'd be better if English was the common language, but it's not something I'd be dead-set against or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,191,396 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't think that many Puerto Ricans want independence. I think largely people are satisfied with the status quo, them as a commonwealth. I don't know if independence for Puerto Rico would be offensive, but I think it'd be confusing.

Still I'm not that against Puerto Rico being a state. I think it's a bit too underdeveloped and it'd be better if English was the common language, but it's not something I'd be dead-set against or anything.
It just doesn't make sense to consider making Puerto Rico a state. It's essentially a foreign land with radically different demographics, and most importantly, language, than the mainland. People can point to Hawaii as a similar case, but this is a historical case, and, as I pointed out earlier, a very different situation in terms of settlement of the islands. If we add Puerto Rico, we might as well add the Dominican Republic.

Americans don't want a Spanish-speaking state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
It just doesn't make sense to consider making Puerto Rico a state. It's essentially a foreign land with radically different demographics, and most importantly, language, than the mainland. People can point to Hawaii as a similar case, but this is a historical case, and, as I pointed out earlier, a very different situation in terms of settlement of the islands. If we add Puerto Rico, we might as well add the Dominican Republic.
I think a difference is Puerto Ricans were granted US citizenship in 1917. Truman apparently declared all people born in Puerto Rico after 1941 to be US citizens. Truman's signing off on that came in 1952 so most Puerto Ricans presumably have lived their lives as part of the US.

Also I don't know if there's any study or evidence indicating Americans don't want Puerto Rico as a state. Many of them likely don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,471 posts, read 7,288,883 times
Reputation: 2217
I, for one, would be in favor of Puerto Rico's statehood. They're already U.S. citizens anyway.

I agree with Thomas in the fact that many Americans don't really care or just aren't educated enough on the matter.

At PR's last vote, it was about a 50/50 vote on whether to gain statehood or remain at the status quo...with slightly more favor to status quo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,191,396 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think a difference is Puerto Ricans were granted US citizenship in 1917. Truman apparently declared all people born in Puerto Rico after 1941 to be US citizens. Truman's signing off on that came in 1952 so most Puerto Ricans presumably have lived their lives as part of the US.

Also I don't know if there's any study or evidence indicating Americans don't want Puerto Rico as a state. Many of them likely don't care.
Yes, Puerto Ricans have U.S. citizenship. This is not really the issue though. There's a difference between what Puerto Rico is enjoying now, as commonwealth status, and what it would mean to the U.S. to add a 51st state. Yes, most Americans are uneducated about Puerto Rico (as well as Guam, the Virgin Islands, and many areas within the mainland, but that's beside the point), but then again, most probably still see Hawaii and Alaska as exotic, foreign places, so that's irrelevant. Puerto Rico is majority Spanish-speaking. The U.S. is an English-language nation. It would be a terrible decision to add Puerto Rico unless the U.S. desires to become like the Russian Federation, which comprises various linguistic groups and ethnic enclaves in Eurasia. Take a look at Chechnya. Don't vote for this, America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
We should add three new eastern states, England, Scotland, and Wales.
If the European Union failed and the British wanted to join with the states, I would be all for it, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,191,396 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If the European Union failed and the British wanted to join with the states, I would be all for it, lol.
I was actually reading something a few nights ago about the possibility of the United Kingdom seceding from the bloated, corrupt, socialistic, and inefficient EU.

I think there would be more support for this in England than the rest of the UK, but we'll see after Brown gets the boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,454,505 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
What an odd idea. I think Puerto Rico is east of the East Coast and on occasion it's suggested it be a state.

Others suggest having states leave. I don't think that's a great idea, but maybe I could see Vermont being happier on its own or as part of Canada. Its economy is small enough we wouldn't lose much. New Mexico being given back to Mexico could maybe give a place for Mexicans wanting a higher quality of life without having them come to the US.

bad idea on New Mexico, I wouldnt want to be part of Mexico and I dont think anyone else would either, we would be our own country before anything else, we are different than any other state and like to keep it that way, we live in our own world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 3,191,396 times
Reputation: 1381
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
bad idea on New Mexico, I wouldnt want to be part of Mexico and I dont think anyone else would either, we would be our own country before anything else, we are different than any other state and like to keep it that way, we live in our own world.
What are the feelings in NM toward Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top