U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I know the midwest gets an occasional bashing but we do have a distinct accent. Anyone like it. I wanted to shred the accent years ago but now decided its as distinct as any accent from any other part of the country.

the movie Fargo had some of the accent.
I know some of the people from Minnesota were angry about the way the accent was depicted in the film and I figured they had a reason, being from New Jersey and knowing how my state's speech is often wrongly depicted in pop culture.

But then one day I was watching one of those true crime shows and they interviewed someone who lived out in the country in Minnesota, and he spoke just like the characters in Fargo.

(And why was the movie called Fargo when most of it took place in Minnesota anyway????)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Our son is a broadcasting journalism major in college, and he has been told by many people in the business that the fact that he is a native of the NW Ohio/SE Michigan area means that he possesses the "Midwest Vernacular", which they tell him is the most desired "accent" for news stations all over the country looking to hire on-air reporters and anchors. I hope it helps him land a job when he graduates!
I believe that! The New York City anchors speak with that accent. It sounds fine except for that ever-present short "i" and "e" sameness that drives me nuts. "News at Tin".

Once in a while you hear anchors speak like the late Peter Jennings, using "oat" for "out". He was Canadian, but I think some of the northern US areas say that, too.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe that! The New York City anchors speak with that accent. It sounds fine except for that ever-present short "i" and "e" sameness that drives me nuts. "News at Tin".

Once in a while you hear anchors speak like the late Peter Jennings, using "oat" for "out". He was Canadian, but I think some of the northern US areas say that, too.
That's definitely Ohio. Michiganders don't say that.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:33 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,950 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3i6YHyB6k

Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
That's definitely Ohio. Michiganders don't say that.
Thanks. I don't know enough about States Far From the Ocean to know the different speech patterns.

Michigan does have a pretty nice big lake there, though.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm from Chicago and have often been accused of having some of the accent (mixed with a bit of New England linguistic holdovers, specifically related to my somewhat tenuous relationship with the letter 'r'), and have never once been told I sound like I'm from the south by any of my friends who are actually from the south. In fact, as one who has traveled a bit in the south, I'm utterly perplexed by the notion that Chicago speech, part of the linguistic region of the US known as the Inland North, could be confused with a southern accent.

That being said, a lot of African Americans in Chicago have southern roots, and due to our history of southern migration and segregation, that is noticeable in the accents of many African Americans in the Chicago area.
Bingo!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've lived in the Midwest my whole life, and I don't think I've ever heard "ruff" for "roof." Also, ending a sentence with the word "with" - where is that common? I'm not familiar with it.
First person I heard say that was a native Chicagoan. When I moved to the Twin Cities, I heard it lots more. I think it is German sentence construction.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm from Iowa and no one has a fargo accent. In the smaller towns they may a bit of a drawl, but in the cities I'd have to say the accent is pretty flat. When I hear the fargo accent, I don't think of the Midwest.
I went to college in Iowa and met many people from all over the state. The people in the Southern part of the state have a distinct drawl, similar to Missouri. I remember meeting a girl from Fort Madison who told me that town is nicknamed "The Pin City". I thought there might've been a safety pin factory there or something, but it turned out she was referring to Schaefer pen factory, the town's largest employer at the time. People from Northern IA, however, sound more like Minnesotans to me.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Bingo!
As awkward as it is to have "segregated" discussions, that's really what you need to do when talking about accents. Because the reality is, in fact, quite segregated. White accent distributions and black accent distributions are two completely different subjects. The black accents have a single point of origin (the South), whereas the white accents do not.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,426 times
Oops somehow I thought this was a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or