U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:07 PM

95 posts, read 57,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
People from Chicago sound like southerners.
HAHAHAHAA..... No, they don't

I enjoy the Chicago accent, the southern accent is just annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,150,737 times
Quote:
People from Chicago sound like southerners.
No they don't.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,005,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No they don't.
True, the Southern accent ends in Southern Illinois/Missouri, far south of St. Louis. Then it becomes completely Midwestern, but nasally.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 AM

4,474 posts, read 7,294,351 times
I don't mind the mid-western accent. Actually, I have friends in Buffalo that talk with that accent. IMO, it's certainly better than listening to a southern accent.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:08 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,381,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
The Fargo accent is a complete exaggeration, at least the one in the film. There are people that talk that way, don't get me wrong you can hear bits and pieces of it, but to a have full-blown Fargo accent you are either over 70 or live in a small isolated town in Northern MN or ND.
That's definitely true. Every time I've been in Minneapolis I've never really heard any of the accent. In North Dakota I've picked it up a little from certain people - but speaking generally of that region, the movie Fargo REALLY exaggerated the accent as far as everyone talking like that.

I wouldn't call that the "Midwest" accent either - it's pretty cornered up in the northern stretches of the Upper Midwest. Growing up in Iowa there was never an accent, or areas to the east and west of us. It's basically rooted in the Nordic languages that came over as immigrants. The places you'd most likely hear it is small towns where things haven't changed much in 100 years.

I've read a lot how national newscasters un-proportionately come from the Omaha-Des Moines-Illinois regions because they lack an accent and are easier to understand and come off as "unbiased" on a national level.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,150,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's definitely true. Every time I've been in Minneapolis I've never really heard any of the accent. In North Dakota I've picked it up a little from certain people - but speaking generally of that region, the movie Fargo REALLY exaggerated the accent as far as everyone talking like that.

I wouldn't call that the "Midwest" accent either - it's pretty cornered up in the northern stretches of the Upper Midwest. Growing up in Iowa there was never an accent, or areas to the east and west of us. It's basically rooted in the Nordic languages that came over as immigrants. The places you'd most likely hear it is small towns where things haven't changed much in 100 years.

I've read a lot how national newscasters un-proportionately come from the Omaha-Des Moines-Illinois regions because they lack an accent and are easier to understand and come off as "unbiased" on a national level.
My roommate in Denver was from West Des Moines and he spoke with a southern drawl.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:15 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,570,502 times
Chicago does not have a southern accent. If you meant southern Illinois, then yes, it definitely does.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don't mind the mid-western accent. Actually, I have friends in Buffalo that talk with that accent. IMO, it's certainly better than listening to a southern accent.
Actually, I should point out that there isn't really a "Midwestern accent." Buffalo is nowhere near the Midwest. The accent that you speak of is called "Inland North," and it's common throughout the Northeastern and Midwestern U.S., from Western New England to Northern Iowa. It is a fairly neutral accent.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Chicago does not have a southern accent. If you meant southern Illinois, then yes, it definitely does.
No I meant Chicago. Which southern accent does Southern Illinois sound like because we don't all sound the same...???

Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
No I meant Chicago. Which southern accent does Southern Illinois sound like because we don't all sound the same...???
Extreme southern IL residents sound like people from Kentucky and Tennessee. I don't see how Chicagoans sound southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or